Author Topic: More informative Trainer interface  (Read 624 times)

Can-ned Food

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Many ask what The Can contains, but few will know.
    • View Profile
    • an OpenDocument Spreadsheet for planning your character's stats profile
More informative Trainer interface
« on: September 26, 2018, 06:28:12 pm »
So, I made up a spreadsheet which correlates the costs of training and all that; I can refer to it as needed.

However, what is much more difficult to gather is the range wherein a trainer can feasible train a skill.
My concern is not so much for knowing the max level:  once you've surpassed that, or if you already surpassed it from the time you arrived in Hydlaa, it isn't much of a concern to you.  You get better RP by requiring new players to seek out trainers and effectively inquire as to whether that person has any ability to train them.

What concerns me is that many trainers seem to have a minimum level.  One of my characters has all her stats below 90, and most below 70.  Many of the trainers in Ojaveda are unable to train her — what is she to do?  What if she wishes to live in Ojaveda and spend as little time in Hydlaa as possible — where she does not feel comfortable or at–home for some reason?

Solutions:
  • Simply show the min, and maybe the max, somewhere in the trainer interface.  There is plenty of room in the Stats And Skills window to show that; maybe, if a stat or skill cannot be trained, replace the bar with a small block of text that shows the necessary minimum level.
    It needn't be a precise number:  color coding or simple words like “immature” and “almost there”, or even better ones, could work.
  • Add a response to the /tellnpc which does much the same as the above.

Are there some trainers who were simply never assigned any stats or skills which they could train?

(Personally, of course, I would much rather implement training through quests, NPC dialogue, and experience — but that has been, and should be, discussed as a separate concern.)
Gedundk Kokro, kran
Ailela Belair, nolthrir
Hwokmar Cmar, ynnwn

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • you can always find me on IRC: JeHugawa @freenode
    • View Profile
Re: More informative Trainer interface
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 08:07:52 pm »
Well, what can i say. The whole training thing is kind of dead and it's not going to be 100% similar in the unreal version. You could look for the streams in youtube to see sneakpeeks of them as i don't remember the details. But yeah currently it's a bit annoying that you can't know which NPC is a real trainer and which is not.