Author Topic: "Save" points  (Read 814 times)

lostprophet

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
"Save" points
« on: September 12, 2003, 02:29:26 pm »
If you were high level magic and the materials or had a lot of money to buy one, you could be able to drop a teleportal thingy that you could go through, maybe a limited amount of times. Then, if you were adventuring and needed to rest, you could teleport back outside the dungeon and stop at an inn, then teleport back.

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2003, 03:03:02 pm »
So.... an object with a teleport spell which has limited uses. I dont think it would work, because although you would have to be a high stats, alot of people would reach that lvl, and then we\'d have everyone teleporting everywhere. And I\'m not sure the devs wanted that..
(plz correct if I\'m wrong  :D )

sashok

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2003, 03:08:46 pm »
sounds like NWN to me where you have the teleportation stone.

It\'s not a bad idea, but I would agree if it\'s price would be very expensive just for very serious purposes or quests and not everyminute use.

KwartzTheKran

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2003, 03:15:30 pm »
ya lazy young uns nowadays! tha dont even know what tha legs are for, not like when i were a kid, we used to have to walk 15 Miles! tin snow to work then 20 Miles back, oooh young uns nowadays!

Im very much against all kind of teleportation type things but the way u describe it it doesnt sound too bad =D =)

-----I\'LL LEAVE YOU ALL BEHIND-----      ( *hugs Moogie* - sorry )

lostprophet

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2003, 03:23:37 pm »
Why thank you gramps...

It would have to be quite expensive to both make and buy, as certain materials would be needed.

Drilixer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2003, 07:07:03 pm »
Personally I don\'t like teleportation systems because they breed laziness and powergamers... if you dont understand that - just keep it at this - I want players to enjoy every inch of the settings that we are coming up with instead of getting into the habit of skipping over it.

hook

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Hook's Humble Homepage
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2003, 09:46:01 pm »
as another \"gramps\" i\'d have to agree with Drilixter and Kwartz ...teleporting makes too much problems. e.g lazy \"powerusers\" and i always thought PS was great because there was non of that standard \"teleport me to the dungeon\" and \"yipes! let\'s all teleport back to the temple, before it kills us!!\" ...and then you get healed, get back, get your ass (almost) kicked, teleport etc etc.

but on the other side i\'d have to say that getting or making a teleporter that\'d work only for a limited number of times is a new thing (to me) and i think it\'d solve most of this problems ...imagine having to BUILD your own teleporter (possible puzzle minigame/intermezzo?) which would work only 5 times ...and no, you won\'t be able to get/build (or use) another one on this level (read http://www.planeshift.it if you don\'t know what i mean) ...that could work
:emerald: The Treecastle *will* stand !!! :emerald:

in-game name: Seeln

Tranor

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2003, 11:06:01 pm »
ima keep this short.. i also agree with Dril and Kwartz for reasons just like Dril\'s part of the fun in RPG\'s is the settings and PS has some of the best surroundings in any MMORPG ive ever played and im sure they will be greatly improved one in CB!
..:Tranor:..

sashok

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2003, 11:43:23 pm »
But you are not listening to me.  Teleport should be available when doing the hardest quests and it should be really hard to get and very expensive.   This would help out though at the really important quests, but it would cost you.  And if it\'s only 2 or up to 6 teleports in total it obviously won\'t be used every where by everyone.

Fanomatic2000

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2003, 03:42:26 am »
Part of the fun is traveling. It\'s when you travel you meet all those interesting people, see all those incredible landscapes, find secret passages and set up those cosy campfires where you cook food and tell the younger adventurers about your incredible adventures etc.

And all this you want to skip? Shame on you! :)

Be a member of our Mirthful community.
Join us today!   :]

Note:  This is my old account. I am now known as \"Jadd\".

Xalthar

• Forum Addict
  • Tisfjæsing.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2003, 08:11:40 am »
Originally posted by Fanomatic2000
Part of the fun is traveling. It\'s when you travel you meet all those interesting people, see all those incredible landscapes, find secret passages and set up those cosy campfires where you cook food and tell the younger adventurers about your incredible adventures etc.

And all this you want to skip? Shame on you! :)

I totally agree with Fanomatic! This is what I miss most in all rpg\'s... I\'ve actually only played ONE game where I got this cosy feeling from sitting at a campfire (and it was singleplayer)

I\'d love to rpg to the max, and teleporting does promote powerleveling.. And people who powergame are boring :P

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2003, 09:39:20 am »
Originally posted by sashok20
But you are not listening to me.  Teleport should be available when doing the hardest quests and it should be really hard to get and very expensive.   This would help out though at the really important quests, but it would cost you.  And if it\'s only 2 or up to 6 teleports in total it obviously won\'t be used every where by everyone.

I don\'t think u understand, it\'s the not being able to teleport which is what makes that very hard quest hard. And also people arn\'t gonna just use them for hard quests, they\'ll use them for long distance travelling. To make them so that they only work in certain quests would take alot of the devs time, which could be used for better things.

I think I\'ll join the \'grampses\' and go against it. lol
« Last Edit: September 13, 2003, 09:40:55 am by Xordan »

sashok

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2003, 11:51:22 am »
I still think that a player should have a choise, and if a player wants to spend more than half of his savings on 4 teleportations, it should be available.  First there won\'t be any abuse because of it\'s price, second of all it will be an option, which is always good thing.

lostprophet

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2003, 03:38:41 pm »
I just put it up for you lot to discuss, and you\'ve swayed me... I go with lixalot and the rest, teleporting is bad. By the way, what was the game that gave you the cosy feeling inside xalthar? I\'m curious.

Edit: typo\'s
« Last Edit: September 13, 2003, 03:39:04 pm by lostprophet »