Author Topic: "Monsters?"  (Read 531 times)

Silvereign

• Traveller
    • View Profile
"Monsters?"
« on: September 17, 2003, 08:10:33 am »
I\'ve been wondering something for a long time. Why are monsters dangerous? Should they be dangerous? Don\'t monsters posses a brain as well?

Even monsters have to eat, sleep and live somewhere. Why should they always attack you? Because you\'re a player? What if you don\'t want to attack? What if you try to make peace with the monster? Why is it ALWAYS impossible? There is always a chance.

Perhaps that it doesn\'t make much sense to anyone here, but I would like to see monsters that are intelligent for a change. Alright, so we got this large killer lizard, and it\'s obvious it wants to attack you. Why? We don\'t know. All it does is try to kill you. Why? No reason.

A monster should have a reason to do something. Was it protecting its territory? Is he hungry? Did you disturb his nap/meal? If so, show us the proof that he was doing so. No \"he was disturbed during his meal\" without a corpse lying around. A corpse of a animal that actually was killed by it.

What I seek is realism, and without the true proof of something there is none. If you disturbed a monster during his sleep, shouldn\'t he be a little weaker then usual?

These things are all small details, I don\'t expect them to appear in PlaneShift, but I just wanted to tell you all that this is what we need. Details and realism.

\"The truth is nothing more then a certain simple thought, which you may think of as true.\"

Moogie

• Forum Legend
  • Artist/Flash Animator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2003, 08:33:24 am »
That would be great, but you\'re talking about a MMORPG here. The game needs to be able to run on machines with low specs and 56k connections.

Also you must consider the development team. Who are they? Volunteers. I\'d expect the sort of things you suggest from top-notch games developers such as Lionhead Studios, but not from PS.

(No offense devs, if you prove me wrong that\'s great, but I really don\'t expect you to have the time and skill to develop something that has never been done in a game before; the things that have been suggested above.)

If I were you, I\'d drop my level of expectation a little. That way you\'re never disappointed. :)

Keldorn

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2003, 09:33:16 am »
Daggerfall had something like this. You didn\'t have to fight certain (monster)races if you didn\'t want to. If you spoke the language of a certain race well enough (orc, imp, centaurian, whatever). You could try to talk to them and convince them that you meant them no harm or whatnot. After that they left you alone and went about their business.
Ofcourse you could train these skills and learn more languages throughout your journeys.

Ah yes Daggerfall, such a great game.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2003, 09:36:55 am by Keldorn »
m.vanes

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2003, 09:53:56 am »
Maybe an easier way to do it would be to have a reputation for animals system, where say a hunter would be more likely to be attacked than a druid.

Moogie

• Forum Legend
  • Artist/Flash Animator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2003, 10:07:04 am »
Originally posted by Xordan
Maybe an easier way to do it would be to have a reputation for animals system, where say a hunter would be more likely to be attacked than a druid.

That sounds better. :)

elscouta

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2003, 10:29:45 am »
Originally posted by Mogura
That would be great, but you\'re talking about a MMORPG here. The game needs to be able to run on machines with low specs and 56k connections.

But this is server-side stuff...

Also you must consider the development team. Who are they? Volunteers. I\'d expect the sort of things you suggest from top-notch games developers such as Lionhead Studios, but not from PS.

(No offense devs, if you prove me wrong that\'s great, but I really don\'t expect you to have the time and skill to develop something that has never been done in a game before; the things that have been suggested above.)

Don\'t think it\'s so hard to implement. Monsters that only attack when you enter in their territory or when they are hungry doesn\'t need complex algorythm, thousand of code lines or graphical stuff. Only some checks and a few new fields in structs... Of course i agree, this is not a critical point and should not be put in PS before much time. Devs, am i wrong?
High Loremaster of the Arcane Order.