Author Topic: Experience for roleplay  (Read 901 times)

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Experience for roleplay
« on: January 06, 2002, 05:04:31 pm »
THIS MESSAGE IS TAKEN FROM OLD BOARD:

LyssiahStormWhisperer
                            posted 31-10-2001 04:52 GMT        

This is the first of many wishes I hope to present to the GM\'s of this proposed game.

Far too many rpg\'s require killing as the one source of \"leveling up\" a character, outside of skills.

I wish this game grant experience based on roleplay. No, not the kind that an NPC gives a quest then you bring certain items
                         and the quest is complete.

I do understand this will require the watchful eye of the GM team to maintain characters to be on the lookout for roleplayers and
                         the ability to grant experience based on how much effort is put into roleplaying a character. However, even in the D&D guides,
                         DM\'s are given the ability to award experience based on more than hack and slash through a given quest. Sometimes, if a
                         character thinks through as task without bloodshed, he/she may find other ways of solving it. After all, we are not all barbarians.

I am envisioning a daily romp through the land by a GM character at random spots and random times. Perhaps a drunken man in
                         the corner of a tavern, or a muttering old crone in a library. Depending on who interacts with him/her, they can be granted
                         experience points, even for at least trying. Heck, even have the GM watch a certain area on the map and for each show of
                         roleplay, grant a blanket amount of experience in a given area, such as a church.

This won\'t impose on a GM\'s time. It will also enhance the use of roleplay, since one can never know if the person is being
                         watched.
    Thekkur
    PS W.T.B. Member
                            posted 31-10-2001 10:13 GMT            

Great idea! It could also be combined with my idea of implementing characters in-game that played a certain role in history. An
                         old man sitting in the corner of a tavern could actually be a high level wizard that has battled against a rage of trolls long before
                         the game actually started. This will mean that the PC hasn\'t been in this battle for real, but roleplays like he has. He could even
                         have a mayor role in an old book in the library.

GM\'s could play such characters, divide xp and maintain some order in the game too. (as for they are of extremely high level,
                         they can easily dispose of PKers and players that disbehave themselves.)

Thekkur
    PS Official Member
                            posted 01-11-2001 03:53 GMT            

I personally like the idea, and it is my personal preference. I would love to be a player of that nature, as when I roleplay, I *really*
                         roleplay. I agree with you that players that roleplay in nother manner than just hack and slash should be able to be rewarded as
                         well.
    ParaSite
                            posted 04-11-2001 22:58 GMT            

In Baldurs Gate, you get XP for completing quests, no matter how u complete it. The amount of XP gained is much more then u
                         get for plain killing. Most XP is gained when u solve a quest and everybody involved is happy :)
    Shadow
                            posted 02-01-2001 00:34 GMT            

*Bump*
    icebolt
    PS W.T.B. Member
                            posted 02-01-2001 14:03 GMT            

This is very interesting... Would GMs have the ability to reward people with XP in game? That would be great.
    stickman
                            posted 03-01-2001 04:34 GMT            

i dont think that would really work

favoratism would come into affect!

say lil me is from some weirdo time-zone that no GM is... how am i suppose to get XP from roleplaying? Also, who\'s to say who
                         gets how much experience from roleplaying... say im trying really hard killing monsters 24/7 trying to lvl up... then some guy
                         comes along who barely plays and barely roleplays just happens to run into a GM and gets exp for it? How could u judge who is
                         doing more work if it is done on a random basis?

one guy could be pooring his heart out trying to roleplay and another joe smoe could just get lucky.

one thing i dont understand is why u would want to do exp like this anyway. i could simply be roleplaying saying im some great
                         warrior whos neva been defeated. but its all just talk. whereas the person who actualy is lvling up is really living the tale u just
                         told. roleplaying takes like 2 seconds to BS something, DOing what u say is another matter..

the way u guys are looking at it is that roleplaying is like the opposite of lvling up. But thats not true, lvling up is just progressing
                         in the game. Its not like people who lvl up dont roleplay. there is always room for both. I dont see why some person who talks all
                         day long should get any exp when they could be lvling up and STILL roleplaying. Its not like u cant do both.
    Bigfoot
                            posted 03-01-2001 06:06 GMT            

PlaneScape Torment is a perfect example of this... there are many situations where a player gains EXp from verbal quests, and
                         none lethal means. not to mention the odd situation where you can talk your way out of a potentialy hostile situation and gain far
                         more EXp from the peacefull outcome than from going in swords swinging (Althopugh that is to compensate for loseing the
                         chance of recieving a magical weapon or item).

The main thing is to make them random, diverse and none exploitable.
    Shadow
                            posted 03-01-2001 14:59 GMT            

What we are talking about here is to try to make powergaming a less rewarding thing than roleplaying.
                         To use dialog options as more rewarding than killing sprees is a very good idea and also much more fun.
                         How fun is it to walk around and kill everything in sight.
    stickman
                            posted 04-01-2001 07:51 GMT            

its accually really fun...

i see what u 2 are saying about picking non violent options, thats fine, but thats what i kinda call quests where they are set up or
                         whatever that isn\'t roleplaying...

the thing i dont like is people giving other people EXP.