Author Topic: Guild Levels  (Read 795 times)

AendarCallenlasse

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Guild Levels
« on: February 10, 2004, 02:59:45 pm »
Probably been discussed, but just in case in hasn\'t I will post it here.  I don\'t how revamped the guildsystem in CB is going to be.

My guild, the CV, has 12 different positions, but only 7 different levels.  The Cora is one level; the Kano and Val\'istar are of equal authority so they are one level; the Yeste\'Ohtar is one level; the Nikerym are one level; the Belegkhila, the Cuar, the Dinafea, the Akh\'faern, and the Fallaner are all of the same authority so they are one level; And then the Seere Yaa and the Khila each occupy their own level.  Now this makes the guild system in place a little awkward.  I could always lump the positions into one level and have an arbitrary name for that level but I feel that that would ruin the feel for it.  I\'d like each job to have their own title but not have one job a higher level than another job of equal authority.

So my suggestion is some sort of system that will allow the guildmaster to customize the levels and jobs of the guild chain of command.  Or have it so more than one job title can be assigned to a given level.

Only n00bs don't quote themselves...
<Aendar>...

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 03:04:35 pm »
Hmm, it has been discussed... and venge replied. I want that to happen as well. The Cabal have a similar system. I\'ll try and find the thread with it on.

jcterminal

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 03:04:58 pm »
maybe you have too many positions?

AendarCallenlasse

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 03:08:36 pm »
Ah good then it has been brought to there attention.  And JC, 12 positions is hardly too many.  Besides if every guild had only 9 positions where would the diversity be?

<Aendar>...

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004, 03:10:21 pm »
Here it is:

http://planeshift.oodlz.com/wbboard/thread.php?threadid=6809&boardid=11&styleid=3  

maybe you have too many positions?

No way. And that isn\'t the whole point. Have 9 set ranks only take alot of the RP out of it. No guild would have exactly the same number of ranks as another on purpose. So with every guild having 9 ranks, with no \'off-shoot\' ranks, is just extremely stupid.

But apparently, some Devs don\'t seem to think like that.  X(

AendarCallenlasse

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004, 03:12:57 pm »
Well I think they just chose it so that people would be able to use the commands and all in-game.  I\'m sure it will be more complex in the future.  Oh and thanks for the link X.

<Aendar>...

jcterminal

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004, 06:01:57 pm »
if you have more than 9 positions, that\'s not a guild anymore, that\'s a freakin\' bureaucracy.

diversity comes with the characters themselves, and the titles bestowed on them, not the rank they have in the guild.

Originally posted by AendarCallenlasse
Ah good then it has been brought to there attention.  And JC, 12 positions is hardly too many.  Besides if every guild had only 9 positions where would the diversity be?

Kixie

• Veteran
  • I chase the moon, liquour, cars and women.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2004, 06:44:31 pm »
well i think there should be a nice litte screen that comes up when you start a guild that shows paths and stuff like a tree diagram. That way you could see which rank goes up to which other rank and how many positions there are on one rank.

Levski

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2004, 06:46:01 pm »
I agree with Aendar here.  To have a fixed guild leveling system would be like saying that all governments everywhere are alike.  Which they arent, from my point of view.

Having a customizable system would make the leveling easier for larger guilds, or broad guilds.  I believe that Aendar envisions a large guild because he has many open positions.  Imho, I think that the leveling system should reflect the size of the guild, or the number of specific proffessions pursued in a guild.
Ingame name:  Nuv Cerdyn  ~   Member of: The Blitzers Guild

Axsyrus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2004, 07:21:39 pm »
uhmm.. I already posted a solution in the original thread.. I\'ll post it here too then :P

Originally posted by Axsyrus
Why not just make Ranks and Permissions a seperate thing?

For example, on the ArcaneOrder website, we have a member management script(elscouta wrote it  ), we have 9 ranks, but only 5 types of permissions, for example, My rank is NightBlade, but my permissions are level 5 (as I\'m the webmaster, so I need to have access to everything).

so why not do something like this in PS:

a User Account would have the following info.
Name, ID, Race, Skin(etc.), Items(etc.), Guild, Rank, Permissions, and probably some more stuff.

So a guild could have a member with a level 1 rank but with level 9 permissions, you could also just remove the whole \"only 9 ranks thingie\" and make it only 9 permission ranks instead, so you could have as many ranks as you want, those would be like names, but you can only give a member 1 out of the 9 permissions.

Axsyrus the Azure - Ruler of the Winds
Member of The Arcane Order\'s Council

jcterminal

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2004, 11:12:47 pm »
what Axsyrus said.

Cyrandir

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2004, 04:50:36 am »
Axsyrus, good idea, I agree

\"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.\"    - Galileo Galilei

Axsyrus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2004, 10:02:23 am »
I just asked in the dev channel and for CB it will be something like this.
You still have 9 ranks, but you can, if you want, give each rank the same permissions. So you can still only have 9 ranks(should be enough..), but you don\'t have to have each rank higher than the other.

Axsyrus the Azure - Ruler of the Winds
Member of The Arcane Order\'s Council

tangerine

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2004, 01:51:02 pm »
Not exactly. You may have same permissions but not the same final rights. Because permissions are limited by level.

For example if level 7 and 8 both have right to kick members, there is still a difference:

7 can kick only members whose lvl < 7
8 can kick only members whose lvl < 8

i.e. 8 can kick 7 but not the other way round
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 01:55:03 pm by tangerine »