Author Topic: "noob" world  (Read 1423 times)

Covetski

"noob" world
« on: June 28, 2004, 10:41:50 pm »
I think it would be a good Idea to create a \"noob\" world later on in the game dev. I really do not like the way some people react to noobs, take runescape for example NO appretiation for noobs, as a result, less new customers, a seperate world would advance friendship in the game and make it more social instead of hack-n-slash based.

All ne chars start on this noob world, and they can pick up tools to use to create tools for other new noobs, this chain would grant a constant (hopefully) regeneration of tools for new chars and players. After a certain lvl the players will be booted onto the mainland. the two worlds would be interconnected, (same server) but one cannot go back to noob

this feature should come way though. this subject also has an idea afterwards:clans

josephoenix

• IRC Op
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 11:01:21 pm »
A quick search for \"noob world\" reveals 10 other threads + yours in the wishlist forum... There\'s a pretty good chance that what you said has been said before in one of those... (Just about) Every MMORPG (and other games too) Have some sort of \"tutorial\" level before you go \"out into the wild\" so this is, depite the planeshift ideal of breaking the mold, an almost prerequesite for the whole thing to \"work\".

I do give you credit for the idea of having newbies do more than just learn the ropes in the tutorial level (instead, like you said, they feel like they\'re doing something by making weapons & tools & whatnot)

josePhoenix
Sir John Falstaff: "Let the skie raine Potatoes: let it thunder, to the tune of Greenesleeues"

Covetski

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 11:09:50 pm »
not TUTORIAL a whole noob world as in people play in in as they would on \"main land\" except it is easier to survive a tutorial is a seperate topic on it\'s own the way I am viewing it

josephoenix

• IRC Op
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 11:15:47 pm »
Oh. Okay.

That poses some problems... say you invite a friend to planeshift and need him to join and get to your guild HQ so he can get a position before someone else fills it, like guild artist which doesn\'t have as much bearing on their in-game stats. The other person will be at an obvious advantage, making your friend lose the position to a presumably inferior candidate.

Also, imagine what would happen if all the annoying \"spoon-feed me info! Now!\" type newbies were locked up in one world... when/if you get the desire to create a second character you will have to wade thru a sea of those types of people to get through and out of the world. Not a very elegant solution from that standpoint....

josePhoenix
Sir John Falstaff: "Let the skie raine Potatoes: let it thunder, to the tune of Greenesleeues"

Covetski

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004, 11:19:24 pm »
perhaps, but the spoon feed me doesn\'t work in this case, a person cannot go back to this world to actually do the spoon feeding, and if you just keep to your self and not go bragging \"I\'m not a noob I have another char\" then people won\'t swarm you.

Altharion

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004, 03:22:33 am »
the suggestion is too troublesome.

Kuiper7986

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2004, 10:20:02 pm »
This idea is just Tibia. But in Tibia you can choose to leave Rookgard if you want to.
My name is NOT pronounced, \"Kway-per,\" it\'s pronounced \"Kye-per.\"

John_Thazer

• Hydlaa Notable
  • From the ivory tower, I gaze upon thee
    • View Profile
    • Chaotic Warriors
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2004, 03:28:03 am »
Originally posted by Kuiper7986
This idea is just Tibia. But in Tibia you can choose to leave Rookgard if you want to.

Rookgard is probably the most interesting part of Tibia...because you are actually working towards something...rather than walking and killing...rot worms...so booooooooorrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiing :P

But i don\'t think that planeshift should have a \"n00b world\"....

You can try, but you shall fail! Seek us not, we shall find you.

Syzerian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2004, 04:51:14 am »
well i think this \'noob world\' should just be like a training camp to the side of hydlaa so if a newbie asks you something you can direct them to the camp. the first time you leave hydlaa it should also have a pop-up box advising you to go to the training camp before entering the wild.
or there could just be books designed to be read by newbies telling them the basics and more advanced things, or we could just blame all the newbies for not reading the main website :rolleyes:

josephoenix

• IRC Op
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2004, 08:27:16 am »
Maybe this training camp should have an electronically administered IQ test. The results of this test are on your profile and if you score in the single digits its auto-pk to remove you from the genepool. Wait, death isn\'t permanent. Dang.

Newbies should take responsibility for furthering their own knowledge, that isn\'t a mantle to be taken up by the developers and the community. And a lot of them do, its just that we only notice the ones who don\'t. Well, of course, the ones who bettered their knowledge via the guide and whatnot blend in with the regulars. There is no reason to notice them unless they say something like \"Hi everyone! I\'m new to planeshift\" in which case you give the appropriate response that they should have fun, there ain\'t much to do, and they can contact you if they have questions or want to join your guild. The \"other\" newbies stand out because of their glaring lack or literacy. Or something like that. They can\'t read a guide shoved under their nose via macro sometimes. Sadly. In their defense, not all of them are so stupid, but to my dismay this is becoming the norm rather than the option online nowadays. *sigh*

josePhoenix

Aeterus

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2004, 07:19:23 am »
I think noob worlds are a good idea, even if it\'s one city, or island, which has only a one way ticket out.
Farther more you mentioned crafting and learning the game\'s interface, so for example the ticket out costs some money and say a simple monster trophy, so people have to learn how to make money and the basics of combat - and once they learn enough it\'s represented in enough money for the one-way ticket :]

I personally hate how people treat noobs in most games. face it, we were all noobs at some point, and i hate to break it to you, we are still all bloody noobs who think they aren\'t ones :P
If the game doesn\'t have a noob world, there will *always* be new noobs, and there will be a constant question chatter, which, as much as i don\'t mind helping here and there, i think it substracts from everyone\'s roleplaying atmosphere.

Thumbs up Covetski =]

That poses some problems... say you invite a friend to planeshift and need him to join and get to your guild HQ so he can get a position before someone else fills it, like guild artist which doesn\'t have as much bearing on their in-game stats. The other person will be at an obvious advantage, making your friend lose the position to a presumably inferior candidate.

Also, imagine what would happen if all the annoying \"spoon-feed me info! Now!\" type newbies were locked up in one world... when/if you get the desire to create a second character you will have to wade thru a sea of those types of people to get through and out of the world. Not a very elegant solution from that standpoint....

As much as i hate to start flame wars, i just want to share with everyone how much i feel sick after reading this thing.
So noob world aren\'t ok, because they don\'t allow your noobish friend to get to your 1337 guild and get a headstart on other noobs.
And i really shed a tear that you\'ll have to play a few hours in a noob world, must be a traumatic experience.
Of course you wouldn\'t think of the bright side where veteran players could help beginners a bit while they are doing their chores to get back to the mainland.

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2004, 08:36:53 am »
No, Most of us start as newbies, not noobs.

And what\'s wrong with giving a friend a head start? I certinally will be sharing my considerable wealth around to the less fortunate, (Terms and conditions apply, if you\'re still in full time education Tax is not applied ;))

The only thing I\'ll be doing if I\'m forced to spend a few hours in a \'noob world\' will be griefing as many people as possible to show my disapproval. :P

Crj

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2004, 09:07:42 am »
People who dont read any F.A.Q.s deserve to be flamed. Thats the only way they will learn to read! Its realy annoying if n00bs ask you how to open doors 10 times a day or more.
I agree with Xordan about the n00b and newbie thing.
I dont like the idea of a newbie land. There is nothing to be afraid of! No PKs or other evil stuff. CB will have an cool Help system, someone should teach the n00bs to read that.
As i see you mentioned Runescape, as you see its censored, for a good reason no dout.
If some n00bs wont read F.A.Q.s and help the can always bug GMs(trust me, in CB it will be easy :P )
A newbie land sounds like powerleveling to me anyway :|
A new day, a new failure!

Aeterus

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2004, 12:18:51 pm »
You miss the whole point, noobie land doesn\'t encourage being a noob, quite the opposite, it\'s a trial like \"you won\'t leave this place until you\'ll stop being a noob\", the idea is that without other players to bug, noobies have to learn for themselves (rtfm) how to play.

So basically by not having a noobie land, you are only condemning your life to be infested with noobies, hf.

Arberar

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2004, 11:55:55 am »
well i think its a good idea.
why?
well lets say your a noob and you just get into a world with al kind of uber characters who play the game for a loong time and you as noob don\'t know anything about the people in the world,
now imagine you are a noob again :p and you start in a world with a lot of fellow newbies, you\'ll make friends easier and then advance, together to the mainland

it schouldn\'t be a world were you can power lvl or something i think it should be something were you have to work together like a newbie quest were all noobs have to work together to advance to the mainland
that way roleplaying will be encouraged and the noobs wont be alone in the game,:p they will have some party friends. something like that would be a good thing i think...