Author Topic: New PlaneShift main server!  (Read 11118 times)

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
New PlaneShift main server!
« on: February 29, 2012, 09:16:06 am »
It is time to say goodbye and thank Zeroping for their excellent service in the past year. Has been a pleasure to work with them! Starting this week, our new hosters for the main PlaneShift server are Subhosting.net (providing the hardware) and Caronet (providing the facilities and network). They have a pretty broad range of services, including Engineered Hosting Solutions, Managed Data Center Hosting, and Dedicated Servers. We suggest you to check their homepages and what they can provide in case you have a project you want to host. Subhosting.net and Caronet decided to sponsor PlaneShift by providing a shiny new server, with more CPUs and RAM, which will hopefully provide a better experience to PlaneShift players.

To have your client connect to the new server is very simple! Just launch the updater and it will download the data/servers.xml file with the new address. If something goes wrong and you want to do the update manually, then just open the file /data/servers.xml and replace planeshift.zeroping.it with planeshift.subhosting.net

thob

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Re: New PlaneShift main server!
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 09:30:22 am »
Ho,

could you tell us some details why the server changes so often? ('Because it's better' is not a valid argument.)

Because, I assume they sponsor PS to gain new customers. But they have some work with it. By switching too often maybe PS gets a negative reputation. Like the employee that has 5 employers in 3 years. Not what I want for PS.

o/ thob
Thob Ciscon, Crafter and Merchant for crafted Weapons.
Proud member of The Woiperdinger and the Merchantile Order of Commerce!

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 10:03:58 am »
The last one (zeroping) has been sponsoring us for one year and half, which I agree it's a bit short, but we are very grateful of their service. It's important to note that we have been with the previous hoster about 7 years! And the other servers we use internally are on an average of 3-5 years each. One in particular is now in place since 10 years! Not the same machine, but the same donor.

The other option will be to ask players to contribute some money to play PlaneShift and buy our servers/bandwidth. We want to avoid this as much as possible, and keep a free service. This may cause minor service disruptions, like the change of hoster.

bilbous

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 10:41:22 am »
It appears that manual update will be required as pslaunch does not prompt for an update and running with the --console parameter results in this:
planeshift --console

PlaneShift Updater Version 2.99 for linux64.

Checking for updates:
Couldn't open xml file '/this/updaterinfo.xml'!
Unable to get root node

Ok fixed it and got into the game. this is my servers.xml now:
<serverlist>
<server name="Laanx server (Main)" description="Laanx server is our main server. All players are encouraged to engage in roleplay and stay In Character. If you are not much into roleplay, please be careful before speaking OOC with others.
Read our roleplay guide on PlaneShift main site!
Register at http://planeshift.subhosting.net/register" ip="planeshift.subhosting.net" port="7777" />
</serverlist>

Updater finished, press enter to exit.
Is this still correct for updateservers.xml?

<mirrors>
<mirror id="1" name="updater" url="http://194.116.72.94/update/" repair="t$
</mirrors>

Further information: apparently trying to connect has emptied out the server list in servers.xml leaving only:
<serverlist>
<server name="Laanx server (Main)" description="Laanx server is our main server. All players are encouraged to engage in roleplay and stay In Character. If you are not much into roleplay, please be careful befo$
Read our roleplay guide on PlaneShift main site!
Register at http://62.173.168.9/register" ip="62.173.168.9" port="7777" />
</serverlist>
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 11:04:11 am by bilbous »

Mordaan

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 11:03:56 am »
Also note, the myplane address is now:

http://planeshift.subhosting.net/myplane/
--Overseer, Explorers Guild.

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 11:08:28 am »
Just out of interest why cannot these moves be handled at the name server level; being seamless to the end user?

- Nova

BoevenF

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Amdeneir citizen, mostly travelling
    • View Profile
    • The Doømed Ones SVG
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 11:42:24 am »
Moving a second level domain name around the globe it's not the cheapest move, nor swift, at least where I live.  If noone has to pay even redirecting is not an option, I think. Anyway I'd say, third level domain name is free? probably only at their conditions? well, third level it's a big OK.  ;)

bilbous

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 01:03:23 pm »
I think the idea is that you could set the gamelink in the xml files to gameserver.planeshift.it then use the admin tools for planeshift.it to point that address at whichever server is currently being used. There can be other problems associated with that, though, but setting up sub-domains is usually pretty easy for domains you own. The main problem is that only the site administrator usually has the authority to change records and then it can take a while for new information to propagate to all the nameservers in the world.

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 01:20:58 pm »
aruba asks 6 eur per year for third level domains. we've been evaluating what to do since a while.

Jawir

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 02:52:10 pm »
Whatever is the reason to change server I have only one thing to say: great work!  \\o// \\o// \\o// \\o//

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 02:54:04 pm »
+1  This time there were no disasters.. no little glistening tears, no bitter replies!  xD

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 07:16:21 pm »
So what is the correct address of the update server? http://194.116.72.94/update/ resolves as forbidden.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 07:21:40 pm by Gilrond »

Mordaan

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 10:39:44 pm »
So what is the correct address of the update server? http://194.116.72.94/update/ resolves as forbidden.

That's the correct address.  You just can't browse.
--Overseer, Explorers Guild.

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 11:19:14 pm »
Stating the obvious for some; yet the Players Online Listings can now be found at:

http://planeshift.subhosting.net/index.php?page=char_stats

- Nova

bilbous

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 11:47:33 pm »
ok trying the client in the other os running pslaunch from the desktop icon resulted in a black frozen screen. Had to killall pslaunch to get out. If I waited it might have timed out. after that I tried it from the commandline and it worked fine, found the update, tried unsuccessfully to remove the pan flute oggs and went on and is working.