Author Topic: Any work in SVN yet for moving towards new engine  (Read 2339 times)

Rocfeather

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Any work in SVN yet for moving towards new engine
« on: May 20, 2015, 01:58:29 pm »
Has there been any work yet committed to SVN yet for the transition?  Or how do you imagine that work going?  Going to try to encapsulate/isolate the Crystal Space stuff?  Or will it be more of a ground up approach since I'd imagine the two engines would be fairly different in nature and not just something you can drop in and replace? 

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Any work in SVN yet for moving towards new engine
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 02:20:25 pm »
We have a separate (currently non-public) SVN with all the work which has been done on editing PS code to work with UE4. Talad is working on producing all the base functionalities necessary for PS to work, with help from a few people who are interested in helping getting the code ported to UE4. Last I heard he was working towards setting up stable client<->server communication which is a basic block of PS.

Rocfeather

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 02:47:52 pm »
Ah ok.  There is a fair bit of Crystal Space stuff that is not necessarily engine related as well.  Stuff like the smart pointers and some of the collections stuff would have to be cleaned up as well. 

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 04:00:19 am »
People interested in contributing to port PS over UE con join #planeshift-prospects where you can join the effort and eventually get access to the not-yet-public SVN.

CheatCat

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 06:17:38 am »
I think the Unreal Engine 4 port should be on a public SVN. Why? Because then everyone who wish to contribute to the UE4 port can do that, and everyone who want to play around with it can do that too in order to get interested. There could be some issues with this like things does not work and the project feels "broken" in general. I however would like something to work on and test without having to reinvent the wheel again.

redhound

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 03:34:10 pm »
I think the Unreal Engine 4 port should be on a public SVN. Why? Because then everyone who wish to contribute to the UE4 port can do that, and everyone who want to play around with it can do that too in order to get interested. There could be some issues with this like things does not work and the project feels "broken" in general. I however would like something to work on and test without having to reinvent the wheel again.

Vote for it - be more open, PS!

Jilerel

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 05:26:55 pm »

Vote for it - be more open, PS!

^^^^^
This

qwertymc2

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 06:27:16 am »
A private branch?  ::| Are you kidding?

Ravna

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 08:44:27 am »

Yes, a private branch, very observant.

As for the why, simple, it doesn't work, you can't use it to connect to the Laanx server, and most likely, you won't even be able to compile it. Now no matter how many times you write that in big letters next to the link to a public repository, people are still going to go there and try to compile it, and then come back disappointed or asking half a dozen questions that have no answers yet.  So the choice was made to make it a private repository until it at least is a decent working demo.

Also notice however, that private does not mean you cannot get access to it. It is not public, but if you want to work on the code, you can contact Talad, and he can give you access to it.
Find me on IRC if you need me, don't use pms.

qwertymc2

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 03:07:49 pm »
Also notice however, that private does not mean you cannot get access to it. It is not public, but if you want to work on the code, you can contact Talad, and he can give you access to it.

And what if I simply want to read the git history and check by myself how the porting is going instead of wasting developers's time in the forums?

Ravna

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 04:49:31 pm »
That is unfortunately not possible, one of the downsides of the chosen solution I suppose. Though in all honesty, I don't believe much could be learned from those logs without also knowing the roadmaps/etc. But either way, unfortunately, no. :)
Find me on IRC if you need me, don't use pms.

qwertymc2

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 07:32:11 am »
Though in all honesty, I don't believe much could be learned from those logs without also knowing the roadmaps/etc.

In fact roadmaps/etc should be public too.

MerxRort

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Any work in SVN yet for moving towards new engine
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2016, 01:39:42 pm »
Does anyone now how to make a box blocking property and make it form onto the static mesh, like the SPHAT on DM anchorhead?

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2016, 03:21:23 pm »

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

derula

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • My main: Jamona Shikon
    • View Profile
    • Ugly Horst Tld.
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 04:55:51 pm »
Year 17.
People still believe that PlaneShift is open source.

There is a difference between publishing your source code and making a stand for FOSS software. PlaneShift is, and always has been, proprietary. Access to the source code is only granted for the sole purpose of tricking developers into working for the project for free. Stop expecting this project to have an open source vibe to it. I know that they're saying it's open source, and pretend like this entails all the things you would expect from an open source project. And I don't even want to say they're consciously lying. Maybe they truly believe that. But if they do, they have no idea what FOSS software is all about. They don't fully understand the difference between "free as in beer" and "free as in freedom," and they never will. So stop expecting them to act like PlaneShift was Free (as in freedom) and Open Source, because it's not. It's a proprietary, freeware game, that allows access to its source code. No more, no less.

Edit: Yes, I realize I suffer the RAS syndrome. Sue me.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 05:06:47 pm by derula »