Author Topic: The Hydlaa Market  (Read 4193 times)

Tidebringer

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • A wanderer at heart.
    • View Profile
Re: The Hydlaa Market
« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2017, 11:13:03 pm »
True, but a tub would be harder to find a place for, being larger and such. Most of areas in the Hospital are already occupied or are mostly unsuited for a tub.
Buy some goods, sell some bads, at the Weekly Hydlaa Market!
You might know me as Fesara Fuhay: Herbalist, Scribe, and Aspiring Healer ;)

Tidebringer

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • A wanderer at heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2017, 09:05:18 pm »

The Hydlaa Market...

...takes place at a consistent time and location (for ease of gathering)
Market Time: Every Sunday, 1800 GMT (http://www.thetimezoneconverter.com/)
Market Location: East Hydlaa, Merchant's East Road, Merchant's East Square (where the gates out to Ojaveda are)

...is an excellent opportunity to gather for roleplay!
Merchants, customers, passers-by and the like can all interact to create fun roleplay, regardless of if anything is bought and sold!
You don't have to be selling incredibly rare, perfectly crafted, or specially renamed wares to attend - you don't even have to be a merchant!
Your only limit is your imagination. Take some IG books, write out descriptions for your RPed wares, and hit the market with your creativity!

...is a weekly, player-run event!
GMs can occasionally take time to set up a merchant's stall and offer special wares, but the Market needs players to make it happen
Even a little time at the Market goes a long ways, so stop by to window-shop - maybe you'll find something you want, a person to chat with, or a chance to sell your wares!

Some Final Notes

Now, I know that not everyone always has time to stop by the Market because of RL, and I completely understand that situation. I can't even always make it myself, which is probably why I'm trying to poke other people into going like this. If someone in that situation gets just a little time, they might want to drop by quick and poke their nose around. You can, after all, come and go whenever you like!

However, I would like to address a few other comments I've heard from people regarding not attending the market, so that I can offer possible solutions. Here they are:

• "I don't have a character that going to the Market is IC for. He/she/kra isn't really the market-going type."
One solution I can think of for this is to make another character. Yes, that's right; I'm suggesting you make an alt. While making an(other) alt can certainly be time-consuming and make things a little more complex, it can also prove to be very rewarding, especially if it gives you the excuse you need to run rampant through the market and cause and/or participate in some fun RP for everyone there.

All I suggest is that if the above is you, you make another character, one more tailored to the market; someone who is fine with going to crowded places, someone who has a great need to buy stuff, someone who absolutely needs to chat and gossip with everyone, someone who has some interesting (or "interesting", take your pick) wares to sell, someone who just likes creepily watching people while hiding at the edges of large open areas... truly, the possibilities are endless.

I'd even dare go so far as to say, "You don't have to make a character for the market that has a detailed story." Of course, if that's the sort of thing you want, that's the sort of thing you want, and I'll mention you can always sketch something out and then work on it as you waltz about the marketplace. It doesn't have to be "perfect" right away, or even at all. Believe me. I've tried. ;D

• "I don't have any reason to go to the Market."
Make a reason. Far easier said than done, I know, but it really is a great solution if you can at least come up with a little something.

Maybe your character was bored and wanted to see who there was to chat with or mischievously torment at the Market. Maybe your character had a sudden urge to go on a spending spree. It could be that you(r character) need(s) some ores, herbs, hides, animal parts, fish, or other materials for crafting. Maybe your (character’s) weapon or weapons are in need of repair, or you want some magical items identified. Perhaps your character is a musician or storyteller and wants to try earning some tria.

What if your only reason to go to the Market is to roleplay? Then do that! Brainstorm a little, maybe; these are only a few ideas that I've listed. If you find that your character just never seems to have any IC reason to go to the market, maybe view the point above; it could potentially be a little helpful.

• "There’s never anybody at the Market."
Well, first off, I think I should just say this: stating something as being "never" makes the statement somewhat inaccurate. There are people that go to the Market. Maybe they don’t go when there's a scheduling conflict with a Dev Q&A that day, and maybe people don’t always have time to stick around long enough for there to be a proper Market, but people do go.

There's another little thing I'd like to point out. If everybody is thinking, "Oh, nobody's at the Market, so there is no Market, so there’s no point in staying in this marketplace,", then obviously nobody is going to stick around long enough to allow the Market to actually get started and become something. There will be slow, quiet days. There will be fast, packed days. There will be days that fall somewhere between the two. It varies greatly, and if the Market seems slow one day, don't get discouraged; keep at it.

The key is to persist, to keep dragging your wares, tria, and buddies over to the marketplace and to throw up your hands in the air shouting, "Market time!", until people start prancing over to you, overflowing with excitement to see what you have to offer – be it in the form of goods you're selling, the money you have to pay for their wares, or even just your company.

The last trick to this is, when someone calls out, "Market has started!", or some such comment in gossip, such as advertising their business or the market as a whole, do everybody and yourself a little favor and hop on over to liven things up a bit.

That was terribly long. If you don't read it all, I won't judge; it's your choice. Hopefully though, if you did bother yourself to read it, you found it at least somewhat helpful or encouraging.

Much love. :innocent:

Tidebringer

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • A wanderer at heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 29, 2017, 12:49:55 am »
A Little Rain on the Market...

...doesn't dampen the success!

Now let's see if I actually remember how to do this, now that I've finally remembered to actually take screenshots. That's right, folks, I'm not perfect either!

This time at the market, Jessamine's Culinary Delights returned! Right alongside her, Migg was selling something a bit different, perhaps due to arriving after another herbalist whom we haven't seen before already set up! (Who also happened to be one of the unlucky souls I completely missed when taking screenshots. I swear, I have absolutely nothing against you, unlucky soul!)

Gracing the market yet again and supplying all the market-goers with her fabulous beverages, Larili was here once again! Unlike a certain other merchant, Larili seemed to thrive in the rain. On the other side of the marketplace from Larili, we had a merchant selling a wide array of shields, weapons, and armors! I even heard a thing or two that he might've been hiding away some jewelry to sell to those who asked for it. Just behind him and a little hidden out of sight was someone selling potions for low, low prices, and she too managed to make away with a little more in her pockets than she started with! (Yes, I know, both of them are also those poor souls I forgot to take proper screenshots of. Sorry!)

Last but not least, we had a very special merchant, whom many had been waiting for, stop by this market! I also happen to know that the Hospital of Amdeneir decided to get a sink... or five. (Yes, yes, I also know that I managed to get his name tag in there by accident! I'm sorry! I guess my screenshot-taking skills have gotten rusty from lack of use...) :whistling:

It might be important to you to know that there have in fact been markets going on when they aren't posted about. It might also be important to you to know that this market started a little bit earlier due to the Q&A, which sounded a little like it was more GM than Dev.

Anyway, as always, if anyone out there wants to post some screenshots of their own and/or share a little story from this market, please feel free to do so!

Many thanks to those of you who participated, and I hope to see you at future markets!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 12:55:23 am by Tidebringer »

Migg

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2017, 12:50:45 pm »
While I have to admit that I am not as regular a presence at the market as I used to, I still find the occasions I do manage to attend very rewarding.

The new market layout, already discussed in another thread, is in my eyes a great improvement, and has prompted a new type of RP: Items can be purchased and consumed on the spot, thanks to the tables and benches set up in the new market. I find this quite interesting, since it merges the market with an open tavern, prompting a combination of the RP related with either. People who attend can buy a few things and sit at a table to eat, drink and chat with other visitors.

So, make the new market your meeting place: it is worth a visit!

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 04, 2017, 12:40:43 pm »
The fact that this is still going after over a year of personal inactivity flabbergasts me. You're awesome, Tidebringer, and so is anyone else who's helped you with the effort.

F***ing awesome.

It's still not enough, have a gif.

Slinks back into the abyss.

Tidebringer

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • A wanderer at heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 04, 2017, 01:20:36 pm »
*Tidebringer stops a moment and stares, not having expected Mariana to drop by.

I now must make more of an effort to actually make posts on the weekly market again, when RL allows. ;D

Thank you, and of course I believe everyone who has participated deserves a (big) "you're awesome!"

Special personal thanks from me to Migg and Jessamine, who have gone to the painful lengths of attending, running their own stalls, AND posting on the forums at times that I've been unable to do so, whether or not I specifically asked you. I really appreciate it. :love:

*Tidebringer waves at the back-into-the-abyss-slinking Mariana.

EDIT:

And I can't forget, Emaline and any other GMs or any Devs that helped out with making that new market setup with the crafting, thank you so much! From what I've managed to see so far, it has really helped increase the RP going on there.

Thanks again. :love:
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 01:26:46 pm by Tidebringer »

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 04, 2017, 01:56:26 pm »
I'm glad it's helping.  :thumbup:

Migg

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 09, 2017, 02:52:47 pm »
Special personal thanks from me to Migg and Jessamine, who have gone to the painful lengths of attending, running their own stalls, AND posting on the forums at times that I've been unable to do so, whether or not I specifically asked you. I really appreciate it. :love:
Didn't really do anything... :-[ Thanks for creating this thread, Mariana, and thanks for helping to keep it alive, Tidebringer, it has been an inspiration to me!

Migg

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 07, 2017, 05:09:06 pm »
Does a lone post resurrect a thread?

Does a lone merchant resurrect the market?

Say what you like about the thread, but the market was never dead. Even a lone trader can bring people together for a chat, some shopping, and some good RP!

It was Larilli who has kept the market alive through thick and thin, persevering even when no other merchants would set up their stalls for the market. And she did a good job, offering her usual wares, always of excellent quality, but also inaugurating a new service this week: Offering the products of other crafters for sale through her stall!

So if you craft but are too lazy to set up your own stall, look for Larili, she may be your portal to more customers and better sales! And if you care about RP and want to find similarly minded people to interact with in-game, remember the market is always there, in East Hydlaa, every Sunday at 18:00 GMT!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 05:14:02 pm by Migg »

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 08, 2017, 07:02:25 am »
Look at Larili being the MVP.  :thumbup:

Too bad I'm always asleep market-time.

-sig by sarras

Migg

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 15, 2017, 04:00:09 pm »
The answer could be...

Yes. And yes. Maybe...

Because the market saw more attendance this week, mostly in the form of merchants new and old, that may mark an up-tick in the market's comings and goings.

More merchants set up in the market this week

Larili Soriol was of course there, ready to sell her fine brewed beers, wines, meads and ciders, offer her excelent teas and fruit juices, or trade other crafter's goods. As always, her stall acted as the center of attention for the, unfortunately few, customers who visited the familiar space by the East Gates.

Larili at the center of attention

It was not for lack of variety that so few visited the market. Besides Larili, Migg Ellorean chose to rejoin the market as a merchant, offering his fresh made juices along with some food and bakery creations made by his wife, Jessamine.

Harither Nilerave was also there to offer his sturdy and reliable shields, into the making of which a lot of effort is expended, as could be clearly seen by the crafter's tired countenance and rather swift departure.

But it was this market that was chosen by two new attendees, Dorbaine Tennet, proprietor of the renowned Tennet Trading Company, and his trader, Agna Grudd, to offer a wide selection of glyphs ranging from the common to the rare. The merchants had already been stationed at the Hydlaa Plaza, and moved to Hydlaa East for the duration of the market. They extended their stay in Hydlaa, and it is widely believed they moved a great number of glyphs, both as purveyors and as experts at acquiring and appraising stocks of glyphs.

So, the market is very well alive and running, despite the fluctuations coming along with the new times. As for the thread, who knows? If people continue to post and share, it may still rise from the dead into new prominence and glory.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 04:04:26 pm by Migg »

Tidebringer

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • A wanderer at heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2018, 11:48:43 am »
*Tidebringer uses a defibrillator on this thread.

Ah, to heck with it! I'll go haunt the Hydlaa Market today. ;D

Be there if you can, folksies!

Tidebringer

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • A wanderer at heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 26, 2018, 02:31:57 pm »
The Market had Merchants and Customers...

...and reporters, oh my! ;)

Well first things first, the amazing Larili was there! For those of you who maybe don't know, Larili has a beverage shop that sells many amazing drinks. Even if those drinks don't interest you, well, Larili offers something special: general wares from other merchants!

Amazing, right? You know what else is amazing?

People gathered at the reporter's kiosk to buy a copy of the newspaper! That newspaper just so happened to be the first issue of the Hydlaa Chronicles, a newspaper just starting off. (And yeah, maybe the name sounds familiar to some of you, but that's bound to happen eventually ;D)

All in all, it was an enjoyable market, profits were made (or mildly lost, depending on how you look at it), and most importantly people were there! People who talked!

Once again, as always, if anyone has screenshots or what-have-you from this market that they'd like to add, feel free!

*Tidebringer looks around for a moment before slowly setting the defibrillator down and waiting to see what happens next.

Migg

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 26, 2018, 03:02:05 pm »
Larili has been the cornerstone of the market for so long, I just can't say enough to praise her! Migg is too lazy to setup of late, but he still tries to go to the market whenever he can. He is one of the residents for whom the Hydlaa Chronicles is the town's fresh newspaper, the name doesn't ring any bells. He is still reading the first issue, and thinks the long efforts of Layenel Mawaen, the publication's reporter, writer, editor and publisher, came to fruition in a splendid way and at a very opportune moment to fill a gap in the town's, nay, the Dome's need for news reporting! Just hoping to see more reporters and writers come forward to contribute to this commendable effort.

And indeed the market had some vibrant presence this week, I really enjoyed it, and hope the trend will endure!  \\o//

Nightflyer0ne

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 15, 2018, 08:48:37 pm »

A tiny but tuneful market today. Larili was there, as usual, with her beverages and general store. Migg was selling flower arrangements, and Dharah had her cap out for passersby to add spare change to as she played her lute.

Later, Zakena came by to play some skillful duets with Migg. Gag Hammond (and familiars), Kalterina, and Famiel rounded out the participants.

Giving my multiple personalities some playground space, one alt at a time. ;)