Author Topic: RCD  (Read 1724 times)

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: RCD
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2015, 04:24:48 pm »
With regard to the OP, there is still the Stonehead tavern and the one in scaly-wingy reptitile town. Both are wide open for players to use at will. At least, I don't think Illyisa et al are haunting the stonehead anymore. I could be wrong.

A while back, Illysia attempted to create a sort of "peaceful" (or at least moreso) environment located in Amdeneir during a particularly violent role play. I would say that currently, with the help of the GMs, this is really coming to fruition now. With the Learning Hall and the Hospital situated there, there are many plans to generate role plays which are not necessarily combat oriented. There will be antagonists, but they won't be person against person (typically,) rather conflicts of ideals and so forth. Of course I'm not saying no violence will ever occur in that city, but as it's been arranged (ICly speaking as well,) it should tend to be very minimal.

I've not always been the best at sharing the proverbial sandbox. I've learned a lot over the years about compromising on certain topics and compromise really fuels the growth of a community. It's part of why I've been trying to develop a more diverse environment of role plays to attract people with different interests. I think people tend to try to drift to opposite ends of the spectrum and then turn a nose up at others: if you prefer antagonistic role play you get reduced to a troll, if you want something of a plot you're a snob, and if you'd just like to engage in more day to day activities (or maybe social drama-related things) you're not really trying. None of these are true. Each type of RP is perfectly valid, but all of our preferences are coming to life on one server. Just because something might not be my cup of tea doesn't mean it's bad, same goes for my interests as opposed to someone else's.

My answer to this is to be courteous. If a role play is to be extremely violent (as in not your typical rogue attack like the GMs and players have done on occasion), have it happen in a group or out in the wilds where it isn't likely to be stumbled upon. This is also just logical, honestly. With the number of guards in the city, it wouldn't make sense to be dragging tons of corpses through the streets. (I say that as non-accusatory; I've done that before, though not to an extreme as some, and while a lot of folks enjoyed the story, some did not.) If a role play is to be explicit as Ascomanni pointed out, it should NOT be done in main chat. Move to tells or to a group for that as well.

For the most part, people (at least recently) have been very good about these things. Thing is, that's not always the case. I've seen instances where characters make comments that are extremely inappropriate about children (I will not go into details as this is a public forum, but if you want specifics shoot me a pm.) I've seen someone role play that a witch enlarged his *you can guess* for the purposes of intercourse (and that he no longer had any control over his "urges.") Both of these were done smack in Kada El's, for all to see and for potentially younger players to hear. Now, me, personally, I don't think there's room for that sort of thing at all, but at the least I really do think it should be done out of main chat. It's incredibly disturbing and upsetting to some folks. I've role played my characters through things like depression (mostly therapeutic really) and been asked to not do so in a public setting, and rightly so, so I really don't think it's too much to ask to keep that sort of explicit material away from the public eye.

In regards to this specific instance, I think that compromise too, can be reached. If I'm correct, I'm thinking Damola doesn't want particularly violent RPs happening at the Den. That's valid. Instead, the Den should be somewhere where all types of characters would tend to be on good (or at least weapons-sheathed) behavior. People engaging in a bar fight would get thrown out onto the street, maybe denied admittance for a while. This winds up letting you role play hiring bouncers: they're not all rough and tumble people with scars. There are plenty of folks who role play perfectly lawful characters or characters who will do precisely what they are paid to do: keep out the rough-housers.

Echoing Ascomanni's statement, I don't think the place should be OOCly controlled to only allow "lawful good" characters access. If someone a little shadier can ICly work their way in with wit and charm, I really don't see an issue. Issue a warning that if they abuse that capacity by stealing items, they will lose privileges and potentially face other consequences. The thing is, a "good" bad guy, played well, wouldn't be one to sit there and stir up trouble, drawing attention to themselves. Instead, they'd blend in, probably be quite inviting, and when they saw a character they thought might be interested in "criminal" RP, they would likely speak to them directly.

Thereby any potentially violent (or criminal) RP related would happen outside the Red Crystal Den.

The location of the place is a hub. It's somewhere that new players could potentially find the people creating the types of stories they're interested in. I have no doubt we could find a way to make it work so that everyone gets what they want out of it.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 04:43:45 pm by Mariana Xiechai »

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2015, 05:10:59 pm »
There was a point in time where control of the rcd was wrested away by a criminal organization and ran as a front.

To be encouraging, tending bar at the rcd under Dannaes management was always a positive and fun experience. Never really a dull moment, and a wide variety of rp. Every time you open those doors and shout in main, you never know who was going to show up and what fun they would bring. People just want an alternative from kadas. Whenever ara would have none else to do, I would open the den and let the rp come to me. Plus it felt good to open up that space for spontaneous rp.

As I understand it, the purpose planned for the den under its original conception was as a performing arts center, or otherwise an event venue, not necessarily a bar or tavern. It's always been player run, which is great. I'm sorry to hear it's use has fallen to the wayside, but I can sorta understand how that could have happened. Sadly, most of what makes PS great vanishes when player activity drops beneath a certain threshold. If certain players are willing and able to manage the RCD, I feel things should be worked out to let them, but as a purist, I feel it would be most bestest if this and the other thread had a parallel rp component. It would just be more fun that way, I think. ;)
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2015, 05:18:21 pm »
Never really a dull moment, and a wide variety of rp. Every time you open those doors and shout in main, you never know who was going to show up and what fun they would bring.

I remember some of the mostest awesomest role plays happening at the RCD, myself. Tis part of why I miss Dannae.  :'(

And you. Come back. Come baaaaaaaaaaaack...

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2015, 05:32:08 pm »
There was a point in time where control of the rcd was wrested away by a criminal organization and ran as a front.

The RCD was originally founded by a few seemingly upstanding members of society who just happened to be very much involved with the Outlaws. The procurement of the RCD was a scam (IC) and the intention of getting it in the first place, was to set up a front at the Octarchy's expense, where shady characters could hang out and make deals under the table, so to speak.  The two fine ladies who ran this shin dig eventually broke away from the Outlaws, and ran it themselves. It was some time later that the good guys ( er eh.. gals ) got their grubby mitts on it.

What is important here is that it was always understood that stewardship of the RCD was always dependent on our character's ability to look like good, upstanding members of society. For that reason, conversation within the den had to be kept civil at any cost. Bouncing was something that happened in the alleyway around back and those bounced were likely to be missing some pocket change when they woke up.  ;)

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2015, 07:41:16 pm »
I might add that Kada els was likewise a player established and player run tavern, until it was canonized and populated with npc vending machines. This terrible fate should be avoided at all costs.

Also, if brewing is a thing now, a player run enterprise to sell brews to would be nice. Or have an inhouse bremeister. Thing is, places like the rcd are more than just meeting grounds for players, but also places of employment and exchange. Character/character interaction is what needs to be fostered. You provide a space for such interactions, you gain a little precious ground in the war against the machines.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 07:53:58 pm by Aramara Meibi »

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2015, 04:49:24 pm »
For those that abhore and disdain violence, may I point out that the settings of this game explicitly dictate that the world of Yliakum is forever held in the grips of terror from all sorts of nasty beasties worming their way from out of the depths of the labyrinths. Not to mention there's a [spoiler!] completely alien eldritch abomination hell bent on destroying all of existence who's got its tentacles in the minds of much of the population. In fact, the law of the land states that the entirety of the population must be armed and properly prepared for combat. Point is, Yliakum is not a peaceful pastoral paradise, but a terribly violent place, so much so, in fact, that the very goddess of death herself took pity on all these dying people that she granted them the gift of resurrection (on her terms, of course). Now, I'm all one for a balanced experience, and the constant danger present in Hydlaa is the IC reason that Ara left with her children, but if you don't want to play a Game with potential violence then maybe this game isn't for you?

Damola

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2015, 05:26:14 pm »
We have currently one opening with quite some quests. Sulaika is back! And I received some offers for help. So you can still drop by if you see this soon enough. Quite nice RP going on. Even a little contest!

No talk with the GM yet.
Love,
Damola

Damola

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2015, 06:15:11 pm »
We have currently one opening with quite some quests. Sulaika is back! And I received some offers for help. So you can still drop by if you see this soon enough. Quite nice RP going on. Even a little contest!

Now this was an opening of my liking. Thanks to all the involved for the nice RP! Thanks to Sulaika! /me then falls asleep immediately. May post a photo tomorrow, when I remember.
Love,
Damola

Damola

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2015, 03:11:43 pm »
Although Damola still ponders whether it was such a wise idea to joke about one barrel of mead, here a photo from the opening yesterday. Was quite some fun.

Love,
Damola

Pierrette

« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2015, 03:02:31 pm »
Aramara, no one said anything about abhoring and disdaining violence - it was mentioned that the explicit stuff, beyond our rating level - should be taken out of main and into group.

That's what groups are used for apparently, for those of us too innocent to imagine (I'm remembering now that this is the thread that irritated me, ah la la!).

On topic:  Is there a follow up to this?  Can we manage to get the RCD unlocked and available for use like that DARLING HOSPITAL?  Without hurting hardworking good rp'ing people's feelings?

I would love that if so.

Damola

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2015, 03:57:15 pm »
I am still to talk with GM. GM was sick and now I am still on a free software sprint event. So will take till next week.

Love,
Damola
Love,
Damola

Pierrette

« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2015, 06:23:13 pm »
Ok  :)  Thank you for the update  :)

Not sure if this is the place for it, but I wanted to say that I am glad that we have both types of places in Yliakum - the "NPC vending machine" laden places and the PC only places.  I love little Allelia and the rest.  She in particular made it easier for me when I started out, and still now actually, to do a kind of RP that allows me to be part of the world without needing my buddies online.

If other PCs are in the pub, it's nice to walk in, slide your tria across the bar with a smile at Allelia, sip the drink, conduct business with her (i.e. sell creature parts), and listen to other people and their RP.  I love that.  It's like a mini-RP, or a baby-RP.  Not satisfying like the real deal, but nice and makes me feel like a part of Yliakum.

Places without NPCs also great, especially for full immersion.  Probably I'm too lone-wolfy to fully appreciate those places, but even at my level they feel great, that hospital (I've only been twice) is wonderful.  The whole town is wonderful over there.

Can we get the bed canopies raised in the Amdeneir tavern?  Or chopped off?  I'll make a new thread for that.

Thanks again, Damola  :flowers:

Damola

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2015, 04:22:54 pm »
Sulaika and I talked with the GM this week. We and Sian, who offered help, are currently looking at how we will proceed with the results of this talk and our ideas for more player involvement for the RCD. Please have some more patience for us to come up with something more concrete.

Love,
Damola
Love,
Damola

cdmoreland

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Main: Waesed Waesech
    • View Profile
    • Ad Libertatem
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2015, 08:06:24 pm »
I have, somehow, been left out of this discussion.

Damola

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2015, 04:42:07 pm »
I have, somehow, been left out of this discussion.

You haven´t. I just started out with those who actively offered to help to evolve the RCD in game. Sulaika and another player who offered to help with the RCD just recently. I wasn´t aware that you want to be active and help with the RCD as well, as you weren´t in the last time.

As I received your PM, I asked you whether you want to be active for the RCD again and I already informed you about our current ideas and asked for your feedback.
Love,
Damola