Author Topic: Bad guys, good RP(!/?) [OOC]  (Read 1269 times)

cdmoreland

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Main: Waesed Waesech
    • View Profile
    • Ad Libertatem
Re: Bad guys, good RP(!/?) [OOC]
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2016, 10:58:07 pm »
By separating, I should have had written. Imagine a little checkbox "RPer". When you check it, your nickname is in another color. When you uncheck it, another.
And bang, new way to see who to ignore or not in RP scene.

I played my first  year on EZPC, the non-roleplay server, and even after coming over to Laanx and creating Waesed, it took awhile to get into RP. Keep trying, as Herihi did with me, and you might get somewhere.

sliss

• Traveller
    • View Profile
    • Sliss
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2016, 08:09:23 pm »
Nice and interesting topic that is close to my hart! 

... and also one that I have been struggling with my whole PS live! ... I have been thinking about how I should play my role in PS for years now. It is hard to play a bad guy is a butterfly-we-all-hug-eachother world.

As chief of the Prophets of Chaos I have been 'involved' with hundreds of robberies over the years... Also been part of the great guild wars, have been camping on PvP spots many times (sometimes out of frustration that RP-ing a bad char if simply harder ;-) ).
One of the reasons we lost a lot of players was to split bad RP- 'bad chars' from good RP 'Good chars' hence the appearance and death of the ez.. server and basically the death of "Bad chars" from PS ...

...from this period onwards i am living with a split personality....

Bad RP-ers aren't bad purse and can learn too. First of all for me personally when I started, I did not type quickly, I had a crappy old computer and by the time I had a reply ready I had to read through again 3 beautifully constructed sentences which made my badly constructed sentence obsolete. So I figured a robber would fit me as it was less typing...  :devil:

I love PvP and I think when you do a robbery if sucks to do it RP-wise only what's the point of having skills beats me otherwise... so I stopped doing it. RP-ing you are a very strong and quick while your PS skills are not if bad RP in my opinion.  Would you expect from a robber to behave and talk politely and wait with patience till its opponent starts talking two sentences a second? This simply does not make sense. If I hold my sharp axes aggressively to someone's throat in a quick and swift way this player, if it has normal senses, would not talk so much and be scared to death and drop anything it has. This is unfortunately not happening most of the time.

"Good guys" do not easily accept defeat and try to RP there way out that's simply playing badly a "Good char"!  How can you choose to ignore RP on an RP server? That's just nonsense. If you are about to be robbed there is nothing you can do about it as mostly these are surprise attacks out of the blue. You cannot just run though a blockade either ... "Good chars" should play along or (and here is my motto:)

"Good Chars" do bad RP too like Volki said...

One thing I would love to see in PS is everyone's skills so you cannot RP around it. If you meet IRL a robber you'd be pissing in a corner without any word and do what he instructs you to do. PS is more than just RP you are bound to your skills

... perhaps it is time I put my potions in the closet for a while and concentrate more on the bad part of my personality I almost forgot  ;-)

Sliss 

(btw.... the other personality has become my alter ego Striker although he is strictly not good either, naturally, he pretends to be good for you...)

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2016, 10:32:53 pm »
Robberies and fights can be great RP-wise, if all parties are on the same page. Camping and waiting for noobs to run by so you can kill them, on the other hand, can be viewed as if it isn't even roleplay - especially if nobody even emotes. Personally, I prefer to spend my time in PS roleplaying instead of grinding out stats, but there's definitely room to incorporate PvP for those who like it.
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

OctavianGrey

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2016, 04:09:22 am »
I find this to be a very interesting topic, especially as my character is rather grey in some areas.

This is a complex issue, with several sides, and which may never have a satisfactory answer for all - it is physically impossible to get that kind of outcome.

Some of the ideas here, such as making the sewers and outside the cities bad guy friendly could be a very good idea, if implemented properly. Making it harder for new players to get about, explore and experience Yliakum would be a very bad idea. If this idea is to be used, we have to consider how it would effect new players, the ones who rejuvenate the game. I know that if I had had to interact with other players too quickly, or too violently, before I even had a chance to get the know the game, I would have probably quit, too put off by something I didn't quite get yet. Just letting someone know before hand, or even just picking your victims well should help in that regard.

On the other hand I can sympathise with not wanting to have to ask and break the story to play out your character.

Something that could happen would be to have areas were villainy is common and for players to WARNED ABOUT IT before hand, somehow, say signs or in the tutorial etc - digression of devs team. And also to incorporate a previous idea, something in the colour of a name that lets people know if you have been a member for very long or not - so that you can tell when you are about to jump somebody who has know idea of what they are doing. The idea of a check system that lets others know if you want to rp is quite unwieldy, i think, as when I had my first interaction with another player, I didn't know if I wanted to or not and it is only through the interaction itself that I discovered I wanted to. Having that check in place could stop players from interacting with someone who is new, and was unsure, so they just ticked a box. Then, because they don't know if they like the whole game AND the other players - we could be losing people for something arbitrary. There is also the hassle of changing the check box which could be very frustrating. Say you forget and go somewhere expecting an rp and you get ignored for it - problems abound.

What ever may happen, we can't expect to make everyone happy - but we have to try.
*Calantha Ivoman, studier of plants, wannabe artist and musician - trying desperately to not die very often. "No, I will not hit you with my pickaxe, why do people ask me this!?!"