Author Topic: Official Community Texture Contest 1  (Read 18952 times)

Wired_Crawler

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Official Community Texture Contest 1
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2006, 05:33:24 pm »
Hi,

To Jekkar:  If you still can't use it, try viewing the texture in PS by replacing the original rat skin.

The texture format is in dds but used to be in png. How am I supposed to replace the file if its not in the same format?

Just rename Your file (to finalrattexture.dds) and replace the original. CrystalSpace will recognize image format properly regardless of file extension.
"Close the world, txEn eht nepO."

Baldur

• Veteran
  • Disillusioning since 1989
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2006, 12:26:33 am »
One day left? I haven't even been able to start yet :s

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2006, 12:29:19 am »
And the other disappointing bit is that we have had 0 entries turned in so far. Is it unrealistic to hope that we will be flooded with them at the last minute?

Depending on how things go... this will either be extended for another week, or we'll throw up our hands and never listen to any complaints about a "lack of unofficial contributions" ever again ;P
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Baldur

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2006, 12:35:02 am »
And the other disappointing bit is that we have had 0 entries turned in so far. Is it unrealistic to hope that we will be flooded with them at the last minute?

Depending on how things go... this will either be extended for another week, or we'll throw up our hands and never listen to any complaints about a "lack of unofficial contributions" ever again ;P
All whiners can't be right, can they? ;]

neko kyouran

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2006, 03:14:54 am »
A few comments,

You treat this as though it were for a prospect.  Now, that may well be all and good and stuff, but posting it here on the forum, and giving it to a prospect are a bit different.  For one, the amount of time.   A prospect knows that they will have a week to complete the tasks given to them ahead of time, so they can adjust thier schedule to make time to do it, or ask for an extention.  Here, no one was given that ahead notice, it was just dropped on people.  Probably some people knew how busy thier week was going to be, knew they couldn't get it done, so didn't even bother to start it all.  Perhaps if this was run more like how the fan art contests were run, giving the community a month's time, then people could prepare and get something done.  Surely, if a person planned to participate they could find the time to work on something in a month's time much easier than a week.

Another point I'd like to make, is that maybe 2d textures isn't what some people are interested in.  Maybe they are looking into something say more along the lines of 3d models, so they didn't participate.  Just becuase the first attempt was lackluster at best should call for the immeadiate discontinuation of the official contests.  That'd be like saying I'm never going to go to or surrport GM events becuase one event didn't go so well do to problems.  If the turnout isn't as great as you may have hoped it to be, that's a shame, but it shouldn't mean just giving up completey.  Perhaps try something differnt next time.  Mix it up a bit, give options, rather than one set subject to do.  Those community contests held not too long ago, produced some nice results, I'd hate to see that be all for naught.

Also, not really sure aobut this, but has this been advertised anywhere but here?  In IRC, maybe a MOTD on the game, or on the planeshift.it or someplace else, to reach a broader audiance than just the forums themselves.

Okay, I'll be a good menki and be quiet now, let the artists do their artisticy things without all my blabbering.

Induane

• Veteran
  • What should I put here?
    • View Profile
    • Vaalnor Inc.
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2006, 06:13:49 am »
I tend to agree with neko.  I've been working on a tex as well but have been busy with the community modeling project as well.  Plus its possible many people didn't see this until there was far less time left.  Given a bit more time even I'd have had an entry, though I'll admit I am not fantastic with 2d design :D  Still though I'd like to have participated instead of habing a half finished texture on my pc  :oops:

Of course I really should have mentiioned this before, but it never really occured do me.   Hindsight is always 20/20 though. 

And a bit of advertising could be useful.  I'll see if I can poke some guildmates into participating as well. 

I'd really hate to have you all base that off of one contest taht wasn't as successful as you'd like.  I love the idea of a competition like this and I still stand by my belief that this community holds the skills and abilities necessary .  I'll contine to work on my entry even beyond the deadline if it comes to that.

Baldur

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2006, 07:16:25 am »

Grab the feedback and stick to it, don't give up that easily ;] It will pay off in the end, count on that :]

Lepall

• Traveller
  • ....semi-pro lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2006, 08:09:43 am »
 :oops:
my bad, i gotta learn to read. :-[
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 10:16:22 am by Lepall »

peeg

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2006, 10:04:11 am »
I like the albino rat ... but you  should really read the guidlines, linked in the first post in this thread  ;)
[ PSde ] - Join the german community!
Peeg Chaoswind - Mentor in The Rangers Of Yliakum

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2006, 10:14:02 am »
Okay, why did I only notice this thread today  :-X
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

Induane

• Veteran
  • What should I put here?
    • View Profile
    • Vaalnor Inc.
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2006, 11:03:25 am »
Okay, why did I only notice this thread today?

Thats exactly what I'd feared :(

Akaye

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Thread head that loves Strawberries <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2006, 11:31:34 am »

That is a shame that no one has submitted. I myself after reading this thread wondered where all of these people have gone who wanted to have a helping hand in the community and who whinned that the dev's and gm's never listen. With only giving a week, well I could understand that that wouldn't be enough time, but you would think if anyone was going to enter they would say something and request more time. Then Karyuu would just extend the time, as she has done now in hopes people will contribute. Really the time is not an issue, but people contributing is.

I hope people enter this contest and try at it because it would be nice to see the community spirit we had on these forums six months ago or so with people submitting their 3D and 2D art and showing their best. I came to love the art thread and thought this community had alot of talented players. Have we lost that? I surely hope not .......

I thought this contest was a great idea and I thank the dev's for giving the players a chance to have their work in game.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 11:34:23 am by Akaye »
Zorbels: PS character
Links for Newbies:
Players Guide RP Guide PS Settings

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2006, 11:32:24 am »
The reason a rat texture is the subject of this contest is because we actually need it. It's not an arbitrary pick of something random. Either the community does it, or the dev team does - but it needs to be done anyway :) So this is not only contributing, it's very much helping, instead of us asking for some 3D model we have no need of at the moment.

Talad was very pessimistic about contests like these, and I've wanted to show him that the community artists are better than that. So if we're extending the contest deadline, let's make sure it ends with a very awesome and rewarding bang.

How does two more weeks sound?

Baldur

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2006, 11:35:34 am »
I'm on it!

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2006, 11:51:06 am »
The new contest deadline is 11:59 PM GMT, Tuesday, September 19th, 2006.

Spread the word! If anyone can poke jose or Uyaem to mention this in #planeshift's topic as well, I'd appreciate it.