Author Topic: Official Community Texture Contest 1  (Read 18954 times)

Induane

• Veteran
  • What should I put here?
    • View Profile
    • Vaalnor Inc.
Re: Official Community Texture Contest 1
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2006, 04:11:13 pm »
Excellent I'll double my efforts to create something useable! :D

Proglin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2006, 05:11:11 pm »
LADIES AND GENTLEMAN!!!!!!!!!!!

This is THE best chance to get YOUR art straight into PS as soon as possible, without ny chit-chat mumbo-jumbo blablabla... straight in there SWOOSH!!!! and your work is in! Come on people! it's a chance you can't miss out on! Contribute like crazy, and get YOUR art in Ps for all to see!!! Get out of Kada-el's, into the little fantasy word inside your head, and create something that'll BLOW-US-OVER!!!! WOOT!!!!

Hmm.. why are you all still reading?!? Get to it guys! Make us something SWEET!  \\o//
yours, the entertainer

Erik

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2006, 08:06:40 pm »
 03:00 (in the morning)+ alcohol + a bad day@work + deadline + more alcohol = photoshop tennis with Arcane = this texture

Arcane wanted to make some kind of lava rat.
(Too bad we can't add a specular map though, that would have really made it glow)

[ Images removed. ]
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 12:40:08 am by Karyuu »
Environmental artist http://www.tcos.com

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2006, 10:59:56 pm »
Erik, those were brilliant :] But you have to use the upload form to make them official entries - it won't take more than a minute.

So whenever you have a free moment... gogogo! :>
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Peacer

• Veteran
  • I've got balls of steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2006, 02:03:16 am »
good luck to all thoose participating... :D
The Guardians of Power

left the game, looking in now and then to check progress, if you want to contact me use the email attached to the msn contact on this forum account

ramlambmoo

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2006, 02:33:02 am »
Depending on how things go... this will either be extended for another week, or we'll throw up our hands and never listen to any complaints about a "lack of unofficial contributions" ever again ;P

Liten to any complaints about lack of unofficial contributions in the area of textures, you mean.  Granted, you'd like to see that this concept can work, but maybe textures wasnt the best place to start and draw a general conclusion from.

I mean, if someone is skilled enough to be a contributor to the PS project (which is implied they would have to be for their work to be the winner of such a competition to be included), and interested in being part of the team, why wouldnt they be already?  Either, theres too much red tape involved (possible?  I've never gone through the process of trying), or they dont have the time to contribute on a regular basis with deadlines and such.  Im guessing the second reason is more probable.  Therefore a competition like this with 1 week to make something would be better suited for looking for contributions from those wanting to be members, not from those who have the skills in the community to contribute but arent members.  I think some sort of area where contributions from the different sections could be accepted and then in time (depending on the avaliable time of whoever makes the desicions for content in that department) reviewed for possible inclusion would be more suitable.  Typically, a skilled community member will have periods where they are able to put alot of time into creating something awesome, and periods where they're too busy with real life.. thus an arbitary one week period might not fit in with their schedule, and so they cant contribute.

None the less I hope someone puts their hand up and creates and awesome texture for the game the use.  It would be an excellent start.

Baldur

• Veteran
  • Disillusioning since 1989
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2006, 03:41:50 am »
The reason a rat texture is the subject of this contest is because we actually need it. It's not an arbitrary pick of something random. Either the community does it, or the dev team does - but it needs to be done anyway :) So this is not only contributing, it's very much helping, instead of us asking for some 3D model we have no need of at the moment.

Talad was very pessimistic about contests like these, and I've wanted to show him that the community artists are better than that. So if we're extending the contest deadline, let's make sure it ends with a very awesome and rewarding bang.

How does two more weeks sound?
ramlambmoo, read the entire thread next time. Karyuu's already learnt from her mistake. She's given us another 2 weeks.
Now get to work!

Induane

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Vaalnor Inc.
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2006, 10:21:24 am »
Can I do a joint teamwork effort with someone?  And its ok to have several submissions right?

minetus

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2006, 11:17:12 am »
induane, ill be glad to team up with you :) i sorta already started but its still very crude, anyway i added your email adress on msn, let me know if your interested

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2006, 12:37:43 pm »
Teamwork efforts are great, and I would urge folks not to have more than two entries.

Induane

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Vaalnor Inc.
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2006, 01:25:16 pm »
minetus the best way to catch me is in irc  on irc.freenode.net channel #planeshift-build  or plexus.shacknet.nu channel #urps

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2006, 08:42:30 pm »
Hmmm. I have been watching this and wondering what would come of it. I have little in the way of arting skills, or I would have had a texture or two on the table already. But, something has occurred to me. Even though this contest is open to the community, it is still closed to the public. The artists are out there as lone individuals due to the rule of "No posting in public". This robs blooming artists of much needed feedback and critiquing such as this:

"That looks great, but if you were to smooth this area..."

"Your fur looks too flat. I found a tutorial that may help."

"That texture is too dark to use ingame."

Or simply "Good start, now add more details."

When submitting a project to Talad, is it done blindly, or do you nudge him once in a while with the WIP to see what would be better? Now, I know that would not work with this project, as he is a busy man, so I suggest that the community itself takes that role. Let the artists post thier works-in-progress in public and let the community do what they do best...tell them what they are doing wrong. ;)

Let this truly become a community project. As to the "Oooo and Ahhh" factor, lets face it, most players rarely come to this part of the forum and will never see it. Also, many more players that do will flood the sewers -just- to see something they had all created together, as they will see it. Then, they will kill it.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2006, 08:53:08 pm »
When people post in public, it can be both inspiring and discouraging. Seeing something amazing from someone can and often does stop those who think they will never match it, and who then give up. I'm always available here to give pointers through PMs, and asking for general help such as "Any good tips on creating fur?" or similar is more than welcome in this thread.

Farren Kutter

• Veteran
  • Death is only the beginning. Then true life begins
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2006, 08:55:55 pm »
When I look at you and Gentar's artwork it doesn't discourage me. And for most americans out there, should encourage, unless they are the lazy useless people, because the american spirit is competitive to the last, in my opinion.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2006, 08:59:04 pm »
No posting contest entries or WIPs. This part of the rules is final. We are interested in what the (individual) artists can produce, not the entire community. If it was a "whole-community-participation-contest" where everyone could work on one entry on something, this would be different. People are free to ask each other for help, privately.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 09:01:07 pm by Karyuu »