Author Topic: new stats/skills window  (Read 1773 times)

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
new stats/skills window
« on: April 11, 2008, 06:33:02 am »
Hi,

I have taken some time to work on the stats/skills window, here is how far i have gotten so far, I have fixed the gray font color to white for the stats/skills names. Please let me know what you think. I plan if i get good feedback to submit this to a dev to get it commit ed. It did require some code changes so would be a bit hard to distribute to you guys to use on laanx now. I figured that we have the info window that shows us our hp and such why have it again the stats/skill window so it got removed to save space, as well as removing the podium doll. I am open to possibly adding the total hp, mana, stamina values back if you think it should be there.

sample with stats values back

edit added stats pic
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 07:08:36 am by Caarrie »

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: new stats/skills window
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 08:09:32 am »
Do you remember what i did some time ago?
reference: http://crimsonorder.freepgs.com/things/ps-mc/skillwindow.xml
http://crimsonorder.freepgs.com/things/ps-mc/skills-example-beta.jpg
http://crimsonorder.freepgs.com/things/ps-mc/skills-example.jpg
Images to big to paste them into your thread i gues. Hm, will sow just one for reference

(btw, it suprises me noone cared enough to implement it, but if you can make implement your, go for it. Even if you won't make good background for them - maybe you are waiting for someoe to do it)

The trend is people dont want the doll, so it goes out.
If it goes out, you can make the window as thin as mine holding the skills, but without the doll It is like 100 units of width less.
The physical/mental state bars and their values should stay. They display the exact numbers, not only percentage, unless we don't want people to see these values, but only the percentage - in this case the bars don't have to be in the skills/stats window.

If they are in the window, then put them above or below the PPs and trias. The square buttons would be located at the right of that in 1 collumn and 4 rows.
^ that bunch should fit inside nice ractangle (which can be dividend into 2-3 sections with the BG image) so the skills/stats/factions can go below and then the descriptions.

Change the highlight color to a bright one instead of dark one, like i did, because that part should be located on dark BG image.

The collumn left from the skills/stats bars should be right aligned so the two form a nice compact entity.

See that this collumn for stats needs to hold at least 8 characters - two brackets and two 3-digit numbers, while skills needs to hold max 3 characters - 3-digit number. Stats names are short, while some skills are longer. Use that to save on space. Compare the two screenshots of mine to know how to.

Using the Scurlock font for the two headers would be nice. It can cast black shadow to enchant its look.

The "Stats and Skills" title at the top shouldn't be higher than the close button. No matter what resolution. I did it by using resisetoscreen="no" inside main widget, <font /> element and then i had to reverse it for all the other widgets, by holding them inside some kind of additional parent widget.

The font for all numbers should be someting like arial, tahoma or verdana.

You can also make your window resizable, like how the shortcutedit window is done. When you resize it vertically, on the commands box will get higher or lower. In stats/skills window it would be the widget with stats skills and factions.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 08:13:29 am by Nikodemus »

What you can failure tommorow, failure today.

Better click for shiny stylez Help me with images!

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 08:25:44 am »
I am not an artist so i did not make a proper background, someone else can do that. "arial, tahoma or verdana" these are not free fonts that is why ps does not use them. I was trying to minimize the window, we have the stats window to show the bars i dont see how that is needed in the window as well. Yes i could make it narrower but i dont think that is really needed. Also it is not so easy to make the window resizeable, and i have tried on others. Maybe someday that can be done if it becomes easier. For readding the stats values back it was just a test to see that they worked, i can move them but if i go and put them in nice order they will be too long to fit, so that has to be worked on.

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 08:34:46 am »
I think what you should really go for is compactness, especially since that's the new GUI credo.

-No doll or you could only display the character's head.
-Display 10 or 15 skills max and add a scrollbar if there are more.
-Place back the total HP/stamina/mana/etc values, the bars and percentages don't have to be there as they are in the infowindow.
-Make the window compact, not huge.
-Get art to make new backgrounds, before asking for committing.

Currently I like Nikodemus' window better.
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 08:52:58 am »
I am not an artist so i did not make a proper background, someone else can do that. "arial, tahoma or verdana" these are not free fonts that is why ps does not use them.
bzzz, meant LiberationMono-Regular.ttf or something the same font you use for the description or the stats/skills/factions. You could figure that much ;p
I was trying to minimize the window, we have the stats window to show the bars i dont see how that is needed in the window as well.
Please read again what i wrote about it, there is more about it than just the bars. Unless you are explaining that at the end of your post, i don't know if it is about this problem or some other.

Yes i could make it narrower but i dont think that is really needed.
To save on space. I thought it was why you threw away the doll and bars :x There is lots of wasted space when it is so wide.

Thx ThomPhoenix and of course if ayone ask me, i can do the background, but i need clear confirmation from a dev who will be implementing it.
Then i will work on the BG images for all 3 skins, otherwise i don't want to waste my time like i did before.
I will be signing the license for artists when/if devs give green light for Amdeneir.

Caarrie, it is really great job you are doing, if you don't know it by yourself ;)

Mythryndel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 09:27:41 am »
I like the "doll" being removed, but I need the stats bars. The little window doesn't show a number, just a %.

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 09:54:50 am »
I have forgotten to add, the window shouldn't have a border. The border can be drawn on the BG image and the title bar image and it comes out much much better.

And more about the bars.
I'm of the same opinnion as Mythryndel and there are two informations needed the:
The name (hit points, stamina, mana, etc) and the value. IMO, none of the names should be shortened to something like HP ST or M.
So you come up with something like:
Hip points
324/454
Mana
32/142
Physical stamina         
632/742
Mental stamina
332/542
So, with such layout there is completly no reason why not put the bars below it. Not only will they show the graphical interpretation for often faster recognition, but each position will be recognized by its unique color.

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 10:45:46 am »
i will consider the comments given and post an updated image when i have more time to work on it.

sample with stats values back

adding the last image i put in the first post here [it has the stats value just no bar]

updated partial redo
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 12:23:42 pm by Caarrie »

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 07:53:56 am »
That's a lot better already. Could you decrease the font sizes to make it more small? If you make them too small they become jagged, but using another font might help on that. Especially the description could benefit from smaller font. Also, there's some unused space on the top and bottom of the window, you could remove that.

As to the bars, I like the attempt from the first shot provided in your last post better. If you're still going to display the bars like Nikodemus recommends, then you can just display the absolute values on top of the bar, like done in the InfoWindow. The bars really don't need to be that prominent like they're now, since you are not going to use the statwindow to check how much HP you have, you should only use it for how much absolute HP you have in training matters. That's what the window is for.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 08:00:23 am by ThomPhoenix »
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 07:34:48 am »
hey, hows your progress?

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 08:05:15 am »
Kayden has started on some of this, so i am waiting to see what he comes up with before going further, idealy there *should* be a new stat/skill window in the next release, if all goes well