Author Topic: Arerano's MODs  (Read 6335 times)

Arerano

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Arerano's MODs
« on: May 01, 2008, 04:00:57 pm »
Another inventory window.

Had to use "Head" icon for the "Mind" slot... and well, used the "Belt" icon for the "Ring"-slots.
I only tried it with the "elves" Skin. Maybe it doesn't work at all with other skins - however, if it interests you, you may try it and tell me if it worked.
My goal was "tiny window with everything important". I'm sure that one will quickly get used to the arrangement of the icons(slots).

Downloadable here:
http://www.file-upload.net/download-823641/arer_inventory.zip.html

PS: don't miss my "CS-Arts thread" ;) --> Arerano's CS art

One and only tanner

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • The internet makes you stupid.
    • View Profile
Re: Arerano's MODs
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 04:24:35 pm »
 \\o// love it!  \\o//

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 04:32:14 pm »
I have also worked on a mod of the inventory window, it also requires a code change, it was for now rejected by the devs due to the decrease in the size of the inventory icons. Also i would not hide the "View" button as not all know they can right click on the icons to view their description, also there are mac users that might find it easier to see the description if they use the icon and not control click. I would not use "Gray Background" for the background i would use GM background [not sure on the case of the words as i am not at my normal pc]. I am also not a fan of the color for the font you picked combined with that background.

I also modded the small inventory window
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/5015/shot246mv3.jpg

Arerano

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 05:00:53 pm »
Having more than one column indeed makes it easier in some cases. However my inventory (since it uses 2 columns only) doesn't require a code-change.
Concerning the "View Button". Yes, I'll likely change that. (Made it mainly for myself first but provide it for those who might find it useful)
I'll probably use a transparent background instead of the gray.. althought it's not likely that the inventory will be "left open in the middle of the screen".
However, I wanted to avoid using a textured background since it renders the transparency quite useless.
And concerning the font colour.. well, I've to see how it looks with a transparent (or if transparent doesn't look good, a darker-) background.

Any ideas how I can make the "background" of frame elements transparent without having the font fading out also?
Maybe using some other background for the slots would work also. (I actually based that gui on my old inventory gui which already used those "slots" for the items)

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 05:09:32 pm »
Speaking about code, blocks of items slots are indeed usefull, although why not make it resizable? Probably quite a challange, but why not resizable window where the slots area would change amount of rows and collumns as you resize? Exactly how with shortcutcommands window.

What you can failure tommorow, failure today.

Better click for shiny stylez Help me with images!

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 05:13:19 pm »
Speaking about code, blocks of items slots are indeed usefull, although why not make it resizable? Probably quite a challange, but why not resizable window where the slots area would change amount of rows and collumns as you resize? Exactly how with shortcutcommands window.

That would require major code changes, and right now no dev has time to even consider that, also making any widget resizable with PAWS is not very easy.

Any ideas how I can make the "background" of frame elements transparent without having the font fading out also?
Maybe using some other background for the slots would work also. (I actually based that gui on my old inventory gui which already used those "slots" for the items)

I am not sure that this is possible at all, as the font is part of the background unless you try to add alpha to the font section itself, but i dont know if that would work.

rakshak

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • How to host websites on any computer
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 05:52:01 pm »
I like when a concept is neatly organized, and inventory management IS an important concept in Planeshift. Instead of having each thing in its own window, I love the idea of one unified window, like this. To have big sized icons and still less clutter, tabs could be implemented.

Overall, a great job, made my day!

Arerano

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 06:52:33 pm »
Thank you for all the comments so far. My focus was to have a "functional" inventory.
But the feedback made me try to beautify it. I hope it worked.  ;) I also added a slash "/" between capacity and max-capacity.
I also tested it with the other Skins now since this one (ab-)uses the existing art even more.. and well, it works and doesn't even look bad.

Left side = without focus (transparency). Right side = with focus.

Download link:
http://www.file-upload.net/download-823917/arer_inventory3.zip.html

PS: well, I won't win a "beauty-gui-contest" with it. (the capacity is cut off when it's higher than 999.99).. *sighs*

And some more improvements plus two more windows:
Thought I don't think that I'll use the "smallinventory" (you can show it by typing "/show bag") since the Inventory itself will serve the purpose most of the times.

Comments and suggestions are welcome. Do you think that putting the items (the slots representing the content of the inventory) on the left side of the inventory might be better?

The container window has the "move to inventory" button close to the slots. (better for the wrist :P ).

Download link: Warning! I just found a bug with the inventory window in THIS download. Which I have to fix first. However the inventory in the previous download isn't affected.
http://www.file-upload.net/download-825074/Arerano_gui4.zip.html
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 01:55:03 pm by Arerano »

Arerano

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 02:19:59 pm »
Download link: Warning! I just found a bug with the inventory window in THIS download. Which I have to fix first. However the inventory in the previous download isn't affected.
http://www.file-upload.net/download-825074/Arerano_gui4.zip.html

Fixed: (together with a tiny visual improvement. However the previous screenshots can still be used as reference how the windows look)

Download link:
http://www.file-upload.net/download-825674/Arer_gui5.zip.html

Comments are still welcome   ;)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 02:22:30 pm by Arerano »

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 02:35:49 pm »
i have redone the container window already as seen here http://hydlaa.com/smf/index.php?topic=32065.0 , this is also already in svn for the next release

Consider some people do still use ps at 800x600 and your "bag" window is getting a bit long for some to be able to view it all on screen

Arerano

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 02:45:05 pm »
Well, it's a mere redo of the containerwindow I already made once. (didn't publish it back then.) It now fits perfectly to my "Inventory window" (same slot size).
I looked at yours anyway. Is there a reason to have the "move to inventory" button far away from the container slots?

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 03:09:35 pm »
Love your work, Arerano! Continue the modding!
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

Taniquetil

• Hydlaa Resident
  • It's been real. It's been fun. It's been real fun.
    • View Profile
    • Zeitgeist (ty Sangwa)
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 03:32:19 pm »
I am having a bit of a problem extracting the file. I download the file, open it with WinRAR, and the try to extract it to Program Files/PSSteelBlue/data/gui. It then gives me a message saying:

C:/users/me/AppDara/Local/Temp/arer_inventory3.zip: Cannot create file inventory.xml
Access is denied.

I'm running Vista and it may be that, i just don't know how to run WinRAR as admin from the screen that asks you whether to open or save. I have also tried deleting the current inventory.xml file before extracting the new one with the same results. ???

EDIT: nevermind...i just ran WinRAR as admin as i regularly would and that fixed it....should have thought of that.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 03:39:25 pm by Taniquetil »
"Only two things are really infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I'm not so sure about the former."             ~Albert Einstein

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 06:28:07 pm »
Well, it's a mere redo of the containerwindow I already made once. (didn't publish it back then.) It now fits perfectly to my "Inventory window" (same slot size).
I looked at yours anyway. Is there a reason to have the "move to inventory" button far away from the container slots?

All i changed in the window is the slot size, nothing else ;) so that is why that button is so far away, it was to start with.

Arerano

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2008, 07:14:37 am »
Another bug got fixed.
Since the border of the "bag"-window gets changed by the code, I tried to trick it (previous version) which seemingly worked. But it didn't really work - unfortunately. Clicking the "X" closed the "window with border" inside the "bag window" which made it impossible to show the bag again. (unless you restart the client)

That is fixed now. Unfortunately with a less-beautiful border.
And yes, I should warn: The Bag Window is too high to fit in a 800x600 PS-window.

Download link:
http://www.file-upload.net/download-827043/Arer_mod6.zip.html