Author Topic: Small Chat Buttons  (Read 1376 times)

Jilata

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Small Chat Buttons
« on: December 02, 2010, 06:42:25 pm »
I wanted to get rid of those huge buttons so I made this. It is not finished and I am still missing some ideas what images I should use. So I would be glad if someone could help me with that.
If someone has ideas on how to sort the buttons, I would be glad for that too.
They are currently sorted like this:

First row from left to right:
Main, Whisper, Guild, Alliance, Auction
Second row from left to right:
Chat, NPC, Group, System, Help

The Buttons for the Main Chat and NPC will change as well when I have pictures which fit for them.

Maisent

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Small Chat Buttons
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 06:55:13 pm »
Wow that's awsome! I want mine like that! I am also tired of those buttons, but then how will you know if someone has whispered you? Would it show red?

Jilata

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 08:51:26 pm »
No they change the colour. Or to be more exact: When there is a new post or when they are selected they look like the selected buttons of the eleves main menu. If they are not selected they have that grey look

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 09:30:27 pm »
neat
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?

derula

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • My main: Jamona Shikon
    • View Profile
    • Ugly Horst Tld.
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 11:49:28 am »
If someone has ideas on how to sort the buttons, I would be glad for that too.
They are currently sorted like this:

First row from left to right:
Main, Whisper, Guild, Alliance, Auction
Second row from left to right:
Chat, NPC, Group, System, Help

I think the order is pretty good already. I have mine ordered a bit differently:

To explain why system is so far at the beginning: I set the options to only show basic system messages in Main. Thus, I get battle messages separated from dialogue which means I don't have to scroll up all the time when someone's fighting in hearing range. Also, NPC and system are next to each other to be convenient during questing, because I have to change to system to see what items I got. Finally, NPC next to Main because both involve non-ranged speech.

It's not on two lines though.... Well maybe you could do this:
Main, Whisper, Group, Guild, Alliance
System, NPC, Auction, Channels, Help

Then the first line would be increasing in how many people you're usually talking to, while the Main-NPC-System closeness the reason for which I explained above is still maintained.

Of course, it's a matter of taste.

Edit: Almost forgot: excellent idea, I'd like to have that!

Edit2: Exchanged System and NPC. Thus, NPC would now be under Whisper, which is good since they are similar in range. Also, Auction, Channels, Help are ordered by OOCyness, Auction being the least OOC. Maybe should exchange help with Channels? I dunno, I like Help in the corner.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 07:51:37 am by derula »

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 09:36:25 am »
I like that order, I understand its purpose well.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Jilata

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 06:32:33 pm »
I changed the order button like suggested. Only the group and guild button is switched.

The images I am currently using are from the Elves Theme:
Main: a simple button with a smiley text
Whisper: the petitions button of the main menu
Group:the  buddylist button of the main menu
Guild: the guild button of the main menu
Alliance: the shortcut button of the main menu
System: the information button of the main menu
NPC: the quest button of the main menu
Auction: when auction is not selected or nothing new the image of the glove slot and otherwise the storage image
Channels: the communications button of the main menu
Help: the help button of the main menu

I still like some suggestions for the images. I don't really have an idea for those.

And I am going to upload this. Does anyone know a good site to upload? I never uploaded a file for other to download  :-[

derula

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Ugly Horst Tld.
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 06:48:07 pm »
I still like some suggestions for the images. I don't really have an idea for those.

Maybe someone could draw some? That would be awesome. Because I really like the idea of the small buttons.

And I am going to upload this. Does anyone know a good site to upload? I never uploaded a file for other to download  :-[

I'd recommend MediaFire.

Jilata

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 06:27:21 am »
Here is the current version:

http://www.mediafire.com/?7w73wbvfavlocus
http://www.mediafire.com/?bdcwsovaorxx2cz

Just copy them in installation_file_path\data\gui

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 07:21:39 am »
What - just two XML files?

Those you could as well paste to some Pastebin provider, with eternal duration. See also: Comparison of pastebins

When you are going to include own images, you will possibly zip them up into an archive file. I will offer you then a private file hosting, as I already do for the BoniSkin.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

derula

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Ugly Horst Tld.
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 10:09:06 am »
Hi, I tested it. Here's what I think:
- The icons are so tiny you can barely recognize or even distinguish them. I guess this could be fixed if either someone drew really awesome small icons or you make them taller (will probably have to be relocated then...) Alternatively I guess the first letter (resp. first 2 letters) of the tab name could be used. I don't know... every options except the first one kinda corrupts your idea, and the first one is unlikely to happen...
- I had trouble realizing which ones were highlighted, partly because they are so small, partly because they are too dark colored. Maybe you could draw a red square around them as a highlight, if that's possible?

Tuathanach

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
  • Arch Chancellor of the Knowledge Seekers
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge seekers
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 01:44:39 pm »
Jilata, a great mod i have been meaning to do a new chat box but never got round to it. I have altered yours to better suit my needs, hope you dont mind. i have attached it here (if you object i will of course remove it), i put the buttons a long the bottom in 1 line and made them slightly larger

Chat box with buttons along the bottom
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 01:47:00 pm by Tuathanach »
Shindroks Crater Project Wiki
Interested contact Myself or Zunna.
We are contactable ingame, by PM or on Discord

Jilata

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 02:50:00 pm »
Jilata, a great mod i have been meaning to do a new chat box but never got round to it. I have altered yours to better suit my needs, hope you dont mind. i have attached it here (if you object i will of course remove it), i put the buttons a long the bottom in 1 line and made them slightly larger
I don't mind at all. I thought about about having the buttons on the left side like the default. I will try that next.

Hi, I tested it. Here's what I think:
- The icons are so tiny you can barely recognize or even distinguish them. I guess this could be fixed if either someone drew really awesome small icons or you make them taller (will probably have to be relocated then...) Alternatively I guess the first letter (resp. first 2 letters) of the tab name could be used. I don't know... every options except the first one kinda corrupts your idea, and the first one is unlikely to happen...
- I had trouble realizing which ones were highlighted, partly because they are so small, partly because they are too dark colored. Maybe you could draw a red square around them as a highlight, if that's possible?
I don't want to use letters. It wouldn't be a big problem if I could use only the first one. But if you use two letters for each butten, it will get confusing. So I used images instead.
I have some ideas for for the buttons. Mostly using the same picture but not as detailed as before. But there are still buttons I don't know what image would fit them. For example the NPC and Alliance button.
The red square would be possible as well. But I think I have to use new images for those.

Jilata

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 03:18:28 pm »

Chat box with buttons at the left side

I like it this way even better. Still some buttons need a new image, cause it is hard to tell if they are highlighted or not.

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 03:29:24 pm »
A great idea! I'd prefer the icons to be on the top though, because we usually stretch its height rather than its width.
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!