Author Topic: Improved help.xml  (Read 1575 times)

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Improved help.xml
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 07:01:24 am »
Thanks Bonifarzia.

I had a short chat with Neeno yesterday in IRC and will rename my modified skin to "BoNeeSkinMod" or something like this with the next release. Not a problem at all for me and I see Neeno's point that using the same name and just messing with the version numbers can easily lead to confusion. I just would like to stay with a name that at least resembles the old name as in fact I hardly modified anything about the skin and just reused your great work. All I needed a skin for is to have a place where I can add the images for the in-game help. (But of course it would be an honor if some of my changes will be ported back to your original skin...some of them will be needed anyway for the next release. So I don't see this like forking and more like providing a playground for me. ;))

About the pictures...yeah, bad luck, will upload them somewhere else now as well. The ACTA-protest should be over tomorrow again so looks like it was just a bad timing for uploading pictures there. But as I personally have to agree with the reservations against ACTA I can't blame them for protesting.

Yeah...the spoiler section...was clear that this will cause some...commotion. ;)
I discussed this with several players and of course I can understand if someone doesn't want to use any spoilers at all. But at the same time it appears there are many players who wouldn't mind to have a list of trainers available in game or maps with the positions of NPCs or mining places. So there was right from the start the plan to make one version with spoilers and a second one without them. But as long as this is still heavily worked on I prefer to work on the "full" version. Removing the spoiler-section at the end for a second version is easier than working on two versions already now.

Oh..and no, I wasn't as crazy to try to get a mini-map patch included in the PS sourcecode. ;) So for now static image maps in the help have to do.

For the future I also have to check out if it's possible to provide the help.xml as part of the skin. That would be my preferred solution as the updater doesn't touch skins. For sure it could be provided as a "translation" but then I limit people again to "English". For testing purposes I think just overwriting the original file is fine for now...especially as a "pslaunch --repair" will restore the original file again but in the future I hope I can find a better solution for that.

If there are any other concerns regrading the use of your skin...or just for suggestions feel always free to contact me (This is true for everyone not just Bonifarzia of course. Despite my reputation I don't bite...normally). Can usually find me as "AiwendilH" in #psde on freenode (at least if they don't kick me for constantly using English ;)) but contacting me here in the forums is fine too of course (As long as I don't get banned again ;))

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 07:10:17 am »
 :innocent: We really try hard to be tolerant about the amount of english language in a german channel ... but failing is just human.  :whistling:

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 07:23:20 am »
Your own fault Ligh...making #psde the friendliest PlaneShift related chat channel is bound to lure some non-Germans there. And come on...soon you will have Vayl at the point she starts complaining about me using English too. Also having some English natives in mumble isn't that bad...the English of all of us could use some...constructive criticism at times. ;)

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 08:16:06 am »
How many more smilies do I have to add to make a joke obvious? :P

Of course, the more diverse people you meet, the more diverse you can develop yourself. I wonder where the visitor with the largest distance will come from to our next meeting.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2012, 02:27:55 pm »
Just a small update...still heavily worked on.

And the necessary help.xml:
http://min.us/mp3gA8OaT#4o

Oh..and one more screenshot:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 07:40:39 pm by Talad »

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2012, 03:46:41 pm »
So..now that 0.5.9 is out this could be actually used by others. So an update from me:

There is still a lot that could be added of course. Also there are for sure plenty of typos in it still. But compared to the standard help I think it's still an improvement.

What I have so far:

Introduction
General Information
  Links
    Official Sites
    Community Sites
    Guild Sites
  Files
    Configuration Files
      options.cfg
      planeshift.cfg
      ...plenty of other files...
      options/tooltips.xml
    User files
      Books
      Character descriptions
      Chat logs
      Screenshots
      Sketches
  Roleplay Guide
    Play a Role
    Don't play alone
    Understand the difference between IC and OOC
    Godmodding
    RP-fights
    Common sense
  The GM team
Playing the game
  User Interface
    Chat Window
      Tab Completion
      Spellchecker
      Chat tabs
        Main
        Chat
        NPC
        Whisper
        Guild
        Group
        Alliance
        Auction
        System
        Help
      Info window
      Stats and skills window
      Inventory window
      Quests window
      Spell Book
      Guild Window
        Members
        Permissions
        Alliance
      Buddy List
      Group window
      Petitions Window
      Shortcuts
        Creating new shortcuts
      Option Window
        Controls/Keys
        Controls/Mouse
        Controls/Entities
        Graphics/Camera
        Graphics/Details
        Graphics/Labels
        Graphics/Shadows
        Sound/General
        Confirmation/PvP
        Confirmation/Marriage
        Interface/Pop-ups
        Interface/Tooltips
        Interface/Chat
        Interface/Chat - Logs
        Interface/Chat - Filter
        Interface/Chat - Tabs
        Interface/Chat - Bubbles
        Interface/Chat - TabCompletion
        Interface/Spellchecker
        Interface/Autoexec
      Help Window
    Chat commands
      Alliance commands
        ...plenty of commands...
      Chat related commands
        ...plenty of commands...
      Combat commands
        ...plenty of commands...
      Crafting commands
        ...plenty of commands...
      Group commands
        ...plenty of commands...
      Guild commands
        ...plenty of commands...
      Help Channel commands
        ...plenty of commands...
      Interaction commands
        ...plenty of commands...
      Item commands
        ...plenty of commands...
      Miscellaneaous commands
        ...plenty of commands...
      Pet commands
        ...plenty of commands...
Spoiler
  Maps
    Amdeneir
    Burial Well
    Central Hydlaa
    Death Realm
    Laanx Dungeon
    Velnishi Cave
  Trainer
    Stats
      ...plenty of stats...
    Combat
      ...plenty of skills...
    Magic
      ...plenty of skills...
    Jobs
      ...plenty of skills...
    Various
      ...not that many skills...

Not everything of the above list is complete yet. That maps are only basic skeleton images so far for example. Also a lot of the texts need some changes.

If you are still interested you can download everything here:

http://minus.com/mp3gA8OaT/2f
This is the help.xml file. It needs to replace the old help.xml file in data/ of your planeshift installation directory. In case you use a translation of Planeshift the file must go to lang/<translation>/data and replace the help.xml there.

And last but not least the changed I made to the BoNeeMod skin:

* helpwindow.xml: Changed to pawsDocumentView to work with SVN trunk and enable images in the help window
* dialog.xml: Copied the latest changes from trunk to make the skin work with trunk
* chardescwindow.xml: Enabled the spellchecker for char descriptions
* questnotebook.xml: Enabled the spellchecker for quest notes
* shortcutwindow.xml: Enabled the spellchecker for the command text box (Not sure if this is really helpful as most commands aren't exactly words...but some people tend to write RP-shortcuts here so having the ability to spellcheck might be nice here too)
* guildwindow.xml: Enabled the spellchecker for the MOTD
* chat.xml: Disabled "always on top"...my chat window covers a quarter of the screen...I want to be able to still change options with it visible.
* added petition.xml and enabled the spellchecker for the text
* removed dialog.xml to work with PS version 0.5.9

So, try it out...and if you feel like it post improvement suggestions (Or if you are very bold write me a nice short guide about combat and crafting in PS I can include. I have no clue of any of those topics). Also the spoiler lists I was allowed to use are a bit dated...if someone could provide me with more recent trainer lists I would appreciate that.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 07:41:14 pm by Talad »

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2012, 05:09:22 pm »
A pity this help file makes the client crash:

ERROR: Invalid 'data/help.xml': Not a binary CS document
Error (in: line 1:1)

Obviously a nonsensical error message. The original help file is no binary file either, but a plain text XML.
__

Ah, the reason was: It contains an UTF-8 "smilie" character. This is probably unsupported by the PS XML parser.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 05:18:19 pm by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2012, 05:24:58 pm »
Nah..partly my fault..and partly PS's fault. Seems the binary client is not able to load unicode files. So I changed it to ansi. Updated help.xml now. The links above are still valid.

One addition: The images are only displayed if the help window is wide enough to display the image. There isn't much I can do about this. In later version I will just prevent the help window through to skin to become too small but for now it might be necessary to make the window larger to actually see some images.

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2012, 01:50:16 am »
A pity this help file makes the client crash:

ERROR: Invalid 'data/help.xml': Not a binary CS document
Error (in: line 1:1)

Obviously a nonsensical error message. The original help file is no binary file either, but a plain text XML.
__

Ah, the reason was: It contains an UTF-8 "smilie" character. This is probably unsupported by the PS XML parser.

crystal space. xml parsers have nothing to do with ps.

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2012, 05:39:20 am »
It has in the sense of that it obviously depends on how you compile CS. I have no problem at all here to load unicode xml files...but the binary client has.

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2012, 10:24:14 am »
figure out the difference then as cs is built with libraries shipped with the distribution.

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2012, 07:38:20 am »
Aiwendil, I think many parts of your help.xml are really good.

I would like to add some of it to the standard game help. Is that ok to have that under Atomic Blue license and packaged with the game?

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2012, 01:14:38 pm »
*sigh*

Now it gets complicated.

I never had much of a problem to release patches for PS under the GPL and even assigning the copyright to Atomic blue for the code. No matter what happens in the future, even in the unlikely case Atomic blue decides to change the license of the code, the current version will always be available under GPL so others will have access to that code and can modify it. The ability to have access to work I have done and to be able to modify it for ones own needs is something that is very important for me. And this is no question of political correctness for me. Wouldn't really matter if the code was licensed BSD either. It's just that if I write some code in my spare time I want it to be "helpful" for others (Not only by function but also as base or example. Not saying that any of my code is even good enough to be reused...just want to give the possibility)

But it's a completely different game to release something under AB-Content license. Especially for the help.xml file some questions come up there.

First, it's very unclear for me what license applied to the old help.xml file. It's available through to public SVN repository of PlaneShift (http://planeshift.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/planeshift/trunk/data/help.xml). And even more, without that file the GPL code won't start. So for my understanding the official help.xml file is GPL licensed. (As are the data/gui/*xml files. I already submitted several patches for some of those always assuming they are GPL licensed). If this is the case lets stop here...I have no problem at all to relicense this work to GPL and by this make it easily available for inclusion in PS.

Now lets assume I misunderstand this and the help.xml file is indeed ABC licensed. First...please provide another, very simple help.xml file then to make it at least possible to run the GPL code. But lets talk about what it would mean to relicense this all under ABC.

First, and a real show-stopper for me, from my understanding it means nobody will be able anymore to take my help.xml, edit it and then make it available for example for his/her guildmates.
10. Limited License of Works: You may not copy, modify, publish, transmit, sell, participate in the transfer or sale or reproduce, create Derivative Works from, distribute, perform, display or in any way exploit any of the Works submitted to Atomic Blue, except as follows:
I understand the reasons for PS choosing this way (even if I don't agree, but that's beside the point here). But I don't think it really makes sense for the help.xml. It's very doubtable that any other game would copy a help text specifically written for PS. But I see a lot of advantages allowing players to modify this text to their own needs and redistributing it to others.

Next Problem I see for me:
9. Ownership; Derivative Works: You understand and agree that, between you and Atomic Blue, Atomic Blue owns any and all works of authorship that contain a Work owned by Atomic Blue (whether owned from creation or by assignment), including Derivative Works.
If I get this right everything I write with this help.xml as base would automatically also become AB-Content. In the end this means for me that if I allow parts of it to become ABC I can't distribute an own, enhanced versions of it myself anymore as it's not allowed by the ABC license.

And now a problem I see in general:
6. Confidentiality: The Atomic Blue Property may be proprietary to Atomic Blue, a Member or a third party. By accepting any code or content relating to the PlaneShift project or Software or other active project of Atomic Blue from Atomic Blue or a Member, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU ARE APPROVED FOR MEMBERSHIP IN ATOMIC BLUE, you acknowledge and agree that (i) as between you and Atomic Blue, Atomic Blue is the owner of all such Atomic Blue Property (regardless of whether subject to an open source license), and (ii) you will not disclose any information related to any of such Atomic Blue Property other than to other Members. The only exceptions to your obligations not to disclose code or content are that you have the right to disclose code or content that you can demonstrate was (a) distributed by Atomic Blue under an open source license agreement, (b) released with permission (in written or electronic form) from a department leader or director, or (c) is required to be disclosed by a governmental authority, but you must first notify Atomic Blue of such requirement and
take reasonable legal steps to prevent code or content not subject to such requirement from disclosure. Any attempt to subvert the authorization mechanisms for disclosure of such information may constitute a crime or violation of law, including the theft or conversion of intellectual property of Atomic Blue, a Member or a third party. Without limiting the foregoing, you acknowledge that Atomic Blue, ATOMIC BLUE and PlaneShift are trade names or trademarks of Atomic Blue.
Ahm...parts of this help.xml file are old texts i have written years ago that were made public a long time ago on several webpages. And Even in this thread I "disclose" already the work. So I kind of would break this "rule" already right from the start

So, maybe i misunderstood most of these terms and and clear explanation will invalidate all my reservations. I have no problem in general to make this work available for PS and/or atomic blue but not at all costs (meaning...it must stay modifiable for non-Atomic Blue members as well). So some response on these points would be appreciated. And of course the easiest way would be to just include it as it as...CC licensed. Nothing is stopping you from just doing this.

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2012, 03:26:08 pm »
The current licensing status of help.xml is not clearly stated in the file, considering it includes copyrighted material, like race names, setting pieces, etc... I consider it under AB license.

AB License is made to protect PlaneShift and ensure it's assets are used in the context of PS only. The people working with us on the game (being them external contributors or developers) should not feel this license as a limitation of their work for PS, as we consider common sense is applied and so everything which is made to improve the game is generally well accepted and encouraged even if it's against the license. Examples are the modification skins, which would not be possible in theory, but are accepted as they make the game nicer.

To summarize we prefer to have the assets under AB license and then relax the rule whenever we see someone is working in favor of the game, instead of keeping everything open and have no way to control our assets usage, distribution or modifications.

Hundreds of contributors have happily worked within these boundaries, knowing their assets were protected to stay and evolve inside PS. So you should not fear about distributing the material to your guilds members, or to be allowed to create other derivative copies, as that will be allowed and even encouraged if it's made to enhance the game. In any case if you  have any doubts you can always ask for an approval upfront or discuss the matter. We have always been very open to allow changes/modification/usage if the request was reasonable (example include PS uses in thesis, for scientific research, ...)

As already mentioned in this thread some time ago, the best is to consider yourself a PS contributor, and release your additions under AB license, so we collectively (yourself included) can decide what to do with the assets and their evolution.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2012, 06:54:52 am »
Okay, so no GPL for help.xml :/

I fear I wasn't very clear what really bothers me about putting this work under ABC. I don't really care much about myself there. I'm not in any "guild", I don't even play this game anymore. But that's the point. I started working on this after I provided the patches to make the work of the GSoC student available for the in-game help. It's partly to see if the code works and partly to see what is possible with it...and to some extend because it could be useful for some players. By now I got my answers to the first two questions so the only reason to go on with this would be because it might be useful for other players. But part of the "usefulness" is in my view the ability that everyone can contribute, modify and redistribute this file. I won't be working forever on this but it's already clear right now that some parts of this help will become outdated in the future. It's said for some time already that the in-game options window needs a major overhaul. This will probably invalidate a lot of the infos I give about it. Also it's to be expected that new chat commands will be added all the time. So I want that everyone could just take this file without asking for anyone's permission, modify it and then redistribute it without any restrictions (Guild was only an example, best would be of course to all players). And for me it's not really enough to say it would be "tolerated" as the license explicitly forbids it. Someone starting to play this game in a year from now will never learn about this "permission". Of course in an ideal world there would be enough man-power in the PS team to maintain the help file and keep it updated all the time. But as we all know this isn't an ideal world and even then players know often better what really needs to be explained and how.

And I don't really want to get into a discussion about the advantages or disadvantages for PS choosing this kind of licensing. This is discussed every few years again and by now I probably heard all possible arguments from all sides. Of course I have my own opinion about this, but that doesn't really matter at the moment. PS chose this licensing so the only question for me right now is if it is possible to get my wishes fulfilled "despite" the way PS handles it. I'm afraid at the moment I don't see how this could be possible.

So, am I Stubborn? Yes, of course. I rather have a week of abstinence than admitting my GF is "right". I think that's pretty stubborn for a man. ;) But it's not that easy in this case. I'm perfectly fine with just distributing this help as an external package. The only reason why I put some thoughts in the question if relicensing under ABC is a possibility for me is because I think it could be helpful for some new players to have an extensive in-game help right from the start without having to install any add-ons. That is were my stubbornness kicks in. I'm afraid it's more important for me to keep this open for everyone than making it easily available for everyone. And stubbornness is a two edged sword in this case as nothing is preventing the inclusion of this file in PS even right now.

Now lets get constructive...and see if I could think of possible solutions:

Okay, I don't have much of a clue how double-licensing works...but would it be a possibility to have this files distributed under ABC and CC (or GPL)? That way everyone could just redistribute it under the license he/she prefers.

Still my preferred solution would be to just make the help-file GPL. It would get around this whole discussion and also not stir up any other unnecessary discussions about the licensing of "real" artwork or content. Also the reasons for PlaneShift to use ABC don't really apply to this file as I just can see no reason why anyone would want to reuse this in another project (beside of course as example/base for an own help). By this everyone could work and improve it without having to accept the ABC license.