Author Topic: Adding new assets to a server  (Read 825 times)

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Adding new assets to a server
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 04:21:43 am »
I don't know much about all required details; but you may find it useful too look into e.g. data/zoneinfo.xml or art/skins/base/clientbase.zip:imagelist.xml and other XML/CFG/CSLib files contained in the ZIP archives mounted via vfs.cfg. To read e.g. art/materials.zip:materials.cslib, you will have to convert it from binary back to text XML format using the CrystalSpace tool docconv; using the binary format is a kind of "content protection", I believe.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

apalazzi

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 05:31:58 am »
Hi,

LigH, thanks for the hints :)

In fact it's not mandatory to store the data in binary format, the text .xml wil also work.
There's not even the need to zip all the files together in world.zip, meshes.zip etc.: you can put all the files in a directory and then change the vfs.cfg file to point to that directory instead of the zip file; the .zip file and the binary formats give better performance while loading the contents, but at the moment we're using text formats and directories for easier testing and modifications.

Regarding the "public" concept, I can understand that the PS team wants to prevent others to put up clones of their shard and encourage people to join PS, however I don't see problems if someone creates a new and different world using the same engine; in fact this would be beneficial also for PS as there will be more people working on the code, and bug fixes could be shared.

Chetty: even if the file format is not documented one can figure out thing by looking at the code... I know that a good documentation is more convenient, however the "open" license requires only to share the code and not to document it, and if the developers aren't willing to document something there's nothing we can do (except to document it ourselves).

Back to my original question: the various xml files are updated by hand when a new content is added? Also other operations are done by hand or there's a helper tool for this?

Bye
Andrea

PS: chetty, maybe we can somehow cooperate? Is there a site about your effort to setup a PS world? Or maybe you can send me an email? My address should be visible on my profile.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 05:48:55 am by apalazzi »

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 06:25:09 am »
Regarding the "public" concept, I can understand that the PS team wants to prevent others to put up clones of their shard and encourage people to join PS, however I don't see problems if someone creates a new and different world using the same engine; in fact this would be beneficial also for PS as there will be more people working on the code, and bug fixes could be shared.

while we encourage joining the dev team to expand the PS world I think it's surely a good thing if more peoples work on the code base. I'm sorry but I cannot offer much helps regarding graphics (scripting is my domain) but if you find out the way to do it and you feel like updating the documentation (http://planeshift.top-ix.it/pswiki/index.php?title=Tools_pipeline) that would be great and surely appreciated.

Chetty

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2013, 10:55:55 pm »
Thanks for the help both here and on irc I am making progress. Didn't mean to complain, I know documentation is way down on the list. I am sumbling my way thru, and its is on my list to go back and contribute to the documentation when I am sure I have enough figured out for it to be useful. (haha maybe a diary of my adventures)