Author Topic: Challenge #1  (Read 8015 times)

FalcoN

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Simple Mixing bowl
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2004, 09:45:38 pm »

A very basic mortar and pestle used to crush and mix ingredients in. Created in Wings3D.
mortar:   96 tris
128x128 texture

pestle:   26 tris

Any comment is welcome.

kaptainkranium

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2004, 03:10:32 pm »
I like the mortar and pestle. Simple enough, would look good in game.

Are we supposed to create our own textures?where do you guys get yours?

FalcoN

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Textures
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2004, 06:17:57 pm »
http://www.animax.it/animax/Textures.htm

This is a great place to get quality hi-res FREE textures.

elscouta

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2004, 06:30:20 pm »
Well that may be a nice site but Planeshift won\'t (afaik) use any of these textures.  All graphic material of Planeshift must be published under the Planeshift license, that forbid the use of the textures in other places. So none of these textures can be covered by it.

To be exact, i don\'t even see any mention of license (free use, gpl, public domain???)

And i really like the last model btw :tup:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 06:31:20 pm by elscouta »
High Loremaster of the Arcane Order.

kaptainkranium

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2004, 06:44:22 pm »
\"Well that may be a nice site but Planeshift won\'t (afaik) use any of these textures. All graphic material of Planeshift must be published under the Planeshift license, that forbid the use of the textures in other places. So none of these textures can be covered by it.

To be exact, i don\'t even see any mention of license (free use, gpl, public domain???) \"

So, how do we legally add textures to our objects if their going to be used in PS?Is making them ourselves the only way?

FalcoN

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2004, 04:33:58 am »
It very vaguely states:  \" 1000 Free Textures!!! \"

I don\'t really know if that would qualify as GPL, freeware, ...

As I see it,  you are \'free\' to use them for whatever project you want.

FalcoN

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2004, 04:39:51 am »
Also,
you can check out Laanx Wheel of Wishes.

http://lww.demon-host.com/index.php?page=textures

It\'s a collection of ideas and material that has been contributed to the PlaneShift Project.

Although not as updated as it used to be IMHO, you can still find some great resources over there.

elscouta

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2004, 05:59:00 am »
The problem is not whether Planeshift can use it, it is whether Planeshift can cover it with its own license (or if textures doesn\'t need to be covered by PS license).

And the initial post of acraig states \"Create texture\" so for the challenge, i guess even LWW is not allowed...

Someone confirms?
High Loremaster of the Arcane Order.

scream681

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2005, 07:56:17 am »
Here is my attempt at the bowl, I tried to make a wooden look:

If you like it, tell me to send you a link to the model&texture via PM. I cant post a link cause of limited bandwith.

Edit: The image above is rendered without any lighting, so the mesh is not shaded on them. Also everything is done from scratch, model & texture, no refferences were used.

cheers, scream681.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 08:16:00 am by scream681 »
If you think you have it... you don\'t. If you think you don\'t have it...     you still don\'t.

Nilrem

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2005, 08:20:43 am »
imo it looks good.
Although it doesn\'t seem to me like a wooden one.
Perhaps I\'m wrong, but i\'m more comfortable thinking that it is a stone polished one, it looks heavy. I like it.
Are there any MoonSeekers left?

scream681

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2005, 11:01:36 am »
In medieval times they couldnt make thin wooden bowls, cause they would break, but yeah maybe I didnt make the texture good enough to look like wood 100%.
If you think you have it... you don\'t. If you think you don\'t have it...     you still don\'t.

hramrach

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2005, 08:09:11 am »
I kind of like lythia\'s bowl. But I am not sure what it is made of. It looks like paper to me. Or perhaps some thin tree bark or something like that.

I think the texture could be better aligned in some places, though. But maybe it is made of several layers that do not cover the whole bowl - who knows.

These would be interesting bowls :)

scream681: the bowl really looks like some sandstone at first glance. But it could be some hard wood as well. And at the outside bottom the pattern seems to form some sort of spiral which really does not look as wood. And perhaps the handles are a bit too sharp.
But it is a nice bowl, not just boring part of sphere. With a bit of polishing it would be very good :)
Observer .. or watcher?

scream681

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2005, 02:54:58 pm »
The handles are sharp because I tried to keep as low polygon as possible, I\'ll try to see if I cane make a better texture, thanx for the constructive criticism. :)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 02:55:50 pm by scream681 »

Exhibit 13

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2005, 11:21:09 pm »
Well, took me about 30 minutes. The texture isnt great. But I can send you the .obj file without the texture, so you can create your own. Well, enjoy :o).

Sorry but my 3D modeling program didn\'t show polygons, :o(.

Oh, and this is my first post :o).