Author Topic: How to run a new player off.  (Read 3273 times)

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Re: How to run a new player off.
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2013, 01:51:38 am »
Gathering wiggly antennas and lard, making tarts, moonie-esc retreats... playing the bard...

These are tasks that that might be extremely challenging for a newbie. I think that to make the game more enjoyable for them, players need to bend a little more.... dumb it down, show them your cards, so to speak.

I think that by doing these, we're treating them like honored guests - who we clearly wish to encourage.

Pakarro

• Hydlaa Resident
  • My kind mistress is Pakerl from "The Family"
    • View Profile
    • meet Pakerl
« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2013, 02:23:06 am »
Wouldn't it be nice if a newcomer could switch on some sign above his/her/kras name (e.g. a question mark) to show they need some assistance? Then experienced players who feel like it could help, and others leave them alone....  An automatic marker is nonsense, when you have all the alts calling for help....
Glad to meet you :)

Taya

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2013, 02:41:10 am »
Hmm.. I still remain a big fan of typing "/tell MaybeANoob Hello! I don't think I met you before. Are you a new player?" and then taking it from there. I've had people reply to this and then ask me OOC questions about the game in /tells, and even had one who deleted and remade his character entirely once we'd talked about the RP in PS because he wanted to make sure it was a character he'd be able to role-play. The questions I have had in reply have mostly been intelligent ones in general either way, ranging from this example to the more basic "is this game good?" "how many people play?" "how much RP actually happens?" "is it really free or will I need to pay for the best items?" These are all questions someone might want to have answers to before learning too much about the annoying little details of how PS works. Why invest too much until you have an idea that you might want to stay?

And if they don't answer the /tell, that seems the best time to switch the OOC into main a little.(I use brackets when doing so even if alone with the 'noob' because it can never hurt to start off the 'brackets = OOC' association when used in main as soon as possible.)

Regarding everything Tessra said about types of RP and which are right/wrong - full and absolute agreement. This community would probably not feel quite so small if all of the little factions with their 'preferences' would just stop bashing each other and look for some common ground instead.

I'm largely in Tessra's position with regard to what kind of RP I do/don't like and one of the reasons I have mostly withdrawn from 'serious' RP is because I haven't been able to find any that consistently goes on in my timezone and all that I seem to find is tavern-talk and helping people learn how to do things. No plots with depth. It's hugely frustrating for me as an RPer, but I still always respond to people who approach me with these kinds of things. I would certainly never tell them they need to change their RP style in order to interact with me.

It's basic decency really and also because I recognise that people change how they RP and interact with others over time. I'd go as far as saying that, if approached by someone trying to RP, it's always better to respond IC to them, even if it's just an IC method of distancing yourself from that RP because you don't favour it - because you never know when that same RPer might instead do some RP you would like and which you otherwise might have on some level excluded yourself from.

If you don't like 'darker' themed RP, then it stands to reason you'll be playing a character who doesn't want to be tied up in those things as well. Have your character decide to limit their involvement. It doesn't take much to type "/me stares blankly at RandomBadGuy, excuses themself quickly and walks away" or even "/me looks carefully at RandomBadWoman, then looks away and continues with blahblahThingTheyWereDoing." It can always be accompanied by a quick /tell just to make sure it's understood, but it's easy to acknowledge an RP without it overtaking your own.

Quick edit - Pakarro, that is exactly what I'd be in favour of. I have often used low level alt characters to 'help' people from and that would really fail if a had a big flashing NOOB sign over my own head at the time. :)
Let it be an optional selector on character creation if anything at all.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 02:43:25 am by Taya »

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 16, 2013, 03:12:52 am »
Maybe a quick fix for those too afraid to ask for help is putting a tiny OOC note into your description referring new players to your OOC tab where you can have a FAQ that features answers to the questions that you have been asked or have been asked around you. The thought there is that you'll either run into the same new people or you might find groups of new people in your timezone with the same questions, so rather than give the A-Z on Planeshift, just address those questions which frequently occur around you. You can also have the note inviting people to ask questions like many already have.

But, this way they don't have to be self conscious about asking you something right off the bat and if they feel you are helpful they might relax enough to approach you.

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2013, 05:51:25 am »
Rigwyn, you've got to be joking about implementing a noob label.

Something, something, psychological manipulation/punishment...
Words, words... I'm misreading and overreacting!

Also, calling someone's hard work and effort, on the part of myself and others who tend towards darker role play, totally unproductive, is bashing. I would have preferred the proverbial finger-wagging shame-on-you.

I don't get how you do this. Okay, maybe I do. But I'm pretty sure Pierre wasn't ever talking about your roleplay preferences. I think he was referencing how you manipulated this thread to seem as if cdmoreland was a disingenuous villain. So... I checked his profile. He's 61 years old. Old people don't lie. They tell so much truth it comes out awkward and slightly offensive.

Like, you can literally gauge the likelihood someone is lying by knowing their age.

Young ------------------------------------------------------- Old
Liar ---------------------------------------------------- Truth...er
Ebonwumon | Volki | Mariana | Illysia | Tessra | Rigwyn | cdmoreland

Saying "You shouldn't RP Situation X because it offends/bothers/disturbs/interrupts/etc/etc/etc my favorite type of RP" is complete and utter rivnak dung. 

Wow, really? Guess it isn't rivnak dung when it comes to me, is it? And then I just realized I totally misread that sentence because there are too many //////. I can't even get offended properly anymore. Whatever. I'm still going to react emotionally and get all mad anyway. Never miss out on a chance to be mad!

I'm going to cry myself to sleep now. Night night.
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2013, 06:26:27 am »
Because tears don't lie?  ;D

Sorry.  :-[

But I don't believe that the (physical) age is the only criterion of maturity.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2013, 06:50:13 am »
The new players need something simpler, they can't handle learning role play. The don't bother to read before the tutorial is started. Perhaps simplistic videos might help them get started?

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2013, 07:46:51 am »
Wouldn't it be nice if a newcomer could switch on some sign above his/her/kras name (e.g. a question mark) to show they need some assistance? Then experienced players who feel like it could help, and others leave them alone....  An automatic marker is nonsense, when you have all the alts calling for help....

That kind of is installed. Even as a, somewhat, experience player the /help command has caught me the odd time when going in expecting a more robust definition on a subject and remembering it actually sends it out to the help channel. The trick is to have those that can supply that help listening. :)

- Nova

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2013, 09:11:07 am »
That kind of is installed. Even as a, somewhat, experience player the /help command has caught me the odd time when going in expecting a more robust definition on a subject and remembering it actually sends it out to the help channel. The trick is to have those that can supply that help listening. :)

- Nova

I wonder how hard it would be to bump the help channel up a few notches on the chat tabs. Why? Because frankly just getting it to open that far takes up like, a quarter of the screen. I never even see the help tab because it's always in the bottomless abyss somewhere beyond Alliance chat. We should put the less productive things down there. Like gossip.  ;D In all seriousness though it might actually help to put it higher on the charts, as it were.

On a (sort of?) side note, I think implementing an instruction "manual" on how to manipulate the chat tabs in settings might be helpful. That's almost always one of the first questions. A lot of new players actually can't read /tells because they don't even know why the whisper tab is blinking. (Or sometimes it isn't even there at all.) I can't even count how many times I've guided people through which boxes to click to figure that puppy out.

cdmoreland

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Main: Waesed Waesech
    • View Profile
    • Ad Libertatem
« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2013, 12:22:29 pm »
There is more action here than in the game!  ;D

I've mentioned the chat tabs many times in the Dev's meetings, but they think they have it right already.

I've tried to use /tell many times, but they mostly answer me in Main. It is confusing, at first, to even use the different tabs.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2013, 03:05:12 pm »
There is more action here than in the game!  ;D

Been that way for years.  ;)

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2013, 04:18:15 pm »
Welcome to the scale, LigH.

Young                                                                                   > Old
Liar                                                                            > Truth-teller
Ebonwumon | Volki | Mariana | Illysia | Tessra | LigH | Rigwyn | cdmoreland

(It's also had a fabulous update.)
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2013, 04:26:32 pm »
You changed the colors ... Without breaking it!
You should work for microsoft.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2013, 05:46:24 pm »
 ;D I'm in the middle.

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2013, 06:22:59 pm »
;D I'm in the middle.

Need more room omn the right for my age :)