Author Topic: Full Names  (Read 1174 times)

Silverblade

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Full Names
« on: September 04, 2002, 06:44:41 am »
If there was to be a seperate server for role playing, would it be possible to have two names (a first and a last)

for example, I would be Tegdaen Silverblade.

I dunno if this is a good or bad idea, let me know what you think.

Aruneko

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2002, 09:15:56 am »
I thought the main server was going to be role-playing.  Isn\'t it?

paxx

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2002, 10:20:43 am »
To clarify any assumptions made.

At this time we plan to have One Server  . While this may be made up of many computers it will be one server.

My post that refers to more, was done in the content of asking a hypothetical question?but people do not often read the entire post.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2002, 10:22:02 am by paxx »
-Paxx

Aruneko

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
I understood that, but...
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2002, 01:44:54 pm »
...I just want to know if the only server is going to be role-playing.

Tomaseth

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2002, 01:49:47 pm »
I don\'t think that roleplaying will be forced, and is just an option that one person can choose to do on their own.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2002, 01:50:13 pm by Tomaseth »

Kiern

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2002, 04:31:40 pm »
the full names thing was brought up a long time ago and ithnk what they said was that they would have a problem with names being too long , but maybe have a limit (which i think is annoying, but the only solution i can see)

Vengeance

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2002, 08:52:33 pm »
My thought was to allow people to choose last names after they reach a certain level.  But people will still be referred to in /tell, guilds, etc. with their first names.  Thus, first names will have to be unique.

Then we can have marriages and people can switch last names as a symbol of it, etc.

- Vengeance

Silverblade

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2002, 04:58:58 am »
Thats a good Idea about just using first names for /tell etc.
And marriages would be cool too.

Kada-El

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2002, 06:58:45 am »
Ooo I like the idea of being able to adopt common last names, maybe for special circumstances as well like blood brothers... and hopefully return to your old name if things go horribly wrong ;)

Is the plan still to allow only letters to make up a name i.e. no symbols or punctuation? Apostrophes and hyphens can be very useful *hint* *hint*

Aruneko

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2002, 12:06:57 pm »
Originally posted by Tomaseth
I don\'t think that roleplaying will be forced, and is just an option that one person can choose to do on their own.

:( But then nobody will ever do it.

paxx

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2002, 01:44:14 pm »
Originally posted by Kada-El
Ooo I like the idea of being able to adopt common last names, maybe for special circumstances as well like blood brothers... and hopefully return to your old name if things go horribly wrong ;)

Is the plan still to allow only letters to make up a name i.e. no symbols or punctuation? Apostrophes and hyphens can be very useful *hint* *hint*

Kada-El the reason for that ?restriction of symbols? is to keep the 1337 |-|  /-\\  |( () |*\\ Crap out of the naming conventions. I would almost go to an extreme and say we should give out the names and allow people to change them after completing their first Quest?they can request their ?Adult? Name. and the adult name has to be verified and approved?since it is semi manual it could take over 24 hours. But as names are disapproved we need to add those to lists, so that one person whose name was disapproved isn?t approved for another person the next week.

All in all it is a weird and complex issue that needs to be dealt with manually. Making it that much harder, or it can be done automatically and not have the flexibility that everyone wants.

On the sharing last names and such?I would like to come up with a cool way to do that. On the one hand, I like originality?If my characters name is Brathior Coldsun I will no want 500 Coldsuns running around after I accomplish a historic event in the game. But on the other hand giving people the ability to have 2 unique names is overkill.

Perhaps last names should be dependant on your guild rank and the titles your guild chose to have.

So I might have Brathior Harbinger of the Blood Walkers, and later get a promotion and become Brathior Seeker of the Blood Walkers.

However the marriage, blood brother, children thing can not work on this model.

Over all there are many options and many good ways to do this, what is the best has yet to be discussed.

-Paxx    
-Paxx

paxx

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2002, 02:00:50 pm »
On, the ?Role playing will not be forced??

I ask how do you know that? But then I ask a second question, what is Role Playing? And then why is it we won?t force it?is your idea of role playing, acting like a pansy elf prancing through the forest singing to all the animals, and then speaking to everyone in an archaic way?
Or perhaps it is dependant on how I type and tell everyone my expression, because the game is too lame to add expressions to the characters and then they expect us to pretend that we have expressions?
Or it might just be that for most of the actions you take, the people you associate with, the people you do business with, will affect the way the world reacts to you.

If you want to be a psychopath kill everything you see type character?we have a place for you?but you will not be able to be a Paladin Psyco kill everything type character?do you understand the distinction?  
-Paxx

Kada-El

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2002, 03:58:25 pm »
I completely understand the necessity for the restriction on naming convention, and completely support it (even if I do have to sacrifice my desired name ;( ), as it reinforces the roleplay atmosphere. As I\'m sure has been said before, nothing ruins the atmosphere of a virtual world more than someone called \'lick my monkey p00p toast\' crashing in to spout 1337 at you.

It will be refreshing to be a part of a game that values it\'s game world and the way people behave in it more than simply the number of people it can get to inhabit it.

P.S. Lay off the pansy elves paxx! ;)

Aruneko

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2002, 05:13:02 pm »
Originally posted by paxx
On, the ?Role playing will not be forced??

I ask how do you know that? But then I ask a second question, what is Role Playing? And then why is it we won?t force it?is your idea of role playing, acting like a pansy elf prancing through the forest singing to all the animals, and then speaking to everyone in an archaic way?
Or perhaps it is dependant on how I type and tell everyone my expression, because the game is too lame to add expressions to the characters and then they expect us to pretend that we have expressions?
Or it might just be that for most of the actions you take, the people you associate with, the people you do business with, will affect the way the world reacts to you.

If you want to be a psychopath kill everything you see type character?we have a place for you?but you will not be able to be a Paladin Psyco kill everything type character?do you understand the distinction?

I\'m sure you know what I mean when I say, \"role-playing\".  It means being your character and not being you.  If you want your character to be a pansy elf, or a psychopath, then it is.

Actually, now I agree with you.  I suppose I was being too hopeful.

Aruneko

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2002, 05:29:51 pm »
I wish I could delete my own posts when I double post...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2002, 05:31:07 pm by Aruneko »