Author Topic: Wars and bosses (great ideas)  (Read 733 times)

Malkai

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Wars and bosses (great ideas)
« on: September 08, 2002, 03:05:47 pm »
Wouldnt it be cool if there was wars in the game between players and npc\'s? Imagine you are at Yliakum at a shop buying some goods and a message is sent through out the town.

\"Scouts have informed us that the orcish army is soon to invade Yliakum. Enlist now and you will be rewarded greatly.\"

Then you and your guild enlist along with 50 or 60 others guarding the outside gates and then you see a swarm (maybe 100) of orcs heading your way. The only problem I see with this is, could the server handle this much action going on? It would be a bad ass feature in the game. And if you live through the war without dying you would become a war hero and get special items from the town or something along those lines.

The other idea I have are bosses. There should be some enemy NPCs like a Tiamat (for you DnDers) or some big huge multi headed dragon. But these bosses should be incredibly strong and impossible for even 15 high level players to kill. It would just add more fun to fight one super hard enemy that would take 20-30 people to kill.

Our Goal ----> Domination of all Nations

TheGeneral

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2002, 05:07:59 pm »
They have done this in Neocron. Once in about 20 min, this message would speak \"Attention citizens, highly dangerous criminals have been sighted inside the inner city limits\" it was really cool.
As for lag, it would be unberable. I lag like a poo when i play a 12 player WC3 map with other comps, i can bearly move my mouse, maybe i should get more ram, but that is not the point. The point is, those with low end systems would be left helpless due to the inability to move, or defend from the oncoming attacks.

P.S. i have made a post about this sometime back, referign to Leniage, and the Dark/Death knights attacking a noob knights town. But there were only 4-5 of them at any one time.

Join BISM here: BISM
Join The Calen Vakhar
NEVER YOU HEAR ME!

Princess Aelya

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2002, 05:44:12 pm »
maybe to reduce the lag you could have the orcs come in waves of 25 at a time. with a 3 minute break in between to heal and stuff. then another 25 come and so on. for a total of 100 orcs. that probly wont help the lag problem all that much but its just an idea. 100 orcs at once just seems like an awful lot.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2002, 05:45:38 pm by Princess Aelya »
We are a guild that strives for glory,we strive for power,we strive for domination.Visit us here--> Dark Empire  \"Oloth vaq\' dos!\"

Sig removed because it was to big...I\'ll put it back when I get it resized.

Malkai

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2002, 06:55:29 pm »
exactly and there hasnt really been a mmorpg with an awful lot of enemies at once has there?

Tomaseth

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2002, 06:57:16 pm »
Not really, the closest I can think of was in EverQuest when a bunch of giants rushed a city in Velious. There was only about ten of them but they were hard I guess. (I can\'t remember the exact details.) So that\'d be quite interesting to see and to participate in if there were even 20 of them coming at once.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2002, 07:05:58 pm by Tomaseth »

Barak

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2002, 09:55:10 pm »
maybe you could have a necromancer, with about 10 zombie-whatevers, but when they all die he reincarnates about 15, then 20, and so on until you kill the necromancer himself.

Vildaar

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2002, 05:31:24 pm »
Tomaseth is refering to the 10th Coldain Ring War where the giants rush Thurgadin in great divide. I was in a quite a few of these, and if i remeber correctly the giants come in waves of 30, with about something like 10 waves. This was pretty hard, but no where near impossible. Depending on the skill of the people involved and the gear, you can do it with as few as 18. Anyway, the problem with having gobs and gobs of monsters is lag. If there are gobs and gobs of monsters, then probabilty is that you would need gobs and gobs of people there too. Imagine about 50 rendered monsters, and another 50 people all in one area, they are also performing actions which would mean animations and particles, 100 objects all animated and some with spell particles would equate to lots of lag. And it could be questioned as to whether the server could even handle that.
PlaneShift  - Rules Department

Malkai

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2002, 06:50:19 pm »
You are probably right.... but just think of the day servers could handle those situations.... :rolleyes:

Fantasyfiend

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2002, 05:09:16 pm »
That sounds cool. There really isn\'t enough wars in RPG\'s. Monsters everywhere and they just wander aimlessly until someone picks a fight.

Vengeance

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2002, 02:57:37 pm »
We would like to do this, but the reason why no games do this is because the poly count gets too high when there are many characters on the screen.  Anyone who has been on a big EQ raid or sold stuff in Kelethin knows what I mean.

This does not mean we will not figure out a way to do it.  I am just explaining why it is hard.

- Vengeance

Malkai

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2002, 03:48:59 pm »
The day there is an mmorpg that can simulate some kind of war with mass amount of people and monsters then that mmorpg will probably rise to number 1. I dont care what people say about \"Oh combat doesnt matter that much.\" I believe in an mmorpg there are 3 things that are equally important:

1. A great combat system always enhances the fun of the game.

2. A way to make the game non repetitive and new every time you play it.

3. Player Interaction.