Author Topic: Books  (Read 1060 times)

Lode

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Books
« on: September 16, 2002, 06:19:36 am »
I don\'t know if this is original, probably not :p

But I\'d really like it if there were spell books and cooking books in the game

Spell books contain some combinations of words you have to pronounce (type in the console) to cast spells or to add to existing spells to upgrade them (but you still need to find better combinations or even secret words yourself).

Cooking books contain recepies for potions (but you still have to try to mix other ingredients in it to find out if that can make an even better potion).

Of course, the disadvantage is that fansites will probably put all these books on their site so you people who don\'t have the book will know them as well, but for honest people this feature can still be enjoyable.

Falcon Eyes

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Cool Idea
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2002, 07:50:14 am »
I like the typing of spells idea.  It adds another level of complexity.

Could be something like:

/sp

Once the spell is cast, you could then click on the target, or just hit enter again for yourself.  Or for projectile spells, it just fires off to where the mouse pointer is once it\'s been entered (not as much control in this method though).

As for cook books, my brothers the chief, I just writing fantasy and code (awfully fine line some days...)
~F~E~

me, i'm a thief
i'm a falling star
i'm a photograph taken
from where you are
-Sarah Slean

Golbez

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2002, 12:27:41 pm »
If they implement the typing spells idea (which many people seems to like. I never actually tried a game which had that feature) then yes, people would show the command for a very powerful spell in a page. But perhaps there are ways to avoid this. It may be possible to set limits or requirements for mages to cast that kind of spell.

For example, in order to be allowed to cast the spell, the character must have read the book. This action would unlock the spell so he is free to use it.

Falcon Eyes

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2002, 12:40:30 pm »
I like that idea.  Guilds could maintain libraries and restrict access based on character skills and guild standings.
~F~E~

me, i'm a thief
i'm a falling star
i'm a photograph taken
from where you are
-Sarah Slean

Xolon

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2002, 12:45:00 pm »
That way a library would also become usefull.

Put alot of books in it with loads of stories, history etc..
But also spell books and cook books in between them. Simple spells and menu\'s are found easily at the cook and magic section of the library, but rare spells and menu\'s might be found in old hero stories which are wrote down in old books and are somewhere standing in the library.
That way the library will become a important place to learn new things...

-xolon-

Golbez

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2002, 12:50:38 pm »
In my opinion, only the simplest spells should be found at libraries. Those that will get you started on the way of magic you choose (or ways)

Other spells perhaps could be learned by training and hard work, or in books located in distant and dangerous places. The more powerful the spell, the further and more dangerous its location is. This way, you prevent people from becoming a master wizard with only one night of studying.

Xolon

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2002, 02:18:37 pm »
i agree..

maybe it said explain that getting good spells from books wont be that easy. Or there in the book written down as one big mystery and u need to found out what it means, by searching for the answers.
An other way is reading in a book about a hidden ancient temple wich has a book lying in it. You need to find to temple then.

Anyway...the library can become a good place to start an adventure...

-Xolon-

Falcon Eyes

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2002, 02:38:32 pm »
When casting a spell (via /sp ) there should be a skill check with the chance of the spell backfiring (damaging karma, fizling, or doing HP damage).  This way, just because the user knows a spell (from memory or someone tells them), they can\'t just cast it without risk.
~F~E~

me, i'm a thief
i'm a falling star
i'm a photograph taken
from where you are
-Sarah Slean

Wormtail_

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2002, 08:40:07 pm »
The idea of books in Planeshift is very appealing to someone who really likes to read. Besides, if there\'s a library, then why not have books? I also think there should be signs on the bookshelfs to organize the books, so players won\'t be confused.(\"Stole\" that out of real life :P) Books can also tell yoo how to cure so-and-so and how to defeat some particular creature. Books should also have maps inside them, although depending on where it is found depends on where the map shows \'things.\'

Oh yeah, and if the devs agree to have books in the game, I wonder if they\'d allow players who are not on the team to write some books. :D Probably not, though. :(
You pay the same price for doing something halfway as for doing it completely. So you might as well do it completely.
-Richard Nixon

Despise the enemy and you will lose.
-Li Tien (or Dian)

Join the BISM!

Malkai

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2002, 10:38:26 pm »
hmmm if they would allow people to write books using this system which actually made books important in a game then this would add a whole new level of gameplay. books would actually be important in a video game for every character. maybe people could actually make a living as an author if they were to write books of usefullness (<--did i make that word up?).

Our Goal ----> Domination of all Nations

Xolon

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2002, 12:28:48 am »
u guys got a real good point here.

it is nice t,to see players being able to write stories legends etc. Actually it is possible. you can write your little \'book\' and send it to the dev\'s when they agree to use this idea.

I agree, that books can fill an importent part of the gameplay in planeshift. As something books where made for in the first place; knowledge....

-Xolon-

Rhisart

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2002, 07:17:43 am »
I remember a game where it made a char write a journel of the char adventures i belive the game was Earthdawn.  when i GM other games i implement the same idea.. as later on the events in  a prevous game can lead to other adventures becauseof the actions they did. also it makes it easier for the chars to remmeber something that happened four months ago in RL
Abstraction is a concept
That hasn?t fully
Developed into something solid.

Princess Aelya

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2002, 11:23:53 am »
brilliant idea. new quests resulting from the events that take place in planeshift. that will keep the game fresh and new. and there will always be something for everyone to do. :D

btw welcome to planeshift rhisart.
We are a guild that strives for glory,we strive for power,we strive for domination.Visit us here--> Dark Empire  \"Oloth vaq\' dos!\"

Sig removed because it was to big...I\'ll put it back when I get it resized.

Kiva

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2002, 02:49:18 pm »
This book thing could turn out to be something nice.. I mean, it opens up a class which I have NEVER seen, in any other game. A \"Book Scribe thingy...\" :D Could be fun to be an adventurer, traveling everywhere, and writing down your progress, rumors you hear, things you find and other fun stuff.
\"Somewhere over the rainbow...\"

Vengeance

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2002, 02:55:01 pm »
The book idea came up six months ago too and the version I liked the best was allowing players to write fanfic books in the game, and having a shop where you could \"buy\" the books and the player would get the most of the money from the sale.

This would promote fanfic, would reward the people who write good stories (and not reward the people who write dumb ones), and might even make people into little celebrities.

This will not be in the Molecular Blue release, but may be in the next version after that.

- Venge