Author Topic: Evaluating PS by votings?  (Read 1068 times)

Quantus

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Member of the Crystal Squadron
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift Yliakum
Evaluating PS by votings?
« on: July 05, 2007, 03:09:18 am »
Wouldn't it be usefull to have an own "Votings"-board below General Discussion, where players are able to vote about things  like  "Items you'd like to see"?

The difficulty will be to get quaiity based questions and results, cause we have several views of:
  • Different types of Devs
  • Different types of Players
  • People, aren't knowing what they are doing here :)
so it should (maybe) be strictly moderated with e.g.
  • setting "Reply only" to "On" by board defintion
  • Queuing vote requests in a single thread
  • Access only to higher "Post count based groups"

What is the sence of this?
The primary goal is not to answer players questions, but to give Devs a better and faster notion about what players want to have.

These are only a few ideas. On suggestions I am curious. :)

Examples for "Your opinion about":
Would you like to vote about PlaneShift's development?
Yes
No
Not sure

What does make fun here?
Education - Of Noobs
Duelling and challenging
Exploring - world of Yliakum    
Exploring - NPC    
Agility - Freeclimbing, Roofclimbing    
Guild Membership    
Guild Membership (native language)    
Want to be a GM    
OOC-Chat about RL    
Quests Solving    
Roleplay    
Roleplay- Action (eg. Guildwar)    
Roleplay- GM Events    )
Roleplay- In native language    
Roleplay- Questing    
Collecting - Rare items    
Powerskilling    
Skilling - Magic (Knowledge of Glyphs)    
Skillen-Combat    
Skillen-Crafting    
Earn Tria
Technical
Other

Will you use "Chatbubbles"?
Yes
No
Not sure
What are Chatbubbles?

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Evaluating PS by votings?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 05:32:06 am »
Can't see this as too useful to be honest. Whether or not people are going to use chatbubbles, they're going in, for example. It'd be nice if player input always counted, but usually it's more a curiosity and less feature-deciding. So personally, I'm voting No on a voting board It's not going to see much use.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Quantus

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift Yliakum
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 01:49:56 am »
A voting over “Chatbubbles” was only a very special example.

But, do I understand this however correctly? You are not interested in a representative opinion of the players? ;)

I can quite imagine that this way would give some interesting information about, whether it is worth the work and spending a lot of time on certain things to develop.
I didn't say, that the information got by voting is the one and only one, which decides the future of PS. It's just another brick in the wall.
Representative evaluation is one goal of project management. Isn't PS-development a complex project?
Aren't there any things the developers want to know, wht the player are thinking about? If "no": Why? Are there other ways of evaluating PS's success?

neko kyouran

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 01:56:59 am »
The thing is, polls don't actually make good use for fact finding.  They are very group selective and can be easily misguided by use of words for options listed as choices, or the same person voting multiple times.  Sorry, statistics class seeping through.  :)

And a question for you then.  Take a look at the wishlist area.  2600+ threads.  You consider that the devs "are not interested in a representative opinion of the players?"

Quantus

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift Yliakum
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 02:07:13 am »
The thing is, polls don't actually make good use for fact finding.  They are very group selective and can be easily misguided by use of words for options listed as choices, or the same person voting multiple times.  Sorry, statistics class seeping through.  :)

And a question for you then.  Take a look at the wishlist area.  2600+ threads.  You consider that the devs "are not interested in a representative opinion of the players?"
No, I dont think that devs are not interested in opinions :)
But wouldn't it be eaysier to collect the 2600+ threads into a few dozen votings? That's the goal! To reduce overhead and collect the gathered information into a "final" voting :)
You are right, that the "choice of words" is important. That's why I'm asked to allow voting-definition only to well choosen moderators.
To prevent multiple votings there are technical enhancements (Access only to higher "Post count based groups") to prevent this.

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 02:17:51 am »
It would be useful. Every sound mined business with a product has test boards (not just to test for bugs) that end with a questionair asking:

"Would you use this feature if implimented? <detail of feature>: 1.WOW! Absolutly!.... 10. Have you lost your marbles?

"How did you like this feature?" 1. A lot..... 10. It is horrid.

"How useful did you find this feature?" 1. Very..... 10. Could not figure out what it did.

"Could this feature be improved?" 1. No, it seems good the way it is.... 10. Burn it and start over.

"Which color do you like best for the text/sword/armor/plaster/cheese?" 1-10 color choices.

"Is this feature simple to use?" 1. Too simple.... 10. Way too complicated.

"This feature was..." 1. fun and exciting.... 10. Like watching someone watch paint dry on the 24/7 slow-motion channel.

"What shape chat bubbles do you like the best?" 1-10 pictured examples.

The "useful" questions you can ask are endless, and would provide a better and more well recived product. "We are going to do it this way because we like it, and the consumer base will just have to deal with it," is a terrible outlook on things. It is always better to find out if something does or does not suck -before- you put a lot of hard work into it. -That- is what questionairs are for.

neko kyouran

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 11:17:34 am »
Xillix has been setting up forum polls to accomplish this.  closing as issue is resolved.

Raa

• Veteran
  • Halp meh...!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 01:00:31 pm »
Neko, lock not working again...  ;D

But let me have some say in this: I find polls fun, and they tend to attract me since they ain't your normal thread, and you don't have to type out a whole response to some little question. Perhaps this is a good idea, though it's likely not to be accepted.

neko kyouran

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 01:04:00 pm »
* neko kyouran pokes the elock button thingy once more
.......... there it goes

:P