Author Topic: Old Dwarven Language  (Read 1036 times)

Bjorn

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Old Dwarven Language
« on: December 07, 2004, 05:11:50 pm »
Hi. In my leisure, I have taken some time to start an \"old\" Dwarven language (before the dwarves took up english). This is just a little project I started on to see if people would catch on and start using it. I have posted a sample here:

Origin

In the olden days, when the Klyros and Lemurs hadn?t even settled Yliakum yet, and when the Azure sun glowed so bright at noon that it could blind one with sensitive eyes, the old Dwarven language was still spoken; their old tongue, now referred to as Al?Harret, was a somewhat complicated language to master. This is a record and dictionary of that old language.

Grammar

Al?Herret had (or still has) a difficult grammar system. Their pronouns tongue twisters, their adjectives philosophic.

Plurals

Plural words are ended with either an ers, er, ie, i, ter, lom, ai, or est.
Some examples: Ahganai ?Dwarves
Qertaknie ?Friends
Hwarglers ?Heroes

Pronouns

Me (I) ? Yunai
You ? Yunag
We (us) ? Yenaiest (\"est\" indicates plural)
Them ? Jemhger

Do you think this project is off to a good start? Post your comments, suggestions and criticism here.
If you see someone going around talking about their \'+1 silk underpants\', you would take it as a joke at first and later wonder about their mental status
- ZpTyZ

Chestar

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 10:19:32 pm »
Cool, but will it have masculine and femine? (Please say no lol).
Also would we say adjectives then nouns like in English or nouns then adjectives like in Spanish?
Chestar in the game

*From the moment you are born, you are dying.

http://www.ravenguardguild.tk  or  http://www.ravenguard.50megs.com

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 12:28:11 am »
NO!  Combine the adjectives with  the nouns.  Muhahahahahahaha!

Bjorn

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 02:18:56 pm »
Hmm... Good question. I\'d like to have this a unique \"language\", so I\'ll use Under The Moon\'s suggestiong and combine them! Heeheehee...

So, if apple was pooba(which it will not be)
and yummy was hota(which it will not be), than it will sound like this: Hotapooba. (Rule: The only time an adjective comes after a noun is if the noun begins with a vowel).(another rule. If theere is an apostrapphe (\') in the word, than the adjective goes in the middle of the two words, and is seprated from the second half by an apostraphe)
Elel\'Taro(Shoe, which it most likely won\'t be)
Meley(Cool, most likely won\'t be)
Elel\'Meyley\'Taro
If you see someone going around talking about their \'+1 silk underpants\', you would take it as a joke at first and later wonder about their mental status
- ZpTyZ

Harkin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2004, 09:35:56 pm »
not another language for me to learn... arrrr.... :)

sounds cool... keep up the work :)
I am just a figment of you imagination and a byproduct of the worse accident ever... ... or so my mommy says!
Imagine your life ripped to hundreds of shreds, then think about how you just stepped in poo, welcome to my world.

-Scott

Chestar

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2004, 10:04:05 pm »
Lol and I though Spanish was comlplicated... agh.
So if Alerp were axe and hykla were big, it would be Alerphykla since it starts with a vowel?
And about the apostraphe rule, what if the noun doesn\'t start with a vowel? Still put adjective in the middle of  the word?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2004, 10:05:14 pm by Chestar »
Chestar in the game

*From the moment you are born, you are dying.

http://www.ravenguardguild.tk  or  http://www.ravenguard.50megs.com

Bjorn

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2004, 02:50:41 pm »
Originally posted by Chestar
Lol and I though Spanish was comlplicated... agh.
So if Alerp were axe and hykla were big, it would be Alerphykla since it starts with a vowel?

Correct.
Originally posted by Chestar
And about the apostraphe rule, what if the noun doesn\'t start with a vowel? Still put adjective in the middle of  the word?

Yes, you still put the adjective in the middle of the word.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 02:51:04 pm by Bjorn »
- ZpTyZ

fken

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2004, 02:55:42 pm »
a very primitive language ! If you need to speak any foreigner language, speak a useful one : sindarin for example... even Quenya is a best language...

In fact there are a lot of languages JRR Tolkin created. Even Orcs one I believe...

He has a very good imagination!

Bjorn

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2004, 03:25:47 pm »
I don\'t understand you... Are you saying it\'s a primitive language, or sinadrian is?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 03:26:18 pm by Bjorn »
- ZpTyZ

Harkin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2004, 03:38:37 pm »
spanish is messed up language, least for me(american-american) im actually taking german in school :)
I am just a figment of you imagination and a byproduct of the worse accident ever... ... or so my mommy says!
Imagine your life ripped to hundreds of shreds, then think about how you just stepped in poo, welcome to my world.

-Scott

Bjorn

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Contest
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2004, 03:41:30 pm »
Hello, folks! I have composed a list of words to get the language started, and I want to get the community\'s attention into it, and test out the language.

Rules
                                   -------

To enter, you must post here with a sentence using as much of the words listed as you can. The person who makes the most accurate, interesting and meaningful sentence will win a little banner (I know it\'s not much), saying \"I speak Al\'Harret!\"

-A maximum of two posts per person.
-Sentence must consist of atleast five words. (Can be more than one sentence)

Origin

In the olden days, when the Klyros and Lemurs hadn?t even settled Yliakum yet, and when the Azure sun glowed so bright at noon that it could blind one with sensitive eyes, the old Dwarven language was still spoken; their old tongue, now referred to as Al?Harret, was a somewhat complicated language to master. This is a record and dictionary of that old language.

Grammar

Al?Herret had (or still has) a difficult grammar system. Their pronouns tongue twisters, their adjectives philosophic.

Plurals

Plural words are ended with either an ers, er, ie, i, ter, lom, ai, or est.
Some examples: Ahganai ?Dwarves
Qertaknie ?Friends
Hwarglers ?Heroes

nouns

Me (I) ? Yunai
You ? Yunag
We (us) ? Yenaiest
Them ? Jemhger
Him (He) ? Gnart (him marked with 2 ?r?s)
Her (She) ? Harget (she marked with 2 ?r?s)
It ? Et
More pronouns coming

Grammar Rules

Adjectives are combined with nouns. An adjective comes before a noun.
Example: Meyney (boot) + Hermir (shiny) = Hermirmeyney
If the noun begins with a vowel, the operation is reversed. If the word has an apostrophe in it, the adjective goes in between the two parts of the noun.
Example: Al?Kharram (Dwarven Warrior) + Sminte (strong) = Al?Sminte?Kharram

The dwarven word for ?is? is sel. If you want to say ?The Dwarven Warrior is strong?, you would write: Al?SelSminte?Kharram (sel rests near ?sminte?, separated only with a capitalized ?S?. This rule applies to all ?apostrophe words?.)
If the word doesn?t have an apostrophe in it, ?sel? is put before the word, uncapitalized.
Example: selBalante (always capitalize a word with ?sel? at the beginning even if it is in the middle of a sentence.)

?Are? has the same properties and rules as ?sel?, except the word for ?are? is ?selai?. (?ai? indicates plural.)
Example: ?Animals are cute? would be ?selaiMelanai kute?.
?Am?, yet again, has the same properties as the other two, except a different name. Its name is ?yunaisel?. (?yunai? indicates ?I?.)
Example: ?I am a Dwarven Warrior? would be ?yunaiselYunai han Al?Kharram?. (Note that even though yunaisel is used, ?Yunai? must still follow it indicating that you are referring to yourself. Also note that ?han? stands for ?an?.)
?Were?. The Al?Harret word for ?were? is selai?taw (selai indicating plural form of ?is? which would be ?are?, and ?taw? would indicate past tense; hense were).
Example: ?The Dwarven Warriors were brave? would be ?Luh Al?Selai?tawBruv?Kharramai?.

Al?Harret still has the same grammatical symbols used in today?s modern language.

The word for ?was? is ?sel?taw?. (taw portion of word indicates past tense.)
Example: ?The Dwarven Warrior was strong? would be ?Luh Al?Sel?tawSminte?Kharram?. Very complicated, indeed?

To indicate something or someone ?has? something, the word is ?nas?. It has the same properties as the ?is? word.
Example: ?The Dwarven Warrior has strong muscles? would be ?Luh Al?Nas?Kharram Smintemoscedai?. (?Mosced? means ?muscle?, ?ai? indicates plural muscle, and ?Sminte? indicates ?strong?, so ?Smintemoscedai? would mean ?strong muscles?.)
?Had? is ?nas?taw?. (taw portion indicates past tense).
Example: ?The Dwarven Warrior had strong muscles would be? ?Luh Al?Taw?nas?Kharram smintemoscedai?.
Numbers from 1-10 are: Ona, Calat, Tor, Fawm, Fas, Seesex, Lemmo, Lemmoplus, Neento and Tonne.
Example:?The dwarven warrior once had strong muscles? would be ?Luh Al?Taw?nas?Kharram Onaai?taw smintemoscedai?. (?ai? at the end of Ona indicates plural, and ?taw? indicates past tense, hense ?Onaai?taw?).

Prepositions (Mini-section)

(Most prepositions begin with double ?l?s.)

Llem: In
Lleme: Out
Llah: Up
Llargh: Down
Llegh: Away
?He was away?: ?sel?tawGnart?Llegh?
Gus: Go
Went: gus?taw (?taw? portion indicates plural)
?He went up but fell down?: ?Gnart?Llah gus?taw?non fflah?taw?Llarh?. (?non? is but. But is always connected to a word. It is connected to a word with an apostrophe).
?Fllah? is fall, ?Fllah?taw? is ?fell?. (taw portion indicates past tense).
?Gudentarg? means to walk, ?Gudentargen? means to run.
Example: ?He ran up? would be ?Gnart?Llah gudentargen?.
Llarmh means ?to?.
Example: He ran up to him? would be ?Gnart?Llah gudentargen?Llarmh Gnarrt?.
(A verb is always connected to a noun UNLESS a preposition is in the sntence. A preposition is connected to a noun in the same way a verb is; an apostrophe separating the noun and the preposition/verb, and the preposition/verb capitalized. (If a preposition is in a sentence, the verb is the next word from the noun/prepostition connection)).

More Grammar

Bron means ?brave?.
Axxe means ?axe?.
Example: ?The Dwarven warrior had an axe? would be ?Luh Al?Nas?tawBron?Kharram alle axxe?. (?al? means ?a?, so ?alle? would mean ?an?.)
Llal means ?after?. (preposition).
Llemrgh means ?that?. (preposition)
Example: ?The Dwarven Warrior has that big axe? would be ?Luh Al?Nas?Kharram?Llemrgh axxelag?. (?lag? is big. The noun comes before the adjective in this because ?axxe? starts with a vowel.)
An adverb has the same properties as an adjective.
Example: ?Fast run? would be ?Mentaegudentargen?. (?mentae? means fast.)
?He ran fast? would be ?Gnart?Mentae?Gudentargen. (Notice how the adverb goes in the middle of a word separated with an apostrophe?)

So, that should be all the grammar information you need to start speaking ?Al?Harret?. Please contact me if I left something out.

Dictionary

(All phrases are common to Dwarven)

A: Al (Preposition)
An: Alle (Preposition)
Am: Yunaisel (Preposition)
Are: Selai (Preposition)
Dwarven Tongue: Al?Harret (Noun)
Dwarven Warrior: Al?Kharram (Noun)
Fall: Fllah (Preposition)
Fell: Fllah?taw (Prepotsition)
Walk: Gudentarg (Verb)
Run: Gudentargen (Verb)
Up: Llah (Preposition)
Down: Llargh (Preposition)
Away: Llegh (Preposition)
In: Llem (Preposition)
Out: Lleme (Preposition)
Go: Gus (Preposition, Verb)
Went: Gus?taw
Brave: Brov (Adjective, Adverb)
Animal: Melanai (Noun)
Cute: Kute (Adjective, Adverb)
Boot: Meyney (Noun)
Shiny: Hermir (Adjective)
Shone: Hermey?taw (Verb)
Shine: Hermey (Verb)
Many: Fo?Mardiano (Preposition)
Little: (Small: Til) (Not many: Fo?Mardiano?non) (Adjective, Preposition)
Tree: Kalahg (Noun)
Nice: Mnagh (Adjective, Adverb)
Hit: Klash (Verb)
Help: Ayah (Preposition, Verb)
Hard: Rhok (Adjective, Adverb)
Obvious: Olingale (Preposition)
Soft: Rhok?non (Adjective, Adverb)
Song: Kinday (Noun)
Good: Mar?Ghatalat (Adjective, Adverb)
Nice: Mar?Ghalatinian (Adjective)
Bad: Mar?Ghatalat?non (Adjective)
Evil: Mar?Ghalatat?var
Very: Var (Preposition)
Cloud: Shrud (Noun)
Clouded: Shrud?Mar (Verb, Adjective)
Many: Fo?Mardiano
Hide: Hel?Kramtar
Thief: Kalantat
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 03:49:10 pm by Bjorn »
- ZpTyZ

fken

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2004, 06:06:47 pm »
Originally posted by Bjorn
I don\'t understand you... Are you saying it\'s a primitive language, or sinadrian is?

Are you really wondering if I\'m saying that\'s dwarves language or elves language which is primitive ?
I\'m a Dermorian I\'ll never say anything bad upon Sindarin or Quenya !!! Eh I was answering to the title of the subject !

This is dwarves one which is primitive !

Bjorn

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2004, 06:11:49 pm »
Oh, ok... Now I understand.
Anyone got any submitions for the contest yet?
- ZpTyZ