Author Topic: Response to Poliero's arrogant flame  (Read 5296 times)

Attersson

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Response to Poliero's arrogant flame
« on: August 03, 2007, 02:10:08 pm »
On the 7th of Novari, a mindcrafter by the name of Clor Poliero held a very ignorant speech in the chantry of the Bright Compound of the Academy, southeast of Hydlaa. As, today, ignorant speeches pop out as numerous as the weed in the forest, there was no reason to respond to it. I can't explain otherwise the numerous booklets entitled "Poliero's speech to Healers and Mindcrafters" that can be found around, than supposing that he has since had them printed privately. Unfortunately, this speech received some small and well undeserved attention in academic circles. Let us put his misconceptions to their final rest.

Poliero's speech began with an only occasionally factual accounting of famous magicians, from Walr Rinzu, Fertedian Dalko's personal illusionist, to Narth Teder, the famous healer who saved the second level from the grey pestilence. His intent was to show that where it matters, a Mindcrafter relies on the Azure Way, not on the Blue Way, which supposedly is an Illusionist's particular forte (for the divinatory spells). Similarily -- he says -- a Healer does not rely on the Blue Way but on Crystal Way. Allow me first to dispute these so-called "historical" facts.

First of all, Poliero rather pathetically includes Walr Rinzu in his list of "underachieving" mindcrafters. Warl Rinzu was not a mindcrafter of Yliakum -- he was simply an illusionist in the employ of Fertedian Dalko, the worst ruler Yliakum has ever had, thus which spells he cast in the various battles he quoted, are irrelevant, not to say they are only unsupported rumors. Besides, to use an insane traitor as example of rational behavior is an untenable position. What would Poliero prefer? That Walr Rinzu used the Azure Way to destroy Yliakum by a more "traditional" means? That his dire mind-rotting illusions were yet cast in a gracious and magistrale way?

Besides, that's beyond the point. Rinzu did not summon at all, or create, the megaras that crashed into the crystal, by spells of Dark and Brown Ways as Poliero alleges. The truth is that, while a traitor he was, at least as much as his master, we know that, for too many reasons, it was in his interests to keep Dalko alive. Just consider he was his magnate and a good excuse to cover his back for all the magical experiments and atrocities he committed. For the more, Poliero doesn't explain why Walr Rinzu was executed by the population, after Dalko's assassination. Why should they kill him if he helped them? The answer is they knew he was a traitor like Octarch Dalko. Poliero belives the whole point is about the megaras... -- like we cared about this insignificant detail -- we don't know where the megaras came from, but we know for sure they were not a magical conjuration but just authentic megaras hypnotized by the means of Azure Way spells. Rinzu did not use any other way but Azure.

Poliero calls Teder "an accomplished Healer" but not "a powerful student of the Blue Way". This time I congratulate Poliero on correctly identifying a Yliakum Healer, but there are many written examples of Teder's skill in the Blue Way, which is very important a mean for healing too! The fact he is famous for his healing arts doesn't mean that all he knew was the Crystal Way. The Hydlaa librarian, Jayose, for example, wrote extensively about Teder casting the Soul Twist on the tefusangs, making their strength and speed useless by freezing them istantly. The conjurer who commanded those creatures, at that point, quickly fled. What is this, but an impressive example of the Blue Way?

Kerwist was not a Healer from the Academy, but an independent traveller and scholar, to begin with. Let alone the other "facts" he conveniently accounted.

As the basis of his argument, Poliero uses his misrepresentation of history. Even if he had found three excellent examples from history of magicians casting spells... outside their way... — and he didn't! — he would only have anecdotal evidence, which isn't enough to support an argument. I could easily find three or many more examples of illusionists casting healing spells, or healers teleporting. Or - what can I say...- builders cooking their meals even if they are not cooks? There is a time and a place for everything.

Poliero's argument, built on this shaky ground, is that the Blue way is not a true way. He calls it "weak and insignificant" as an avenue of study, and its students inept, with a false sense of calm and self control while they are just retarded. How can one respond to this? Someone who knows absolutely nothing about casting a spell of the Blue Way criticizing the Way for being too simple? Summarizing the Blue Way as learning how to do a "few tricks of everything",  to "create light illusions" and to do "weather forecasts" is clearly absurd, and he expounds on his ignorance by listing all the complicated factors studied in his own Azure Way.

Allow me in response to list the factors studied in the Blue Way. The Blue Way is all about purification, so, more than in any other Way, requires a clear mind. While the means of delivering damage are not as powerful and simple as those of the Red Way, which bases exclusively on the strength of the element Fire, in the Blue Way the more gentle element Water has to be used in a much more intelligent way if meant to produce really useful effects. The means of delivering the spell itself, infact, depends on the form of the element water, wether vapor, ice, liquid or used in conjunction with other elements (each with advantages and limits); wether cast at touch, at a range, in stripes, in circles; wether targets the ground, the enemy, the caster itself or is set as a trap to release it's power in a second moment: they are all factors that matter if you wish to produce certain effects or others. Damage is possible in the form of wounding with cones of sharp ice or by other means, like freezing the opponent at all. It may seem the Blue Way requires an excessive amount of redundant thinking and hassle, but its potentials are not inferior than any other school. Just consider that skilled Blue magicians can raise the temperature of the water present in the body, boiling the opponent alive almost effortlessly. Through empathy with Nature, the divination spells are focused on the whole dimension Time, not just future, but past, present and future all together. The understanding of those principles is not banal and requires months if not years of attuning to the Water and steady mind. Blue Way requires quick and analytical thought: what are the possible obstacles and how may they be assailed? What environmental factors must be taken into consideration? Water alone doesn't do as much as water combined with the envornment. Poliero suggests that the Blue Way is shallow and can't be subtle. Per contro I can say that, even if the Azure Way deals with mindcrafting, this doesn't mean it has to be subtle, see for example the bold curses that fall under the mantle of that Way, that recklessly disorder and affect the victims in a way bolder than the Dark Way. The contrary can be said about Blue Way, which grace, even for material and dirty affairs, is always kept in mind by its practitioners as fundament of the Way. The Blue incantations for even the most terrible spells are mistaken by those ignorant in the way as sweet chants and exquisites dances.

The Azure Way and the Crystal Way are two distinct and separate entities from the Blue Way, and Poliero's argument that they should be merged into one is patently ludicrous. He insists — again, a man who knows nothing about the Blue Way, is the one insisting this — that "divination" is part of the mindcrafting, broader art dealt with by the spells of the Azure Way. Similarily he insists that "healing diseases", domain of the Blue Way, is only a subgroup of "healing", specialty of the Crystal Way. The implication is that Life Infusion, to list a spell of Crystal, is a close cousin of Purify Blood, a spell of Blue. It would make as much sense to say that the Azure Way, being all about the influencing of mind, is of no use because the Dark Way exists, which practitioners learnt to disable others' minds at all, at a distance and so Azure Way is part of the Dark Way, as a tool in their hands.

Even if Poliero said this, I would have invited him to go on and tell them at the Dark Compound across the road. After all they were responsible for the grey pestilence he accused in his speech and a Weakness spell couldn't do much harm in his head, considering its current status.

It certainly isn't a coincidence that a "master" of the Azure Way -- or shall I say a kid? -- cast this attack on the Blue Way. The color Azure is, infact, just a light version of Blue and he is well jealous of the vivacity of the color that he lacks and craves.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 05:42:10 am by Attersson »

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
Re: Response to Poliero's arrogant flame
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 06:26:44 pm »
I just found this for the first time. I love it! We need more things like this. I demand more of this stuff!
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Phinehas

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 03:33:38 pm »
I know nothing of this matter other than what you, yourself have said, so I am hesitant to proffer remarks, but I'll hazard two, anyway. If your relation of what this Clor Poliero has said is accurate, then he is, indeed, a fool. No Way is more, or less, powerful and useful than any of the others, except in the ability or inability of the manipulator of the Way. A Master of the Crystal Way defeating a student of the Red Way does not prove anything other than that the student is less apt in his ability to control the Way he has chosen to study than the Master. No Way is superior to any of the others.

My second comment comes in line with my first. Beware that you, while justly defending the Blue Way and portraying it's true beauty and power, do not belittle any of the other ways... You make some comments about the Azure Way that are strongly suspect of making you into exactly the same sort of fool that you so violently denounce. No true wizard speaks of things he does not understand, and no true wizard thinks he understands everything.

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 04:06:44 pm »
Is this.. the return?
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Phinehas

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 01:00:25 pm »
No, but it might lead to it. Don't get your hopes up, though... My general frustration with the game and the dead-end settings is still very much alive.

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 01:16:04 pm »
Mixed blessings then. Stick around the forums at least for a while. I miss the amusement.

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 04:20:58 pm »
Hello Phinehas.

Hey, we could get some of this stuff ourselves. Parallo, quickly! Devise an anti-anti-Imperialist essay.

This is very good work indeed. Where's the bloke who typed it?
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 04:27:35 pm »
I need some anti-Imperialist essays first but we don't want to encourage that :P

The guy vanished methinks.

Phinehas

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 10:41:18 pm »
Anti-imperialist essays? I believe I could supply a great deal of material on the subject. :P Problem is, they couldn't come from Phinehas, since he is too fond of Sangwa to denounce his organization publicly.

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 10:58:55 pm »
Uh-oh. Going head to head with Phinehas on politics isn't something I had planned on. I figured it would just be the regular crowd of silly anti-Imperialists that see the word dark and freak out. I can handle them.

Attersson

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 02:37:02 am »
My greetings to the dearest who replied with their comments.
Yesterday before slumber took me over and bent me to bed, a bard from the North managed to mutter a sentence, whispering that my "thread" had gotten attention. As I am no tailor (despite my occasional embroideries), he left more accurate a note, specifying that's a thread used to weave speeches, not cloth. Quite early slumber had struck, thus quite early I awoke and, first thing in the morning, I just found this note.
The kind words of Parallo come as a blessing. I admit I'd given up, noone being interested at all in my words, either for laziness to begin to read or for incompatible taste. I take note that, at least, prose is liked.

To the deepest remark Phinehas arose, I wish to pounder that "superiority" is no posit of the magical theory (due to the impossibility to compare two objects which are simply unique), yet the fact stays that endless potentialities are seen, where the "how" to achieve them is just a way. So Ways differ in the method to approach and tap into unlimited potential. Ways often show the personality of the practitioner as, for example, blacksmith have more "physical" an approach to life, thus they'll find themselves more at ease with the Red Way, which purport is the conjuration of sheer termical energy. It's often taken for granted that doing what one prefers and likes allows better results than performing what one disfavours or hates. Accepting the former statement allows to understand my point of view on this subject, which surely differs from those individuals who expound their comparisons, banalizing Ways into numbers to be confronted.
If however you take into account than anything in life -magic or not- is better performed by the use of intelligence (you correctly call "fool" the lack thereof), then you'd agree that the Ways of magic... or the Ways of life that discourage the use of such intelligence, may tend, depending on the practitioner, to achieve less, compared to Ways which favour that aspect.
It is my belief and that of the practitioners of the Blue Way (which isn't my favourite Way, despite what one could infer), that Blue Way assumes the use of Intelligence as intrinsic. Think what "damage" a thrown glass of water would do. Thus the Blue practitioners are constantly forced into brainstorming and this, in the long run, tends to be the winning approach.
With this in mind, I'd be glad if you joined the Way to try and verify if what I said may be right or wrong for you (if you haven't already done so).
Another Way incentered on the use of Intelligence is the Brown Way. However the earthen nature of such a way drastically clashes with Intelligence, which trascends from Earth. Infact you may think "sky" as mind, earth as body (where my usage of the term "Sky" means the vastity above us and what may be beyond).

As for Sangwa of Thunder (Note: ask your sibling for the meaning of this epithet, I will say no more), while I thank for the courtesy taken into responding, I firmly wish to pinpoint that Fertedian Dalko (see Planeshift Settings) is the classical example of bad politics made by historicians and literates, reason for you fail to classify my speech as anti-Imperialist. However from the Thunder, such a comment comes acceptable, reason for I'm happy for your concern. Parallo should not feel obliged to take the challenge to respond to anything. Instead, I accept the request to write more prose.

Phinehas

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 02:30:59 pm »
I will simply take the time to say this... beware to whom you presume to teach the Ways of magic. It might show you in rather a bad light, despite all your amusingly and unnecessarily prosaic way of expressing yourself.

Attersson

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 06:19:55 pm »
I know nothing of this matter other than what you, yourself have said, so I am hesitant to proffer remarks, but I'll hazard two, anyway. [...]

I apology for my "hazarded" attempt to shed light on my thoughts. The mistake consisted in mistaking your reply for a demand of explaination. I actually ended up in lecturing an enemy, while convinced to please a new friend.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 06:38:39 pm by Attersson »

Phinehas

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 08:01:32 pm »
It is not your explanation that I question... It is your understanding.

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2007, 10:44:31 am »
I am loving this. How about a cast-off. Last wizard standing!