Author Topic: An Idea for an event... A Music Festival.  (Read 429 times)

potare

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Potare the great
    • View Profile
An Idea for an event... A Music Festival.
« on: December 05, 2011, 03:40:31 am »
Well my idea is to have a music festival for an event. With the new abilities to make music and play music will bring up some bands and I think a music event should help get their music out.
The festival will last for a day (real time) preferably on the weekend. I suggest a day because so everyone will have a chance to live the experience of planeshifts very own music festival.
Comment your ideas here or contact me in game.
My name ingame is Potare.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: An Idea for an event... A Music Festival.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 04:15:09 am »
Illysia's Masquerade Ball will be a nice test for such a festival.

Check the event calendar if there are any developer suggested holidays which could fit (but you may have to go back in the calendar several months, it was not updated regularly for the future).

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 06:48:19 am »
Illysia's Masquerade Ball will be a nice test for such a festival.
Not so sure about that. It might be a nice test for how many people are interested in such an event at all...but the Masquerade Ball won't focus solely on music so I think an event putting the main focus on musicians is a good idea. Also from the sound of it this is more about the new music mechanics in game, again something I don't really care about for the Masquerade Ball.

In general...don't waste time with asking what others think about your idea. Just do it. Give them the chance to comment on what you plan then adjust to the comments but don't rely only on their suggestions. This puts you too easily in the situation that you get a lot of good suggestions but no people willing to help working those out..and then end up with a disappointed crowd because you had to ignore so many of the suggested ideas. As a rule of thumb for the Den events we always first tried to make the artists happy..meaning to follow their suggestion and wishes. After all they are the one putting work in such an event. The audience is only secondary.

Find someone you trust to help you with the event. Seriously...this is very important. Doing the main organization of an event alone is a horror...two people are a lot better there.

And one whole day for the music festival is very long (yes, I know...but I also said the masquerade ball is way too long just was overruled ;)). I understand why you want a whole day but this also means there will be long periods of nothing happening at all. Maybe it would be better to do four smaller events on the same day, each an hour long. This way it should be still possible to have at least one of those events accessible from every timezone but also can make sure there are some musicians who actually play something.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 08:07:49 am »
Hydlaastock? Ojastock? Gugstock?  :p

Seriously, this sounds like a great idea. Immediately, "Woodstock" came to mind. ( Though I wasn't around for it )

Jeez... I wonder what a day or weekend of peace, love and trippy mushrooms might do for planeshift!?

Catlemur

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Death or Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 08:48:57 am »
Once more I admire your superior smartitude.
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=40329.0

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 12:23:59 pm »
Aiwe is right, you'll need to do most of the planning ahead of time and then ask people for input afterwards. Decide the basic structure of when, how, and where you want to do your event and then look for performers.

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 03:38:23 pm »
I'd suggest holding "auditions" for the festival...certainly wouldn't want to listen to anyone that plays the way my characters do, the music skill having just been implemented. xD
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 05:44:09 pm »
Unfortunately current music system requires tons of grinding to sound decent. Unless you want your guests to come with ear plugs, making a festival is probably too premature (wait until someone will get to 100+ in musical instruments). Also, a feature to synchronize multiple players is missing yet, with a group command to start playing in sync. Therefore making a band is too difficult in practice (we had a lot of fun making it with 2 people, and it wasn't easy at all to start in sync. Making it with more people will be simply impossible without some system provided mechanism with some special group command).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 05:47:00 pm by Gilrond »

Sadie

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 02:54:38 pm »
Perhaps make it a Spring type festival, give us time to 'banish' sour notes.. ?

Love the idea....

Sanrai  :sorcerer:
my name is Sanrai ;)

potare

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Potare the great
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 03:07:50 am »
ok I'm planning this event in June. Enough time for people to get enough skills to entertain a large group of people.

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 12:41:58 am »
Gugstock! Gugsock? Far out I see gemmas...
"RR is a PieSexual" ~ Monala