Author Topic: Food  (Read 2025 times)

David_HD

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Food
« on: September 10, 2002, 07:44:53 am »
Okay, this isn\'t so much a wish, as a question and poll :P
Are there any plans for food to be incorporated in any way? I\'m curious what plans the devs have regarding this, and what everyone elses oppinions are, since I\'m probably going to get those anyway :P

Keldorn

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2002, 10:19:10 am »
Well, i dunno if they are going to implement food, but if they are they should make sure that you really need it. Like if you don\'t eat regularly you become an easier target, and your reflexes become slower or something.
I don\'t think that you should be able to die of starvation. In my opinion that would be pushing the realism to far. i could be wrong though.

btw, can you gain weight? Become a real fat ass?  :)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2002, 10:22:14 am by Keldorn »
m.vanes

Princess Aelya

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2002, 03:32:28 pm »
or if you dont eat at all, you just whither away to a toothpick? :P
We are a guild that strives for glory,we strive for power,we strive for domination.Visit us here--> Dark Empire  \"Oloth vaq\' dos!\"

Sig removed because it was to big...I\'ll put it back when I get it resized.

Kiern

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2002, 04:49:02 pm »
I think food will pretty much be just like any other rpg, there isnt very many ways to change it, as for the effects the food makes on you maybe instead of hurting (lowering skills) you it helps you.....like make it easier to gain points, so for those that are not fortunate to come by food on a regular basis do not lose some skills

EDIT: unless you wanna chop some animal up and cook it over a fire  8o  :P
« Last Edit: September 10, 2002, 04:50:08 pm by Kiern »

Vengeance

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2002, 11:47:27 pm »
As I understand it, food will essentially be used as buffs in the game, and different foods will be for different buffs, so be sure to eat a balanced diet!  ;-)

This will also play into the trade skills, so that the uber baker player will be able to bake super-muffins which are awesome buffs, and hence will a) be able to make a living, and b) be in demand to be members of guilds.

(Insert normal caveats about how this is all just under discussion and may change at any time here.)

- Vengeance

Xandria

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
What's a buff?
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2002, 07:42:44 pm »
I don\'t get it, what\'s a buff?  Thank you, whoever answers my question :)

How I set my timezone:

ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/Antarctica/Davis /etc/localtime

FyreBlade

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2002, 08:27:05 pm »
ok, i\'m gonna try to post without making a fool of myself, which i have done in all my last posts. and i bet i\'m gonna fail miserably. anyhow, i am pretty sure buffs are things that give u a boost in some way. (i.e. raise health, raise mana, make u have 50% fire resistance for 6 rounds, etc.) but i\'m not completely sure if i\'m right in this situation. in baldur\'s gate, i figure the potions are the equivalents of the buffs they\'re talking about. but like i said before, i\'m not sure about any of this.

ChathVelve

Jal Khaless Zhan Waela. Oloth Zhan Tuth Abbil Lueth Ogglin. Khaless Nau Uss Mzild Taga Dosstan. Oloth plynn dos!

Vildaar

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2002, 09:37:27 pm »
Buff is a term that stems from MMORPGs to mean stat booster, it is an item or spell that will increase your stats temporarily for a set amount of time.
PlaneShift  - Rules Department

Xandria

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2002, 11:47:39 pm »
That sounds pretty cool, thanks!

How I set my timezone:

ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/Antarctica/Davis /etc/localtime

Barak

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2002, 05:29:02 pm »
Could you poison food or feed it to your pet? The cooking animals sounds like a really cool idea.

Bytes cost Bandwidth.

Princess Aelya

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2002, 06:55:09 pm »
poisoning food. hehe thats a delightfully wicked idea :))
We are a guild that strives for glory,we strive for power,we strive for domination.Visit us here--> Dark Empire  \"Oloth vaq\' dos!\"

Aztec_Brave

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2002, 05:05:09 pm »
Ok. I\'m kinda new to this, So I\'m going to try to put through my idea without making an idiot of myself.

Basicly my idea is to have 2 types of food (When I say food I also mean drink). Hunger (or thurst) quelling food that you need to eat in order to survive. and buff food.

Hunger food: Your regular meat bred, veggies, seaweed etc. you eat it to survive, if you don\'t get enough than you will starve and die. You could also have a system where by you tire faster if your hungry, or have a higher morale when your fed. Examples: Roast chicken, fried fish, vegetable soup, seaweed stew, bread, water, ale, wine.

Buff food: Special stuff that gives you various buffs. Won\'t quell your hunger, but it sure can give you the edge over that great big goblin ahead of you. The size of the buff is determined by the. Examples: Seaweed ale (breath under water), rock cakes (boosts your armour), Gemstone pie (infravision). Note: I\'ve basicly named some crazy stuff out of the top of my head, don\'t take the names too seriously.

Princess Aelya

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2002, 05:12:23 pm »
i think those are cool names. very original. how bout angel food cake, which raises the streanth of azure magic. or maybe an upside down cake, which lets you walk on ceilings lol

Wormtail_

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2002, 05:17:46 pm »
Well, in my opinion, I think there shouldn\'t be food to quench your thirst or hunger, because getting the food to eat would be \'interesting\' because people will be rushing all over the place just to get a bite to eat. Also, the money needed to get the food easily won\'t exactly come easily. Only the farmers and chiefs/cooks will get a \'free food.\' However, if the hunger meter drains extremely slowly, then I\'ll probably change my mind.

I agree with the \'buffing up\' food idea, although I think there should also be \'bad food\' that does negative effects on you.  :P

Just my opinion.
You pay the same price for doing something halfway as for doing it completely. So you might as well do it completely.
-Richard Nixon

Despise the enemy and you will lose.
-Li Tien (or Dian)

Join the BISM!

Aztec_Brave

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2002, 05:44:02 pm »
In real life you have to work for food. Maybe you\'d get some food to get you stared, so that you wouldn\'t starve, and you\'d be we fed when you entered. After say, 3 days you\'d run out and would start getting hungry. I think that food is often overlooked. For example in Ultima you had to eat like 1 a month. It makes cooks absolutely useless.