Author Topic: Food  (Read 2024 times)

Wormtail_

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2002, 06:06:50 pm »
Yes, but we need to look at the fact that this is a game... And if we are going to have food, then we should at least have a \'timer\' thing to show how much time has passed, and a \'hunger meter\' to show how hungry your character is. Anyways, the cooks could cook some \'buff\' food by \'enchanting\' it. I agree with you on the \'3 days you starve\' though, although it depends how long a day is. One more thing... since this is a game, who would have fun running around trying to get something to eat? I wouldn\'t.

And the time meter is there for how much time has passed since you started playing, and you could calculate how much time left until you die from starvation.

One more thing... :P  if you are very hungry, are you allowed to become a cannibal? :P
« Last Edit: September 14, 2002, 06:13:29 pm by Wormtail_ »
You pay the same price for doing something halfway as for doing it completely. So you might as well do it completely.
-Richard Nixon

Despise the enemy and you will lose.
-Li Tien (or Dian)

Join the BISM!

Barak

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2002, 09:51:41 pm »
Woah. I think some people have spent maybe too much time away from civilization. I really don\'t think there should be \"needed\" food at all. Long trips, or hunting in desolate wastelands would be nearly impossible. The game doesn\'t have to be that realistic, so it would take time and money away from questing, but then the siege tactic would be really intresting if they did have it.

Bytes cost Bandwidth.

Aztec_Brave

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2002, 02:04:45 pm »
If you go on a long journey you should take food with you, you cheapskate!

Fantasyfiend

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2002, 05:31:33 pm »
I like the idea of buff foods. And on the subject of obsolete cooks and food in Ultima. I think that exprienced cooks can make foods you can\'t normally buy. For example, In Ultima, if there\'s a wedding, the only cake you can buy is that puny one person feeder. But if you were a skilled cook you could mak like a customizable wedding cake, and it could have about 150 eat charges (Feeds about 150 people), eating and drinking in RPG\'s is usually more of a social thing for me.

Barak

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2002, 05:50:25 pm »
WHATTHEFRIGGINJAGOOZABLIISTICKISTSKIIKILJJNJ.KAJGGVB!!!!!! This is fantasy gaming!!! Combat!!!! Not weddings and expireinced cooks andcake!!! Whatasec...cake? Well that changes everything!! mmmmm...caaaaaake.

Princess Aelya

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2002, 08:18:01 pm »
in a world of fantasy and imagination, anything is possible.
We are a guild that strives for glory,we strive for power,we strive for domination.Visit us here--> Dark Empire  \"Oloth vaq\' dos!\"

Sig removed because it was to big...I\'ll put it back when I get it resized.

Zig

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2002, 11:14:33 pm »
i dont really like the idea of a hunger bar, it just sounds dumb, the food giveing certain buffs sounds like a better one, also maybe there should be a stamana bar instead for those of you that want a food bar, doing physical type things like running swiming and combat would drain on it and it would go back up the same way that mana does but it would affect youre overall physical performance, if the bar gets empty when you attack your hits would only do a small amount of damage due to your fatigued state, youre endurance stats would detemin how much stamina you had, its could also be used for job activities if you were a that require a good bit of endurance to keep up such as metal working or other craft type skills like that.
~ZiG~?

Fantasyfiend

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2002, 02:03:27 am »
Okay that sounds pretty cool. But I still think professions like cook and seamstress are still seriously overlooked in RP games.

Wormtail_

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2002, 09:47:51 am »
I agree with a stamina bar. Food should boost stamina when you eat it, while resting does, too, although food will restore your stamina faster. In Wizardry 8(demo  :P ), what they did was walking doesn\'t take up much stamina, but running drains it quickly. Walking was a way of restoring stamina, not as quickly as resting, but still, since your just walking and not putting effort into it, you regain stamina. In Wizardry 8, at least. Overall, I kind of agree with the stamina bar. It is realistic, yet it doesn\'t kill you outright.
You pay the same price for doing something halfway as for doing it completely. So you might as well do it completely.
-Richard Nixon

Despise the enemy and you will lose.
-Li Tien (or Dian)

Join the BISM!

Barak

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2002, 11:34:36 am »
Originally posted by Fantasyfiend
Okay that sounds pretty cool. But I still think professions like cook and seamstress are still seriously overlooked in RP games.

If you think about it, would you rather be slaying dragons or doing crochet? Maybe, everyone\'s just getting a little carried away. I wouldn\'t mind those proffessions for NPCs but a very very few players would be intrested in them.

Sorry, if I\'m being a bit of a jerk.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2002, 11:35:11 am by Barak »

Kiern

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2002, 11:39:59 am »
Originally posted by Barak

If you think about it, would you rather be slaying dragons or doing crochet? Maybe, everyone\'s just getting a little carried away. I wouldn\'t mind those proffessions for NPCs but a very very few players would be intrested in them.

actually, i think plenty of players will be interested in them....i get tired of doing the same things in every rpg there is, well on those you dont pay monthly fees i mean, (fighting/running errands) and would rather like to be able to do something different

of course, im not JUST going to be doing stuff like that  :P
« Last Edit: September 21, 2002, 11:44:17 am by Kiern »

David_HD

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2002, 12:53:59 pm »
I think there should be a hunger level, though, as in reality, it would take several weeks to actually kill you. Long before that it would start having other effects. For instance, your stamina would take longer to regenerate the hungrier you are. Of course, if you\'ve just stuffed yourself you\'re not going to be doing much, either, so that should be accounted for, too. There should be one point where your stamina regenerates the fastest, and you eat to stay near there, like in reality. Food should be easy to come by, better food harder.  As for the possability of buffs and such, I think that it should be a longer term bonus... maybe it\'d effect you for the day or something, after taking a little while to set in. Even a moderately skilled cook should be able to add a little something to the food, and the better the cook, the bigger the bonus.
What I mean by longer term is that you shouldn\'t want to eat a cake right before jumping into combat or anything. It shouldn\'t be a perminent improvement to your character, either.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2002, 12:55:38 pm by David_HD »

Fantasyfiend

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2002, 02:16:22 am »
Your not being a jerk, I see your point. But isn\'t kind of pointless letting characteres be cooks and stuff only to make things you can buy cheap. What would make these skills sweet is if you hit a certain level you could start customizing what you make. Like instead of \"Roast Beef\", a cook could makee something cool like \"Liver, fava beans, and a nice Kianti\", or weave a cloak of wraith garb or maybe even something like a straight jacket that looks like normal clothes until your enemy puts them on, and he can\'t move or attack!

Otherwise I would rather be bringing dragons down with big honkin weapons, but still RP Role Playing means that you don\'t have to be a warrior, you could be a blood thirsty Betty Crocker if you wanted.

David_HD

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2002, 03:31:09 am »
Well, just because a buff doesn\'t take effect immediately doesn\'t mean it\'s not powerfull. I just think it would be silly to make it a good strategy to stuff yourself immediately before going into combat. Eat a large meal the night before, not 5 minutes before...

Rhisart

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Food
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2002, 06:56:52 am »
Food and water generally good to keep yourself fit and healthy, generally it takes a certain amout of  nutrition value to keep   you at peek if you do things strenous you need more nutritional  value. the idea of food being a bufer is good though i think you should have food for generall purposes too.
Abstraction is a concept
That hasn?t fully
Developed into something solid.