(No subject)
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2002, 07:23:51 am »
yes food should be necessary to survive

David_HD

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2002, 12:06:38 pm »
I just realized that making food necessary and good food a buff will make cooks significantly better, and I think a lot more playable. Even at low levels they\'ll be valuable, though if we work the hunger thing right (ie it doesn\'t kill you TOO fast) they shouldn\'t be unbalanced. Having to truck back to town for food should be roughly equivilent to having to truck back to town for healing. If you have a cook with you, and someone who can hunt, it shouldn\'t be necissary, so cooks will prove nearly as usefull as healers even at low (skill) levels.

Aruneko

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2002, 06:16:07 pm »
IF this idea was to be implemented, you should ONLY be able to buy food from players, not NPCs.

David_HD

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2002, 09:30:30 pm »
Originally posted by Aruneko
IF this idea was to be implemented, you should ONLY be able to buy food from players, not NPCs.

Nah, you should be able to buy some basic food from the local grocery store or tavern, but only players would accompany you out into the wilderness and cook the deer you kill. Just like you could go into town and pay an NPC healer to heal you, but it\'d be far more usefull to have a PC healer in your party.

Fantasyfiend

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2002, 01:07:44 am »
David has a good point. My thing is they make dragon slaying so cool, and neglect homemaking skills so anyone would rather be a warrior. Sewing is almost the same as blacksmithy, shoudn\'t it be treated as a relevant skill? You could make your own unique guild outfits, family crests, flags. Almost like Animal Crossing......don\'t laugh.

Aravi

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2002, 02:02:56 am »
Having more than just combat gives the game more depth.

Weddings in particular add a whole new dimension to the roleplaying aspect of the game.

Do you just want to go out and fight things or do you want to be in a fantasy realm complete with its own economic, political and social aspects, a realm to live out your dreams in.

David_HD

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2002, 03:16:35 am »
Should you or shouldn\'t you have to buy clothes? If not, it makes seamstresses kinda useless... but it might just be annoying.

Tearlach t'an Ailech fin Leros

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2002, 09:37:57 am »
You should be able to buy clothes (clothes that are not tailored for you would be hindering in combat) and you should start with rags or something like that.
Different clothes would help you blend in in different parts of society, if you walked around in clothes made of silk and gold you would be robbed pretty fast in the poor areas.
And if you had farmer clothes on you, you wouldn\'t be accepted in the \"better areas\".
Join The Order Of The Hand .
The rules are being updated, mail me if you are interested in knowing them.
\"Down in their hearts, wise men know this truth: the only way to help yourself is to help others.\"
Never take life seriously; nobody gets out alive anyway.

Dumb Woob

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2002, 04:00:44 pm »
Originally posted by Kiern
I think food will pretty much be just like any other rpg, there isnt very many ways to change it, as for the effects the food makes on you maybe instead of hurting (lowering skills) you it helps you.....like make it easier to gain points, so for those that are not fortunate to come by food on a regular basis do not lose some skills

EDIT: unless you wanna chop some animal up and cook it over a fire  8o  :P

food SHOULD\'NT heal much hitpoints... maybe endurance, things like that... bandages, medicines, herbs, and painkillers heal hp...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2002, 04:01:24 pm by Dumb Woob »

David_HD

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2002, 07:19:13 pm »
Originally posted by Dumb Woob
food SHOULD\'NT heal much hitpoints... maybe endurance, things like that... bandages, medicines, herbs, and painkillers heal hp...

Yeah, the food healing HP thing never made much sense to me, though in most cases I could see why they did it, as there wasn\'t much else it could have done within that context, and the games weren\'t immersive enough and had too little a concept of time that requiring food would have made sense. I\'m not sure about herbs, medicines, etc healing HP either, though. I think they should all speed the rate at which you recover, but it should take time to heal. At least, that would make sense. I\'m not sure how playable it would be.