Author Topic: In game chat  (Read 421 times)

Crimson

• Traveller
    • View Profile
In game chat
« on: February 16, 2003, 07:56:34 am »
One thing that i find annoying in mmorpgs is the fact that in most you have to click a box to type a message.

One of the good things about the-game-that-will-not-be-named is that you can just type straight away without clicking on anything.

It gets really hard to run somewhere while trying to click a box. Or when ur running with ur friend and u start typing him a warning but then you relise you havent clicked the box.

Im not sure if its possible to do this (because of keyboard uses and such) but if you could somehow by pass the clicking of the chat box im sure many people would appreciate it

Crimson

kinshadow

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2003, 01:12:00 pm »
Originally posted by Crimson
Im not sure if its possible to do this (because of keyboard uses and such) but if you could somehow by pass the clicking of the chat box im sure many people would appreciate it

Do to keyboard navigation (asdw) and hot-keys, just typing the message is out of the question.  You will be able to switch PS window focuses by hitting a button (like Windows\'s Alt-Tab), but you still can\'t type and run at the same time.  I\'m not sure how to get around this while preserving the current framework.

Crimson

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2003, 01:14:52 pm »
Thx for the reply, i thought that would be the case and i guess its only a small thing to worry about,

althougth it made the-game-that-shall-not-be-named almost bearable  :D :D

Rampage

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2003, 01:50:00 pm »
anyway the problem can be solved by adding a feature like stiking in DaoC...... u stick to a player and u follow him... while u automatically follow him u can chat without stopping running.... anyway it\'s pretty impossible in a 3d game where u gotta use the keyboard for moving ur char to chat without enabling the chat window in a sort of way for example by hitting enter........

it was different for games like UO..... where u move around only with the mouse, and than u can use the keyboard for chatting only......

Yann

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2003, 02:00:40 pm »
I like the idea of not having to click before typing your messages and i also think an \"auto-follow\" system should be welcome and usefull.

Rampage

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2003, 03:11:30 pm »
Originally posted by Yann
I like the idea of not having to click before typing your messages and i also think an \"auto-follow\" system should be welcome and usefull.

yep the problem is that the \"chat without clicking\" is impossible

Kiva

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2003, 03:14:11 pm »
Well, the Diablo idea of pressing return before typing a message has been discussed, and I think it was chosen as the easiest to implement/use. :P
\"Somewhere over the rainbow...\"

Abemore

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2003, 04:04:14 pm »
key=\"r\" value=\"autorun\"
using this already existing feature, you can type while moving.  I tried a while back to implement the \"Enter\" key to toggle focus between the chat window and the player screen, but there were issues with setting windows in focus at the time.  I don\'t know if anyone has implemented this since then.  Sadly, lately I have been too busy with college, job, and girlfriend to even look at the PS code.

One thing I dont want is an EQ style chat window where every possible status message is also displayed.  Status messages should be displayed somewhere else.  The chat window is for chatting.

Awaiting Invite from the Ordo Illuminatis.

Before you criticize someone, remember to walk a mile in their shoes...
...then when you criticize them, you\'ll be a mile away ...and you\'ll have their shoes.