Author Topic: Project (If Approvable?): A basic guide to the lore of Yliakum for new players  (Read 994 times)

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
So after returning from a very long absence I forgot most of the lore of the game and had to use the PSwiki and the books in the in-game library to refresh myself on lore knowledge, but a lot of this gets specific and is heavy on reading, so I was wondering if it'd be okay to do one of two things:

-Create a basic but all encompasing lore guide that highlights the most important things your character should know about his/her/kras world by default

or

-Add Jayose's books to the PS wiki as its own little project?

I know that this might harm the no-spoiler rule the forum has, especially the latter idea, but would something like the first idea be okay either? No quest information/solutions would be posted, I would only suggest that further lore tidbits be discovered through questing.

-sig by sarras

Demagul Riwe

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Demagul, Veirys, Fenoren, and more...
    • View Profile
Actually, there is something like that. There's the setting overview, race overview, and history overview all on the main site.

Setting overview:
http://www.planeshift.it/Settings

Races:
http://www.planeshift.it/Races

History
http://www.planeshift.it/History

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
I've looked at the races and history pages but never navigated my way to that settings link, huh. (Edit: it was just collapsed there on the main page, silly me). It's got a decent amount on there too, although I think there might need to be more geographical information included - there's actually a lot that has already been established but it's a large amount of information - the dome has a lot of sectors, cities, and geographical features that might be important to know. And then there are a number of other cities on the other levels.

Then again maybe I want to see a lore compilation not just for new players but for all players - something in depth that can be referred to through a browser since you can't take Jayose's books with you.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 11:33:32 am by Geoni »

-sig by sarras

cdmoreland

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Main: Waesed Waesech
    • View Profile
    • Ad Libertatem
More in the different libraries; Jayose, Stonehead, Levrus, and Broken Door Tavern.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
On the same topic, it would help if we had some sort of timeline that shows a consolidated view of the race histories. I might draft this up submit it if i have time.

I'm interested to see what the ruling is on geoni's question.

Tuathanach

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
  • Arch Chancellor of the Knowledge Seekers
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge seekers
-Create a basic but all encompasing lore guide that highlights the most important things your character should know about his/her/kras world by default
I personally do not see harm in someone preparing this if they have the spare time to do so. Would be good to have more knowledge of the races and gods.

On the same topic, it would help if we had some sort of timeline that shows a consolidated view of the race histories. I might draft this up submit it if i have time.
I would also like to see this but again falls down to someone having time. IIRC there are some conflicts in timelines, which will need highlighted and resolved.
Shindroks Crater Project Wiki
Interested contact Myself or Zunna.
We are contactable ingame, by PM or on Discord

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
We also have a Player's Guide! http://planeshift.top-ix.it/pswiki/index.php?title=Players_Guide maybe it could ba a good place to start a project like this! Like Tuathanach said time is limited but if any of you is willing to start a project like this please contact us in IRC!

Zunna

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Nice project idea Geoni !  :thumbup:
When the Creature page has been remade recently on PSWiki, they added a list of ingame books related to creatures in the bottom of the page. I found it very nice; it could be done for each of the pages and linked to the actual book text then. We shouldn't forget that the informations that the books displays are IC and that having so much books ingame and nowhere else is a particulary of this game too.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 08:46:09 am by Zunna »

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
Well in regards to the books, do any of you on the team know if they're created in game or somebody had the documents copied from their own computer that they could copypaste to the wiki? Other wise this is a heck of a lot of time if it's typing it all out. Like, I'd so some of the most important ones just for myself and my own reference, but there's a decent amount in game.

-sig by sarras

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
I think if you read a book ( open it) in the game, the text of it gets dumped into the log file. I'm not sure about this, but I think it's worth a try. I can't test this right now.

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
I'm not sure if the command works, because I tried that and I searched the heck out of my planeshift program files afterwards.

-sig by sarras

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Well in regards to the books, do any of you on the team know if they're created in game or somebody had the documents copied from their own computer that they could copypaste to the wiki? Other wise this is a heck of a lot of time if it's typing it all out. Like, I'd so some of the most important ones just for myself and my own reference, but there's a decent amount in game.

Yes there is the possibility to copy and paste the content right away, so non need to spend dayes and night just to type  ;)
We also have a developers wiki where all the settings book can be referred.
Some times ago we have been speaking about the possibility make some (but not all) books available outside of game as a reference for players to be able to know important settings information ahead. My suggestion is to contact Venalan and Mordaan so maybe you could work out together a list of books to make available in an off-game Jayose Library in the wiki or in the main website.
I think it's a much need project!  :D

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
All the devs seemed to like the idea at the time, we just didn't get around to it. I'm all for putting important settings books on the wiki/main site for players to have reference too. I'll try and have a chat to Mordaan over the next couple of days about books we think would help a player get started playing a character In Character in PlaneShift.

Cairn

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Older than a few mountains.
    • View Profile
    • Creative Minds Forum
http://sempetorps.webs.com/apps/blog/

until it gets compended and such.
I regret to announce that this is the end.

I bid you all a very fond farewell

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
Uuugh, wish that copypasting could actually work for me though. Might be something to bugtrack or something.

All the devs seemed to like the idea at the time, we just didn't get around to it. I'm all for putting important settings books on the wiki/main site for players to have reference too. I'll try and have a chat to Mordaan over the next couple of days about books we think would help a player get started playing a character In Character in PlaneShift.

If I'm to pitch in on what I think is most important, it's the 'meet the vigesimi' books because it's all I've been able to find on where things are on the dome, which is where all characters are and are RPing. I'd even suggest making a more organized 'these are the sectors and what's in them' book from what's here already. Then there's a book in the tradition section that talks about all coupling traditions for all the races, which is a good overview to have. If I'm remembering correctly, in the creatures/animals/whatever that's called section there's a particular book or two that lists a good number of them with small summaries for each. And then every single book in the races and religions sections you've got. The rest, such as history and job/skills stuff, isn't as important imo, especially since none of our characters have actually lived through that history. I mean, it's good stuff to know in terms of things being passed down, but not essential.

http://sempetorps.webs.com/apps/blog/

until it gets compended and such.

yaaaas

Thank you!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 04:43:29 pm by Geoni »

-sig by sarras