Author Topic: Crowdfunding  (Read 332 times)

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
Crowdfunding
« on: June 21, 2015, 12:08:52 pm »
Not sure if general discussion is the right place to put this, and I don't wish to step on any toes or insult the developers in making this post, but has Planeshift ever tried crowdfunding? Such as a gofundme page? http://www.gofundme.com/

I think that one way to get more artwork and coding done (or whatever talent it is that the team doesn't currently have) could be through crowdfunding and a small PR campaign in different places where you might get good reception, and then use the money to hire new team members for commission based pay depending on how much was raised. This would work to go beyond just the 'donate' option that's already there. That being said, before something like this were launched, if it were, we'd need to know exactly where to do some campaigning and I'm not entirely educated on all the best websites to do something like that. Also, I'd recommend some sort of benefit for donations that can also be redeemed in game based on what was donated, alongside being listed as a donor.

Anyways, this is all just a thought/suggestion for the PR team in particular. There's a lot that Planeshift has that could be highlighted: a very long beta-history, a unique world that hasn't been done in fantasy before, and unique races such as the kran, klyros, and nolthrir in particular.

-sig by sarras

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Crowdfunding
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 12:36:03 pm »
Not a bad idea.

Sulaika

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 01:20:49 pm »
Indeed

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 01:28:07 pm »
If not to just finish the freaking models for all the races. That desperately needs done.

CheatCat

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 02:56:12 am »
Maybe. From what I have heard, Planeshift have already got an amount of money from donations. If I am correct, it have not already been used yet.

It is important to note that no money can buy popularity.

Can-ned Food

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Many ask what The Can contains, but few will know.
    • View Profile
    • an OpenDocument Spreadsheet for planning your character's stats profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 03:19:14 am »
Well ... maybe as far as most MMOGs go, but those races aren't all that unique.  In fact, two can be seen in the Master of Orion series of turn-based strategy games.

In any case, people do understand the appeal of crowdfunding, yes?  Rather than simply ask for donations, you state terms by which you agree to compensate according to the level of commitment a person makes.
It's up to the person whether they find the terms acceptable, but there are promises to deliver in return for the contribution, through the use of an arbitrary agency (indiegogo, kickstarter, whatever), which can be rendered to any pertinent courts of law.
It is designed to accrue large fund bases through a large number of painless contributions, rather than a few heavy investments, trusts, or so.

Now, those promised deliveries can be almost anything, as I said.  I've seen it range from printing of a name in the credit roll, to a free copy and some goodies, up to VIP privileges and creative rights.
And, again, any legitimate such agency also promises that its terms have been and will be provided in the event of any legal proceedings which may result.  They work on the same legal ground as does any purchase of goods or services.

If Atomic Blue do have an appreciable pool of collected funds already, I find it less likely that they would enter into some crowdfunding arrangement.  It's probably not the money, but the other resources or even the budgeting.
Gedundk Kokro, kran
Ailela Belair, nolthrir
Hwokmar Cmar, ynnwn

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 04:02:13 am »
Crowfunding is a nice idea and something we have been discussing from time to time. However like Geoni pointed out it requires dedication and efforts on its own, best would be a dedicated person working on specific crowfounding project maybe. Also if we could use some funds for development purposes I think the best way to use them is finally completing all the missing races and update some of the oldest textures to improve their resolution.