Author Topic: Intro to Roleplay (1st discussion)  (Read 748 times)

Emaline

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Citizen
  • Game Master
    • View Profile
Intro to Roleplay (1st discussion)
« on: August 08, 2017, 07:54:30 pm »
I said I'd post the logs from the meeting here in case anyone wants to read them or point them out to people that missed it. This also makes it easy to open up for more discussion if needed/wanted. Things got a bit silly and off-topic towards the end and i think I cut some off but I think even if you just read the first bit or skim it you might pick up a thing or two. I would love to do this more and hopefully with some people who are actually new to PS or roleplay and we can  give more examples and encourage them to try it, I've had several people tell me they have never done it, don't know how, are scared, are not very good. the list goes on. The big thing about roleplay is the more you do it the more you learn and the better you  get. But no one is perfect and there are also so many ways to do it, anyways most of this is explained below a bit better (I hope):

EDIT: I asked for suggestions on what to call this and so far my favorite response is "Ralph" I asked why that? (I think they were being funny and just said a random name) But we came up with: Roleplay Advice, Live Players Helping, so I think I'm going call this event RALPH for now.

Emaline says: Hello everyone and welcome! I'm really shocked and in yet EXCITED so many have shown up! This is an OOC meeting so feel free to speak however in main for the time being. First off I do want to say that and make it very clear: There is no wrong way to RP, and everyone does it in their own special way. And the more you do it, the more you learn and better you get. I find I learn new tactics and ways with each new person I RP with.
Hangatyr says: Estyo Thoraro
Emaline says: I'd also like to share this awesome book I have that might be useful to some
Emaline says: A player gave me this once, and I thought it was great, Oretara if you guys want a copy just let me know when we are done and i'll load some up for you.
Larili says: If I recall the wiki has a good page on it as well
Emaline says: ah okay, cool!
Thoraro says: One of the biggest thing with rp within the game is not many people as there use to be and that people are to busy lvling then to rp.. is what i have noticed.
Emaline says: you can always just type "/emote" in game for a full list of them but this shows what they say when you do them with or without a target
Fesara says: I think I looked at the PSwiki once for them and it was lacking several of the emotes, Larili.
Larili says: ahh didn't know that
Emaline says: Yes Thoraro and that is an issue. And the more we get out there and just RP ...about whatever the more noobs and such will see what we are doing and want to join in and it will become a snowball effect
Migg says: Thoraro, you can always try chatting with anyone you see, and might get a reaction from some
Soociki says: I think it goes back to the fact that RP is... hard to "get" on an understanding level with new people.
Thoraro says: tried for a few years now and had no effect
Soociki says: The unspoken principle of RP is the separation of avatar... from player. Easy? Not at all...
Emaline says: It seems that most of you who showed up are actually not very new to RP and have a good understanding of it
Soociki says: You get attached to your character.
Silak says: I think it is helpful to think of RP as though everyone you met is speaking a slightly different dialect, and that your agendas are unclear until well expressed. The different dialect means listen more carefully as you cannot see body language or expressions.
Larili says: Thoraro, I almost always reply unless I'm afk for a moment.
Emaline says: I'm hoping hte new crafting/market area might make it easier to find rp and still be able to craft and work or sell items.
Migg says: well, if you try with me Thoraro you will get a response, unless I am AFK
Thoraro says: ok :)
Emaline says: yes Silak--a good pointer is it write out the body language in text. like you are writing a book
Fesara says: Ooo, I do that.
Emaline says: just saying /me smiles gets boring. use adjectives...how do they smile?
Emaline says: mischievously? slyly? shyly?bright? etc
Fesara grins broadly at Emaline just to be an example.
Thoraro says: I have rp for years and also use to set up rps..
Migg says: Well, I think people should start simple and build on what they learn
Emaline says: I'm actually quite honored to have drug some hammers into this ;-)
Fesara says: Yes, Migg.
Emaline says: RP is something you NEVER master.
Migg says: You actually had to drug them to get them to RP Emaline?
Emaline says: you always adapt, grow and learn and it's okay to change your style
Thoraro laughs
Emaline says: well that I did something that got them in and are participating I guess is what I meant?
Migg says: beer was it?
Hangatyr says: Drug? me ain't see any ale here!
Soociki says: Actually, there's something I've wanted to discuss for a while now. The decade old issue of... RP versus Game Mechanics.
Emaline says: I say that and another sends atell asking for a taxi! oh my!
Emaline says: yes Soociki go ahead please
Edico says: Hello!
Soociki says: Many will end up maxing many skills, for various reasons. By Game Mechanics, they have mastered many skills... but would they RP all of those skills being maxed, or would they "void" those skills in an IC sense?
Thoraro waves "dovoy brodr"
Hangatyr says: Hi Edico
Emaline says: Hello and welcome to those just arriving!
Soociki says: How do some of you deal with the issue of having maxed several skills, but it wouldn't make sense for your particular character?
Edico says: Estyo
Fesara says: I don't max skills. Ever. Never even maxed a single one.
Emaline says: That's a personal preference I think Soociki.
Migg says: well I am not maxed out either
Emaline says: Some max everything and only RP they have actually done some. Some max non...some only RP what they have.
Larili says: Well, I haven't maxed anything and I don't really plan on maxing any skills I don't use ICly
Soociki says: I understand. I want to hear people's ideas on it. It sounded like an interesting thing to talk and critically think about.
Migg says: but it does makes things esier to have higher stats I guess
Emaline says: It is frustrating for you to go around saying I'm the BEST swordsman around no one can beat me!
Emaline says: ...but you have 0 in swords.
Deryna says: It doesn't really matter for successful rp. Consequently folks don't need to know everything you've maxed or not.
Emaline says: They don't need to know. and they cant' tell unless you tell them.
Emaline says: or have it open on myplane
Emaline says: Or are a GM (muahaha)
Fesara says: But I try only to train the skills that make sense for my character. However, I view stats as purely OOC... say, I could've trained Strength up to 400 but my character is a weakling, so I RP her as such.
Migg says: You only get a generic magic and physical aptitude evaluation in desc
Thoraro says: aye, i have for years been unmaxed for the sake of my char..
Emaline says: descriptions! that's a good topic as well.
Migg says: ^
Fesara has a description.
Thoraro says: unless you want a good beer them me the best
Larili is reminded she needs to redo it at some point
Soociki says: My personal preference is that the IC desc doesn't have a scrollbar. I just don't like reading through a background story in what I feel is supposed to be a "physical" desc.
Emaline says: And again everyone is different. some change theirs daily to reflect any changes in RP.
Emaline says: Yeah. your desc should be if I walked up to you on the street..never met you or saw you before what would I be able to see?
Fesara says: A scrollbar, Soociki, does NOT mean that it's a background story in the IC description.
Hangatyr says: Even if I have maxed some, I still RP my character without pointing out the skills unless I have to. E.g. crafting a weapon. I made some many RP weapons like special Daggers wih ornaments, or even an index finger, cos one lost his.
Larili says: Soociki, yours does though
Soociki says: Uhh... no it doesn't!
Soociki hastily edits his desc.
Emaline says: a lot of yours is the spaces
Fesara says: Soociki, it's a little longer when other people view it than when you view it.
Soociki says: There we go... minor edits.
Soociki says: Okay, correction: As long as it doesn't have too many paragraphs.
Emaline says: Short is okay with them, long tends to lose peoples interest, they want to be able to interact with you to learn about your char not read a novel before they even say, "Hi"
Larili says: fair enough 4 isn't a lot
Dawna says: It's understandable that people would want to make a very detailed description, but the thing is, a text too long may make other people lose interest
Emaline says: Exactly
Migg says: Agree
Thoraro says: agreed
Larili 's description is too short thought I think
Hangatyr says: As we all look alike, I use it to be a little different
Soociki says: Exactly, thank you... I couldn't express that well
Tinabobina says: I didnt do a description right away but I did do one later on though
Emaline says: and while we love your creativity in the description, we want to see more of that being described out as we interact with you
Migg says: Focus on prominent characteristics, things one would readily notice
Emaline says: people tend to skim when it's too long.
Soociki says: What Migg said.
Migg says: If your character is missing a hand or is limping say so
Hangatyr says: I am missing an ale
Migg says: if they are injured write that down
Hangatyr says: does that count?
Fesara says: lol
Emaline says: I should have made notes for this, I'm totally winging this, but the discussion is going great so far!
Larili says: If you often go by a different name than that the game shows then you should included that at the top somewhere as well
Emaline says: If I could spawn items Hangatyr I'd fix that.
Migg says: Hangatyr appears to be more somber than any stonehammer ever has a right to be
Emaline says: Oh I can do this...
Dawna says: A Stonehammer without an ale? Unheard of!
Fesara says: Also, something that bugs me... don't write other player's character's reactions into your description.
Soociki says: I like Larili's suggestion
Dawna says: True Fesara
Emaline says: now lets see...this MIGHT take me a moment..
Fesara says: And unless you're wearing a name tag, they can't look at you and know your name.
Soociki says: Agreed with Fesara on writing other player's reactions in your desc.
>You were given 1 Beer Mug by GM Emaline.
Soociki says: That actually swings us right in to the topic of "godmoding"
Emaline says: Ohhh I did it!! I think it worked...
Migg says: Yes, agree with Larili, I'd suggest at the very top
Tinabobina says: It worked
Larili says: they can't but it;s hard to remember other peoples names while if they just have it at the top it is a lot easier
Fesara says: Well, in that case Larili, yes. I've actually seen some people do that.
Emaline says: So there you all may enjoy a beer.
Hangatyr raises his mug "A cheer to the donor"
Fesara says: Another nifty thing is that if you have them on your buddylist, you can edit the name there to include whatever alias they go by.
Thoraro holds up his beer mug "Cheers all"
Tinabobina says: thanks for the beer but I don't drink
Soociki says: A mistake I've noticed new RPers make back when I played other roleplaying games is not giving the other person a chance to react.
Soociki says: For example...
Emaline says: Yes! I used the edits all the time
Soociki swings at person, hitting them and putting them on the ground unconscious.
Soociki says: I've just assumed that 1. I would hit them
Migg says: swings hitting them hard would be better
Soociki says: 2. They would go unconscious
Larili says: that bugs me so much in some other games! PS isn't that bad in it though
Soociki says: So I just powergamed.
Emaline says: Yes, something to keep in mind.
Emaline says: another big big thing I see happen a lot
Soociki says: Part of RP is trust.
Migg says: or swings hard aiming their head
Soociki says: Trusting the other player to be fair with their RP
Emaline says: No one wants to loose. No one wants to be the loser or the failure at things...but you know what? That's what makes things interesting. Are you 100% perfect all the time in RL?
Soociki says: That they're not going to dodge every one of your hits, or be invincible...
Dawna says: That is most important indeed
Migg says: well, you can agree on a dice roll to see if that succeeded
Soociki says: Agreed with Emaline.
Emaline says: yes I do see /roll being used to help as well, and that's one option but usually agreed upon oocly first.
Fesara says: Something I notice a lot is that people will /greet you and then run away... it's hard to tell if they wanted to RP and just didn't wait long enough, or if they just felt like they NEEDED to /greet even though they weren't interested in RP.
Soociki says: It's not roleplay if it's just you doing all the actions.
Soociki says: So always give them a chance to react to something you do
Soociki says: You may be surprised ;)
Fesara says: Yes.
Larili says: actually, if someone wold just randomly role a die then I would just factor than into the action taken and estimate my actions upon that
Emaline says: And it's also okay to adapt to others styles for the current RP...some hate using /emote some over use them...just try and blend in and it will go more smooth I find.
Dawna says: You could RP someone so addicted to gambling that they would use a dice for many actions
Larili says: Right, I /greet a lot of people as I walk by, most as a polite curtisy like saying "good day" if you walk past someone in the street
Emaline says: Also right now...as much as I hate to or suggest you RP a certain type of char... I would like to say..
Migg says: have a GM rename a sack to a sack full of dice?
Emaline says: RPing a hermit who wants to be left alone all the time in this player base would be a bad idea...so try and create your chars personality to fit the current community.
Emaline says: I'm not saying they have to be SUPER outgoing and talk to everyone. they can be shy...but you get my point?
Thoraro says: Its a good thing for char to stop and say hello as we use to do..
Fesara says: RPing the hero all the time gets boring as well, however.
Emaline says: You can't expect to encourage RP if your char's personality hates interacting with people
Migg says: No birds to RP with here
Soociki says: Actually Emaline that reminded me of something I wanted to talk about
Migg says: well, perhaps you can RP even a shy person
Soociki says: Even though there aren't really placable tents or such, outdoors hunting RP is still possible by laying down animal hides and campfires.
Migg tries to stay as unnoticed as possible wile crossing the street
Soociki says: Getting creative with how you RP can make just about any RP possible even if mechanics don't support it.
Fesara says: Yep.
Migg says: Ever been to the tailor?
Soociki says: Haven't. Didn't know there was a tailor.
Emaline lost her train thought but had another good point...what was it..
Emaline says: There are few who RP them Soociki
Soociki says: They're never online when I am...
Thoraro says: there is a guild that use to run like tailors.. Crystal weavers..
Emaline says: because that's not implemented...they are very creative
Soociki says: So I just put it in my physical desc what I am wearing.
Migg says: yes, you order clothes and get a desc in a book
Soociki says: Never bothered, never knew who the tailors were ICly
Emaline says: I'd also like to suggest the use of /me or /my for 's more of a descriptive sentence to what your char is doing vs just having it always standing there and saying, saying, saying saying.
Emaline says: does that makes sense?
Fesara nods to indicate that it does make sense to her.
Fesara says: Then again, I'm one of those weird people that likes detail/description. Sooo...yeah.
Larili chuckles
Migg says: well instead of typing "smiles" type "/me smiles"
Soociki says: In the beginning when I was talking about separating your avatar from yourself, I did want to mention one big tip.
Soociki says: It's been an issue in roleplay games since villain characters were even a thing.
Emaline says: Oh yes! I recall now! thanks Soociki haha
Soociki says: Don't PC hate. IC is IC, OOC is OOC.
Thoraro 's beer is empty
Soociki says: Terrible things might happen to your character, and you can hate that character... but hating the player isn't cool.
Fesara says: Definitely agreed.
Soociki says: I've always befriended those who IC are villains, and they're pretty cool dudes
Thoraro says: cheers friend
Emaline says: Yes! we need those villians to help create RP and stir things up
Soociki says: Exactly what Emaline said. Conflict = RP
Emaline says: and just cause they are bad IC does not mean they are a total jerk IRL...although okay sometimes it does ;-)
Emaline says: But I've also met total jerks oocly who RP the goodie two shoes.
Thoraro says: aye that we do.. as long as they don't start on noobs... that was a problem with some villains
Migg says: well Migg hates Izzy and her forked tongue
Hangatyr says: I should be possible to use the emotes anywhere in a sentence, not only at the beginning. Start every second sentence with /me or /my is rather ... erm .. restricted to say it polite
Fesara says: There are all types.
Migg says: but the player is cool and makes excellent RP
Tozaun nods
Fesara says: Depends on how you look at /me and /my. You can type something like this
Fesara says, "What a lovely day," and then nods in agreement with so-and-so, continuing on to babble about something on the topic of juiceberries.
Migg says: I'd say split that in parts
Emaline says: That's one thing I think we all need to keep in mind too...No one is perfect, we are all just people in rl with actuall feelings, a lot of the times the annomosity of the internet lets us hide and forget that and we we need to be more understanding I think that its okay.
Emaline says: Also no one expects you to get along with EVERYONE, do you get along with everyone you have ever met?
Fesara says: Well, Migg, sometimes it's hard to tell when someone is done saying something if they
Fesara says: keep
Fesara says: posting
Fesara says: more
Fesara says: posts
Fesara says: and sentences
Soociki says: Fesara, I soooo resemble that remark
Fesara says: xD
Migg says: yes but it's hard to interrupt if they just post a wall of text
Migg says: and by the time you read it it usually is too late to reply
Fesara says: And sometimes when you're typing
Dawna says: That's one of the limitations we have to work with
Fesara says: multiple posts
Fesara says: they say something and you're like
Emaline says: Yes, well that's an example of adapting to someone, lets pick on Fesara  and Soociki here
Tozaun says: I do think most of the time, feelings are too soft and they are quick to get oocly upset about an ic thing.
Fesara says: Oh, I'ma rep-
Fesara says: and then they move on
Fesara says: and you can't
Fesara says: because they're typing like this so fast
Emaline says: lets say Fesara is a slow reader and typer...and Soociki is fast...so he's going to need to slow down his rp and wait for Fesara to keep up.
Fesara does take a while at times.
Soociki does type too fast at times.
Migg says: well some people take time to reply in RL
Migg says: just RP a slow talker
Fesara says: Migg, that's not a good way to go about it. That's limiting what other people can RP solely on the basis that "they're too slow to keep up with my super-fast fingers"
Emaline says: well I'm not saying just cause you type slow your char has to be slow. it's okay for the rest of us to wait a moment to give them a chance to type.
Thoraro says: Aye its not fun trying to keep up with all that is said.. it took me awhile to keep up and i still miss alot
Fesara says: I think it's nice to wait for them. You might find RP to be really rewarding if you show more patience waiting for their responses.
Migg says: well I usually try to interact
Soociki says: I've actually found that people we think type slow... are about to drop the biggest description bomb, which would blow our minds.
Migg says: and I hate walls of text
Soociki says: It was always worth the wait in my experience.
Fesara says: :) Soociki
Deryna says: one can use ooc brackets to say [slow down Im having trouble keeping up]
Emaline says: I'd also like to ask/point out that with this small player base...hogging all the RP and hiding your guildhosue is mean :P
Migg says: cool idea Derry
Soociki says: lol!
Larili says: I love wall of texts to read, just not for rp
Fesara says: That isn't always the easiest, Deryna, when they're in the middle of typing their response
Fesara says: Imagine somebody made a comment and you're typing your reply, then they say something else... so you try adapting your post, but they keep moving on
Fesara says: you can't really tell them to slow down without getting rid of what you're typing
Migg says: One particular player comes to mind
Migg says: and Fesara tell me what you'd done
Thoraro says: lot of players come to my mind
Migg says: he posted half a screen worth of text
Fesara says: Migg, what do you mean?
Migg says: in it were 3 questions on different subjects, 5 observations
Fesara says: By "Tell me what you'd done"
Fesara says: Nobody is perfect at RP.
Migg says: by the time I could read and reply to the first question he had a second wall fall on me
Fesara says: Everybody can continue learning it, if only they allow themselves to.
Soociki says: That does bring up another point...
Migg says: well he has fixed that now
Thoraro nods
Dawna says: Well that's a perfect opportunity then to say [slow down there]

CONTINUED ON NEXT POST (who knew there was a char limit?)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 07:58:37 pm by Emaline »
I'm very responsible, whenever something goes wrong they always say I'm responsible.

Any Event idea find us on IRC #ps-event
Problem Ingame use IRC: #Planeshift-gmtalk

Emaline

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Citizen
  • Game Master
    • View Profile
Re: Intro to Roleplay (1st discussion)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 07:57:42 pm »
Soociki says: Sometimes you just might not be compatible with another RPer. It's a 1/100 chance though.
Migg says: but just noting walls of text don't help
Fesara says: Shredding someone for their current RP style isn't a great way to enjoy RP.
Soociki says: I've had one this week like that, and I expect it'll probably be one of very few I would have.
Migg says: I am shredding noone, but if you don't manage to keep up walls of text and single sentences make no difference Fesara
Fesara says: Maybe talk with them calmly OOCly and tell them that you're having troubles keeping up, and gently suggest potential ways you two could reach a compromise and continue enjoying RP.
Vvolli says: hi all
Deryna says: Well its also good to learn a bit about ps lore. Ive had characters eat kra food that weren't kran and walk away unscathed
Soociki says: Usually people don't know when they are making these mistakes though
Soociki says: So let them know
Soociki says: If they get defensive and are being stubborn, perhaps it would be best to avoid future situations with them if it doesn't look like things will improve.
Larili says: if that was Igesal then she knew I think?
Migg says: well that particular thing could be fixed by game mechanics
Soociki says: but that's so rare it almost never happens.
Fesara says: Migg, I know who you're talking about. He's a nice guy, and talking with him he was trying hard to cut down on the text he typed, but by that point it was very much habit, so it was hard.
Tozaun says: Eating kran food should kill you instantly so they learn, instead of being survivable with enough hp
Tozaun says: IF I drank motor oil irl, id die
Migg says: yes, not trying to expose a guy or chastise him or anything
Fesara says: But just complaining about someone to other people won't get you anywhere, really. The best option is to initiate a polite discussion with the player and try to work out a compromise.
Migg says: just saying walls of text tend to contain multiple things
Fesara says: Not always, Migg.
Deryna says: Well I warned them ic they would probably get sick, but they ignored that too.
Deryna shrugs
Migg says: and not complaining about him
Fesara says: Generalizing is rarely good.
Migg says: just saying people should not do that
Soociki says: Mechanics vs RP again
Soociki says: Some will not respect the lore/IC nature of things.
Migg says: if you want to say 3 things say them in 3 separate tells
Soociki says: I don't know how I feel about mechanics enforcing RP however... like kran foods killing people.
Migg shuts up
Emaline says: Sometimes you just have to ignore some things and move on with your RP in that case.
Tozaun says: Oh i just thought that'd be funny Sooc
Soociki says: lol
Migg says: well, you could just pop a message, but if a maulber kills you you die
Emaline says: rather than get all upset or cause a big ooc issue out of, just simply ignore it a bit
Soociki says: Some people simply don't know.
Soociki says: Talk with the person.
Soociki says: but talk respectfully.
Soociki says: RP isn't a secret magic Way.
Deryna says: i did but still ..
Soociki says: Then maybe they choose not to respect the lore/IC nature of kran food.
Soociki says: Some people you just can't RP with, but again, 1/100 people
Deryna says: I hate to critique and send tells telling people how to rp
Fesara says: Me too, Deryna.
Thoraro says: me big time
Emaline says: Okay I think we have covered a lot...this is not entirely what I had in mind but mostly. It's worked to some degree I was hoping some of the newer players would show up as well.
Deryna says: which is why this meeting was a great idea
Hangatyr says: Depends on, if he/she/it is new, why not?
Emaline says: I think what's going to make a big difference is for us to just get out there and do some RP..try and involve as many people as you can
Soociki says: I'm glad this meeting has happened.
Emaline says: Aw thanks everyone! I'm really glad people liked the idea and you are all so open to this.
Emaline says: I need a better name for it if I want to do it again, which I'm okay with doing so we can try and include more people or ideas who can't make this time/date.
Thoraro says: thats differnet.. when you have a well known rp that likes to tell oll how to rp it can get right up your nose... but a noob just needs guidance
Emaline says: I'm even okay if you guys want to send me a tell or open a petition @Emaline hey I'd like some pointers on RP or I'd like to ask you what you think about this.
Soociki says: The Breakfast Club?
Hangatyr waves his mug
Tinabobina says: well it is a RP meeting so what should you call it?
Fesara says: No, it's an OOC meeting to discuss RP
Deryna says: RP Rap
Dawna says: Beginners Brunch?
Tinabobina says: lol Deryna
Emaline says: I guess I was afraid this might come off as more of this is from a GM so this is how you HAVE to rp, it's a rule or something
Deryna says: not just for beginners tho, I think anybody could benefit
Migg says: RolePlaying: Ideas, Tips and More
Silak says: RP Hash
Emaline says: and that's not something I wanted. I want to encourage those that are afraid to try to just get out there and do it, you learn the most by just practicing and doing.
Hangatyr says: Beginners? If I look around I see at least 30 to 40 years of online time
Dawna says: RP roundtable
Silak says: Good one
Emaline says: Yes I wanted experienced Rpers to show up too to help explain and discuss what they like/what they learned in the past so this is really great and helpful and will make us a stronger community I think
Soociki says: It's also not just newbies who would be new to RP. There are some refugees from the PVP server isn't there?
Dawna notices the table is square
Emaline says: I will post logs of this discussion on the forums so feel free to tell guildies/friends to take a look if they want to skim what we talked about but could not make this.
Fesara says: RP square table just doesn't have the same ring to it, though xD
Emaline narrows her eyes at Tozaun
Deryna looks back and forth quickly between Tozaun and Emaline
Emaline says: I'm flattered, really, but I'm not that into you.
Tozaun looks embarassed
Emaline says: okay silly random marriage proposals aside..
Migg says: too much missing context?
Soociki snickers
Vvolli says: wait...who is married to whom?
Emaline says: Anything else anyone wants to talk about? I don't want to keep you guys if you have something better to do
Tozaun says: Me and Emaline, but I've been rejected
Emaline says: You did make me laugh though Tozaun!
Soociki says: ... Above all, just get out there. The worst that can happen is, someone might not want to RP with you. They won't have many choices at this rate.
Emaline says: ^
Soociki says: I was terrible at RP when I first started in an unrelated game
Soociki says: Powergaming, godmoding, Marty Stuing...
Migg says: Yes, the best tip for RP is to just try and RP
Soociki says: You name it. I was terrible.
Soociki says: but I got better. Much better.
Soociki says: I didn't have the help we have now in PS
Emaline says: And I mean guys, if you want to run a player event and need some GM help, anything from impersonating NPCs, to renaming items or locking items down let us know! We are here to help you guys and want to encourage RP in anyway we can
Soociki says: I didn't have people telling me what I was doing wrong, advice...
Thoraro says: if there is anyone to find.... as never many around
Soociki says: I had people avoiding me and treating me bad... but PS is different. People will help you.
Soociki says: So take advantage.
Soociki says: RP
Vvolli takes notes..Tozaun the old romancer'
Dawna says: And the more people you RP with, the more ideas will come to you for your own RP to develop
Emaline says: Yes!
Migg says: Ah, and perhaps one emote is missing: /slap
Fesara says: Just take a breathe, plunge in, and RP.
Deryna says: good one Migg
Tozaun says: Oh when I started here I was terrible, a guy named Hipie helped me out in my early days
Emaline says: ahh wrong way. /rphit fails.
Soociki says: After a rejection like that Tozaun, are you going to invent the new magic way, the Blues Way?
Vvolli says: good old hipie...
Tozaun looks sad
Tozaun says: Maybe
Emaline says: I wonder if we could submit suggestions for emotes I'll have to look into that.
Migg says: Playing the Blues Lute
Soociki says: The Cry glyph
Soociki says: Agony glyph
Soociki says: okay but enough of that lol
Tozaun says: The shattered heart </3
Tozaun says: glyoh
Vvolli says: or the motivation glyph
Tozaun says: glyph*
Migg says: looks like an icecream to me
Vvolli eyes Deryna
Emaline says: If you guys have any questions ever, don't hesitate to send me a tell or open a petition or message me on the forums, find me on IRC. I'm easy to approach and if I don't respond I'll watch for you and get back to you.
Emaline says: it looks like we are getting way off topic and pretty much done here.
Soociki says: Thank you for hosting this event Emaline.
Migg says: </3 q:
Thoraro says: It was interesting. thanks
Vvolli says: one last question, Emaline
Emaline says: Is this something you guys feel should be done again? (even though we might go over some of the same things but with other people)?
Hangatyr says: Yes and thanks for the ale
Emaline says: yes?
Deryna says: Yes!
Thoraro says: aye that too
Dawna says: Definitely
Vvolli says: did you get flowers from Tozaun?
Migg says: yes!
Emaline says: No, I'm a little dissapointed in that.
Hangatyr says: If free ale is involved, YES
Tozaun says: Next time.
Soociki says: I would like this to be hosted again, definitely.
Emaline says: Okay I might set up some more then and see who shows up. I am really shocked so many showed up to this one!
Silak says: Great idea, keep it up when possible.
Soociki might have forced some in his guild to come here.
Fesara says: Well, you said "Discussion of RP" and then everyone flocked to you.
Dawna says: It's heartwarming, really
Deryna says: oh you had a book? Do we get copies?
Emaline says: Well it's good to see so many wanting to RP still and wanting to learn more.
Emaline says: yes! I will, if anyone wants a copy of this emotes book here for use
Emaline says: I find it helpful to glance at so you can be like oh well what does /smile do when you are mid rp
I'm very responsible, whenever something goes wrong they always say I'm responsible.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 06:29:39 am »
I skimmed. It looks positive. You actually got people to talk about rp and their concerns. Good luck.

Migg

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 02:27:40 pm »
It was a good meeting, kudos to Emaline for organizing it!  :thumbup:

For one thing, I believe it conclusively proved PS has many players interested in RP. I also think some good topics were broached, if not exhaustively discussed. Thanks again to Emaline for this transcript, I think it makes following what was said easier. The gist of it, at least to me, is that you can find people interested in RP, and if you want to try your hand at it you should just go for it and learn along the way :)

gonger

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 04:43:44 pm »
Somehow the organisation / invitation to this meeting went past me.
Who organised, when & where did it take place? Just curious...
It is certainly a good initiative, since quite a few of the new arrivals do not seem to know much about RP.
We should encourage them to RP, to make mistakes, and to learn from them. Few people are very good RPers from the start, so the will to learn is what matters.

Emaline

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Citizen
  • Game Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 04:53:49 pm »
It was me. A random idea I had laying in bed one night. I asked in gossip if people thought it was a silly idea because I doubted myself, and my sleep deprived ideas. But everyone seemed excited so I set it up on the events page and was very shocked so many showed up. Hopefully next  time we can get more newer people for sure. I'll try add another here soon so watch the events page. I'm open to suggestions on it as well. Perhaps I'll run it more dev meet style next time. I'm not sure.

RoberetGoldsmith

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 05:54:49 pm »
Reading the above is interesting. I used to play on here a few years back on and off (Looking back at my forum posts I go back from 2007, good grief)

I'd say the best role play is that which in general, enhances everyone's character or roleplay experience. Easier said then done. Its a game of give and take I suppose!

Roleplay fighting  I always found tricky, the most fun I had was through the luck of a /roll.

I stinging memory is witnessing an OCC discussion mid way a fight where the argument was if an enki's tale could hold a sword or not.

Some hills are too small to die on.  ;)

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 06:40:18 pm »
To be honest, I don't think this is enough.

Besides the definition of roleplay, the most important thing to teach new roleplayers is etiquette. I have yet to see a guide on how to roleplay presented anywhere in the game. Going through NPC dialogue in a tutorial isn't enough. Usually there's a guide that you can easily reference at any point (in most RP communities I've participated in).

There's a primer (?) on roleplay in the help window, but I'm doubting most players know of its existence, and it is more of a lecture than an actual guide and skimps on a lot of basic information.

Usually an RP guide comes in list form and resembles rules. Of course, they're guidelines, not rules necessarily, but there are some examples where breaking RP etiquette is the same as breaking actual rules (i.e. powerplaying someone into explicit ERP). That and the fact that lack of knowledge can lead to OOC conflict makes me think this game is in dire need of a guide on roleplay etiquette. An event can help in individual cases but it isn't comparable.

Edit for addition:

Soociki says: Many will end up maxing many skills, for various reasons. By Game Mechanics, they have mastered many skills... but would they RP all of those skills being maxed, or would they "void" those skills in an IC sense?
Thoraro waves "dovoy brodr"
Hangatyr says: Hi Edico
Emaline says: Hello and welcome to those just arriving!
Soociki says: How do some of you deal with the issue of having maxed several skills, but it wouldn't make sense for your particular character?
Edico says: Estyo
Fesara says: I don't max skills. Ever. Never even maxed a single one.
Emaline says: That's a personal preference I think Soociki.
Migg says: well I am not maxed out either
Emaline says: Some max everything and only RP they have actually done some. Some max non...some only RP what they have.

Doubt most have heard of it, but this is called a munchkin (I've also heard people call it a powergamer). The Mary Sue of RPGs. They basically ignore story, lore, realism, etc. in favor of taking advantage of a game's mechanics and loopholes in order to have the strongest possible character. These are heavily frowned upon elsewhere (and might get you kicked), but not so much here, and I'd blame that on the skill mechanics and lack of knowledge of basic RP etiquette.

Migg says: and I hate walls of text
Soociki says: It was always worth the wait in my experience.
Fesara says: :) Soociki
Deryna says: one can use ooc brackets to say [slow down Im having trouble keeping up]
Emaline says: I'd also like to ask/point out that with this small player base...hogging all the RP and hiding your guildhosue is mean :P
Migg says: cool idea Derry
Soociki says: lol!
Larili says: I love wall of texts to read, just not for rp
Fesara says: That isn't always the easiest, Deryna, when they're in the middle of typing their response
Fesara says: Imagine somebody made a comment and you're typing your reply, then they say something else... so you try adapting your post, but they keep moving on
Fesara says: you can't really tell them to slow down without getting rid of what you're typing
Migg says: One particular player comes to mind
Migg says: and Fesara tell me what you'd done
Thoraro says: lot of players come to my mind

As for "walls of text", hopefully players aren't having to wait over five minutes for a response in roleplay, but because roleplaying on this game is done in a text box, you have to be patient. I don't get the dislike of larger posts, as long as they aren't taking too long to write. Slow typists should avoid typing longer posts for the sake of other players' enjoyment, obviously. However, I originated in forum roleplay where a paragraph or three was the norm, so it's not exactly unexpected to be descriptive and write paragraphs when you're a roleplayer. It is not unusual for IC messages to consist of more than two sentences. If you hate reading paragraphs, you're playing the wrong game.

I'm just going off what i see in this log here and what I know about the size of the default text box. Half of the default text box is not a wall of text. My box is expanded because I tend to type in paragraphs or at least more than one sentence when roleplaying. Depending on the situation, I don't take very long to type (never more than five minutes, not even close to five usually), and I tailor my response length and timing to who I'm roleplaying with. I have zero interesting in roleplay that isn't descriptive or involving enough for me to get an idea of what my character would be experiencing.

So keep typing "walls", to whoever this is about. Just be considerate.

Edit #2:

I saw that it said "half a screen worth of text", but I previously assumed that meant the text box... If it was half a screen, that's pretty strange. Obviously RP posts should be easily digestible, so I wouldn't agree with literally typing half a screen's worth of words.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 07:16:23 pm by Volki »
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 02:24:10 pm »
Pace, audience and length of post is definitely something to take into consideration. Shorter posts are sometimes better in faster moving games or where there are a lot of active characters in one place. I know some folks ( not in ps ) use a rotation instead of just posting at any time.

Some of my favorite stories were ones that took each player a looooooong time to post. Yes, they were painfully slow and appeared action-less to outsiders, but when you got that post, you would read every word eagerly while smiling from cheek to cheek as the words hammered the buttons in your mind. Some of the slow posters would include all kinds of story-like details that really added depth and color to the evolving story.

Many people don't realize that when your character is in a hot situation, they are likely to be getting downed with tells at the same time that they are trying to type. That and some players play multiple characters in multiple games at once. I used to play up to 4 characters a time when things were slow to medium paced and then make some exit from other games when things got too crazy in one. I'm not the only one here who did this....  ( I won't name names.. ya'll know who you are ) .

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 06:42:15 am »
I've dualboxed and tripleboxed but quadboxing? You're crazy Rig.

Also yeah this needs to be in a definitive list. There's a discord with a lot of PS' RPers and someone was compiling a list of agreed upon RP rules although it didn't have a guide. Honestly the biggest RP guiding point I can give in my near decade of experience is to take initiative, risks, and never let things stagnate. Involve everyone possible and don't be afraid to get a little messy. Don't be afraid to plan with people behind the scenes. Be open to that communication too. This is just me rambling though, I might compile a better list of points I feel are most important to RP.

-sig by sarras

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 10:16:47 am »
True dat.

Migg

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 01:45:04 pm »

As for "walls of text", hopefully players aren't having to wait over five minutes for a response in roleplay, but because roleplaying on this game is done in a text box, you have to be patient. I don't get the dislike of larger posts, as long as they aren't taking too long to write. Slow typists should avoid typing longer posts for the sake of other players' enjoyment, obviously. However, I originated in forum roleplay where a paragraph or three was the norm, so it's not exactly unexpected to be descriptive and write paragraphs when you're a roleplayer. It is not unusual for IC messages to consist of more than two sentences. If you hate reading paragraphs, you're playing the wrong game.

I'm just going off what i see in this log here and what I know about the size of the default text box. Half of the default text box is not a wall of text. My box is expanded because I tend to type in paragraphs or at least more than one sentence when roleplaying. Depending on the situation, I don't take very long to type (never more than five minutes, not even close to five usually), and I tailor my response length and timing to who I'm roleplaying with. I have zero interesting in roleplay that isn't descriptive or involving enough for me to get an idea of what my character would be experiencing.

So keep typing "walls", to whoever this is about. Just be considerate.

Edit #2:

I saw that it said "half a screen worth of text", but I previously assumed that meant the text box... If it was half a screen, that's pretty strange. Obviously RP posts should be easily digestible, so I wouldn't agree with literally typing half a screen's worth of words.
Sorry about the long quote, does that constitute a wall of text? What I meant with that remark was a long post (talking in-game here, not referring to forum posts in any way) that constituted a set of different questions and remarks. I doubt in real life anyone would have asked such a long list of questions without either waiting for an answer, or being interrupted. So my objection to walls of text representing speech is they don't allow the other party any time to reply. Since I dislike similarly abusing the chat box, it so happened that by the time I answered the first question of the set I was faced with a second wall.

Now, my character would have certainly have started replying to the questions interrupting the speaker, if given the chance. The nature of the long chat makes this impossible. To be fair, the player mentioned has greatly improved in that respect and is quite fun to RP with nowadays, if you can get hold of him.

And just for completeness, I play at a reasonably high resolution and my chat window, if not overly tall, is quite wide and hard to fill with text. :)

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 11:20:34 pm »
If I may contribute a thought, the issue is that RP is different things to different people, and for all intents and purposes everyone is right. The issue is how to be flexible and find others that can be flexible so that everyone can grow and learn together.

For instance, snubbing a person who uses smilies may uphold a somewhat arbitary rule, but you might stiffle the story telling growth of someone you may one day go out of your way to RP with. Someone else may be a fabulous writer and weave intricate stories, but only for their own characters and they may chafe when others try to introduce their own elements.

Fundamentally, however one defines it, RP is a social activity. The largest skills anyone needs are respect, patience, and a willingness to learn from others. Beyond that wing everything else. You'll be fine in the end. :thumbup:

Ok ok and try not to break the settings everyone else... I suppose I can toss one specific issue into the pot. :P