Author Topic: The Cycles and Cycles 750AY: Why Shouldn't the Cycles Change with Real Time?  (Read 341 times)

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
Sorry if this has been discussed to death at some point but I searched 750AY and didn't really find a thread about it, but why are we stuck in the year 750 AY? I'm genuinely interested in why because from a RP perspective it is really confusing to start your first year of RPing here and decide that your character is say, 25 years old, meaning they were born in 725 AY. And so you have been RPing this character for over a year, to the month of their birthday, how can it make sense to start the same cycle over again and it not be 751? The only way to age this character would be to move their birthday back a cycle but in doing so that might alter some aspects of their history, such as when they were schooled, when they got their first job, etc. I can't recall if the answer was something along the lines of 'don't think into it' or something else but I am wondering why it was determined that we stay in this cycle.

Even from a community and development standpoint, it can make sense to move on to 751AY, 752AY, etc by having historical moments occur each year that make that cycle remembered for ____ or ____. Not only that, but I can see it as a means of bridging community RP with an ongoing development of the game, especially since I have heard (I think through the GM Q&A) that lore is being developed in a way that progresses the story of the game in general. I feel like maybe allowing the cycles to move with that developing story might solve the birthday/age dilemma as well as allow for a new and contemporary timeline to begin playing out in an interesting historical sense.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 02:05:23 am by Geoni »

-sig by sarras

netforce10

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
I agree that it would be very nice to actually have an in game years that you can accuratly refer to. Currently I end up having to use something along the lines of "32th of Azhord [real life year 2017]", you end up having to refer to real life years. Which, I find is quite jarring. it also makes referring to events our characters experienced in the past quite hard since there is no real clear length to that date.
Larili Soriol

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Normally I avoid using the full date in-character. But if I had to use it, I'd assume the current date was 765 AY since this game's first release was 15 years ago.
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows

Emaline

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Citizen
  • Game Master
    • View Profile
From what I heard and understood the date currently, never progresses past 750 AY. And if something happens today then five years pass it happened on 745 AY. Confusing. Yes, I know. So I guess if you date something for today every year you have to go back and change the date?
I'm very responsible, whenever something goes wrong they always say I'm responsible.

Any Event idea find us on IRC #ps-event
Problem Ingame use IRC: #Planeshift-gmtalk

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
From what I heard and understood the date currently, never progresses past 750 AY. And if something happens today then five years pass it happened on 745 AY. Confusing. Yes, I know. So I guess if you date something for today every year you have to go back and change the date?

So if a couple has a child in this year they have to date the birth back a year each time that child grows a year older but in doing so they have to date back their growing relationship with their partner, date back other things that led to it, and so on, until it becomes a jumbled mess of character history. It makes no sense from a setting standpoint not to just pass the years with ours. If the settings team is making some big event happen in 750 and that's the reason why, why not just have the big event happen in 766?

-sig by sarras

Aeghiss

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Hopefully my English grammar is flawless.
    • View Profile
I remember having talked with some devs (probably Mordaan and/or Venalan) about this and having been given the answer that due to the current frozenness of the storyline Talad (I guess) had decided that the game time would be frozen too until the situation change.

I must say that to make PS a game which really moves forward in terms of storyline and internal calendar, we'd need quests to regularly change (or even, for most of them to be shareable between players but doable only once, just like events). Unfortunately this would be awfully difficult to do, even with a much greater and more available devs team.
Still as long as it is not the case, both having a frozen calendar and an evolving calendar create paradoxes since player storylines change while game storylines don't. :/
Aeghiss Rubinhertz, Ynnwn student at the University of Yliakum.
Melodria Palir, Enkidukai would-be Graalahkam-maarhe.