Author Topic: More on Pking  (Read 5155 times)

Cabra

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2003, 03:45:21 am »
Mehallie, I\'m trying to be productive here, I think that pvp IS a very important part of a mmorpg. I also feel that the current way of implementing it is not adequate. Can you convince me that trading will be adversely effected by this or will you continue to make stupid sarcastic commentaries about stuff that has already been written. I strongly feel that this could enhance this game. Btw, The game does look like it has tremendous potential and from what I\'ve seen so far many things seem based on sound ideas. But this guild arena combat seems like a real cop-out. Btw when you said possibly over 50 percent arena, were you talking about full on non consentual pvp without consequences? or that only guilds at war could pvp there?

paxx

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2003, 04:34:43 am »
Ok, I?ll clear this last thing up?and this is it, because now I feel stupid going on with this, it is truly pointless to continue until the game is in beta.

50% of the land in the game means 50% of all the land in the game will probably be open to guilds having at each other in some way or another if they are at war, or at least hostile to each other.

This may or not be implemented as written depending on how things in beta goes.

Beta will not happen till many other things are resolved, like combat and equipment?so perhaps ask again in 14 months.

We will not have any consequences for a legal PK and no consequences for illegal PK (there won?t be any) some guilds may even choose to be at war with everyone, thus allowing all war type guilds to be killed by them or to kill them?but that will have to be tested and tried, I am sure it will not be as simple as that.

I have not said Arenas will be the only place guilds can kill each other, the arenas will have different settings and some will be a free for all grand melee, others where you can group will have group on group abilities?others only those of different races or different guilds can attack each other?the possibilities boggle the mind.

As for 90% of the other possible ways to implement PvP it will not be done. No one will be able to pick a player at random and kill them, except in arenas meant for that?the world will have more order then that.

As for your concept that finding someone is hard?it is not a factor because it won?t happen, but in other games with PvP servers?it is done on a regular basis.

If you want PvP there are plenty of other choices, we simply do not want to deal with the grief and the many balancing factors that come with PvP. This is a game about community, not about getting jollies killing people because they pissed you off, you will be able to ignore them.

As for enhancing the game?PvP can enhance many games but this is one that will not feature it. There are many things I feel would enhance many games, but you can?t have all the bells and whistles in a game or you just have a lot of bells and whistles and not a game.

I do not see an issue with this stance, it is simply not going to be there. I personally would love to play a GTA MMORPG, but this is not it nor will it be.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2003, 04:36:30 am by paxx »
-Paxx

Vengeance

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2003, 08:42:07 am »
I think Cabra, Hook, and Kinoss should band together and make their own game with the PvP the way they want it.  And I think those of us on the team spending 1000\'s of hours on Planeshift should make it the way we want it. :-)

Fanomatic2000

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2003, 11:16:07 am »
That settles the question doesn\'t it? (c=
I still wanna see a KO option though (just for bar-fights, no killing, no stealing, just as a mini-game and for fun) I mean, what\'s a tavern without fights? If two people gets mad at each other (or just to decide who\'s the strongest) they should be able to ask the other player for a bar fight (hand-to-hand fighting). The game ends when one of the players gets knocked to the ground. The loser loses some HP (and some honor ;) ) but just if the HP regenerates.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2003, 11:24:40 am by Fanomatic2000 »

Be a member of our Mirthful community.
Join us today!   :]

Note:  This is my old account. I am now known as \"Jadd\".

Kinoss

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Vengeance?
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2003, 11:56:49 am »
why are you picking on me Vengeance? I only wanted to input my ideas, I just wanted to be a little productive and reply in a post.  ;(  Me! im never going to PK! Why are you picking on me!

Kiern

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2003, 04:15:13 pm »
All venge is saying is that there is no way that it will be in the game unles THEY want it to, because their the ones doing the work, and if you want pking make a game with pking yourself, he\'s not really picking on you just telling you that is the only way you would be able to openly PK

Originally posted by Fanomatic2000
I mean, what\'s a tavern without fights?

I posted an idea sort of like this a while ago..you could buy certain areas (such as a part of your tavern) and make it so it was sort of like a mini arena, and people fought there
« Last Edit: March 28, 2003, 04:16:37 pm by Kiern »

kyp14

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2003, 03:51:14 am »
I think telling people to go make there own game is a bit harsh not everyone can code like you guys + you guys made this part of the forum so you could harvest your communitys ideas, I say don\'t bother telling people to make there own game if the team doesn\'t like the idea just ignore it don\'t tell them there ideas are lame cause that\'s not really how you should treat the people that are gonna make your game shine in it\'s glory by actually playing it

anyway I have full confidence that the Dev team know what there doing and are going to make somthing very fun to play great work guys :D  

acraig

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2003, 04:27:58 am »
Originally posted by kyp14
I think telling people to go make there own game is a bit harsh not everyone can code like you guys + you guys made this part of the forum so you could harvest your communitys ideas,

It may be harsh but ultimately true.   We do listen to all ideas that the community has to offer but we will pick the ones that we like best.   Does that mean that the ones we don\'t like/use are bad?  No ( well, some of them are bad :) ).  It just means that we feel that they are not right for the game that we are trying to build.

anyway I have full confidence that the Dev team know what there doing and are going to make somthing very fun to play great work guys :D  

I think that\'s what it comes down to.  People have to trust us to make a game that doesn\'t suck :).  If somebody thinks it will because we don\'t implement a certain idea or handle something in a particular manner then by all means start up your own project.

-----------
Andrew
----------
Andrew
"For all I know, she's lying, everyone's lying; welcome to the Internet"

wiggyworm

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2003, 01:32:57 pm »
Ok so ive already posted summink like this before but i think that about pking you should be able to sign up somewhere say like a town hall ( :P i dunno) to be allowed to pk the catch is you can only kill other people who have signed up this way high level players cant pray on weaker players unless those players have signed up. This way you can choose to participate in the pvp killings or not, also this would work the same with thieving only being allowed to steal off of people who have signed up and they couldnt steal off of you unless you signed up.  

Ravenmaster

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2003, 01:49:09 pm »
These are all grand ideas guys. But very few people are listening to acraig, paxx and Vengeance.  This stuff has already been decided.  Your ideas (although they may be great) will not really be useful to post.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2003, 01:50:20 pm by Ravenmaster »
You are here,
You will always be here,
You will never be there.
Although you may strive to get there,
upon reaching there you will realize you are really here.
And there is everywhere else.
-Spoonjoppa

Jalix Amundus

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2003, 11:23:19 pm »
I definitely hope the tradeskills will be a major thing. I plan on mining and forging my own materials, but the main reason I\'m putting up a post is just to say that I like the idea of there being little or no pking in most areas of the game except far from cities or maybe some other more dangerous areas such as dark alleys, as someone said earlier in this thread, but I can\'t see who...sorry not to give you direct credit...
...hehe...elipses...hehe......weeeee....I like elipses.....fun fun elipses.........elipses is like...elispsesish.....okay...I\'m done now...gah...just did it again...ah man...there it was again...I keep doing it...NUUUU!!!! There...all better...oh wha? NO! :D I\'m okay now...or not...

AendarCallenlasse

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2003, 02:04:57 am »
You know I\'ve seen a lot about pking making it more realistic.  So here\'s an idea, if pking is allowed, anyone who kills another player and is caught should be thrown in jail for say 20 years or so.  And if a guard or some sort of official kills them they can not bring the character back.  hows that for a realistic pking idea?  That\'d put a damper on things.

Only n00bs don't quote themselves...
<Aendar>...

explorer

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2003, 03:00:48 am »
In another thread I put this idea, they get caught, either executed on the spot and keeps getting executed every time seen by every pk they did, another was paying a VERY BIG FINE, and if the fine cant be paid, all money that person tries to buy something with/deposit gets taken, and given to where ever it goes... Another was that their caught, and put into some portal into a VERY hard-to-get-out-of place with lots of nearly impossible to kill baddies.
Terragen manipulator, photoshop wannabe.

Planeshift name: Demoritus, but you can call me \"god\"
Avast.

Jalix Amundus

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2003, 12:38:55 pm »
Hey wiggyworm, I like that idea, except for the stealing part. I think you should sign up for PvP, and that would include stealing. Not that anyone really cares...as has been said above, I just enjoy this topic, and I think that would work well, because if you dont like PvP, then just don\'t sign up and that\'s that...
...hehe...elipses...hehe......weeeee....I like elipses.....fun fun elipses.........elipses is like...elispsesish.....okay...I\'m done now...gah...just did it again...ah man...there it was again...I keep doing it...NUUUU!!!! There...all better...oh wha? NO! :D I\'m okay now...or not...

Kiva

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2003, 06:56:12 pm »
Originally posted by explorer
In another thread I put this idea, they get caught, either executed on the spot and keeps getting executed every time seen by every pk they did, another was paying a VERY BIG FINE, and if the fine cant be paid, all money that person tries to buy something with/deposit gets taken, and given to where ever it goes... Another was that their caught, and put into some portal into a VERY hard-to-get-out-of place with lots of nearly impossible to kill baddies.

No PK\'ing! Read! READ!! ... :P
\"Somewhere over the rainbow...\"