Author Topic: Pick pocketing  (Read 4434 times)

sashok

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2003, 12:50:11 am »
Look what I had to say bout it, I think this is the best solution.  But this relies greatly on how Pking is done.

http://www.planeshift3d.com/wbboard/thread.php?threadid=5105&boardid=21&styleid=3&sid=15df333786576c14e4308582e3b83a1f

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Faramir
well just to say : I know it is supported by many users but thieves and so on...reaaly could spoil the pleasure : imagine you found a magical item somewhere and then \" you have been stolen xxx\"...

I mean u spend so much time building a good player, you don\'t want to see your work being destroyed by a thief ;

And avoiding thievery would on the other side encourage commercial exchanges, people selling rare items and so on !!! really better than stealing isn\'t it ?
And also more \"community friendly\" no?

Really this won\'t be a gameplay loss to avoid thievery, as long as you developp alternative ways of exchange just as the ability to run a shop who knows and so on .........

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Add to my solution.  
When a thief steals, he can only reach items in your inventory, but not the items that are equipped. Duh

So if you have a valuable item, it\'s a good idea to equip it or not carry it around at all.

Tranor

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2003, 02:04:08 am »
My views on it are that you should only be able to Pickpocket higher or equal level players as yourself and NPC\'s! And to add to that i also think that if you are reported you can have a bounty put oon your head so people can get money of those who stole money from them! plus the thief would do a little hard time or pay a fine!
..:Tranor:..

leach117

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2003, 11:56:46 am »
Thieving should only be allowable to npcs. Some quests will probably require you to have a bunch of cheap items and you are on your way to turn them in when someone steals one thing and you have to go out and find it again. I think there should be no pc theiving.
\"He who watches their back greet death from the front!\"
Uknown.

Davis

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2003, 01:07:50 pm »
No, I haven\'t read all the posts.
Here\'s my opinion:
You should be able to pick pocket players, but it is HARD, and you can only take money, and only in small amounts. This is what the bank is for, people. (There will be a bank, right?)

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2003, 05:05:53 pm »
Originally posted by Davis
You should be able to pick pocket players, but it is HARD, and you can only take money, and only in small amounts. This is what the bank is for, people. (There will be a bank, right?)

Lots of people have said the same thing, and it probably will be quite hard to do.
And yes I think there will be banks of some kind.

derwoodly

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2003, 04:16:42 am »
I like the soul binding thing Moogie.

I would not even need to wory about catching the thief if all my items were soul bound.  

What do you think Drixler? would you still want to be a thief if you could only steal items that people have not soul bound?

Maybe Drixler would hang arround and pick pocket Moogies new item right as she looted it and before she could soul bind it.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2003, 04:18:03 am by derwoodly »

derwoodly

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2003, 07:29:05 am »
Sorry Drilixer,  if I could edit the previous post twice I would correct the spelling of your name.  What do you expect from someone using a name like derwoodly.  Should change it to D\'oh!

lynx_lupo

• Veteran
  • Sorbus aria!
    • View Profile
    • Linux pri nas
(No subject)
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2003, 12:30:23 pm »
If a char doesn\'t get somehow notified about having lost an item to a pickpocket, players will complain and whine \"WTF has happened to my equipment...\" and mistake pp for bugs.

This could be fixed by letting the pp-ed equipment in the inventory for a while(till the char opens it), bearing a pp tag. When a char would open his inventory a popup would state what has been stolen...

I like Mogura\'s and Zak\'s ideas.
"Amor sceleratus habendi"- Ovid
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you eat them." -Godzilla

Maldore

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2003, 01:31:21 pm »
id have to say thats a good idea, disapearing items can be a pain :p

but how are they gona work it if they get caught pp\'in??
No One Dies A Virgin, Cos In The End Life F**ks Us All!

Tyriel

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
C'mon people...why u saying this
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2003, 09:10:22 am »
I have read all the posts and have to say...what are u all like good and justful knights??..I mean please havent u feel the staisfaction of being a silent thief hwo lurks in the shadows and carefully chooses his pray..then some stealthy moves and the pray has been hunt down and swift hand removed all the valubles..

I can understand that we have to stay in the laws of physics like U cant steal a shirt of the mans back or a belt on his hip...or the sword on his hand but anything small from the inventory...gold,food,gems,magic items..
I know the feeling when someone takes ur precios thing away but hey ..its a game and that means U have to keep ur eyes more open next time...
I know these noble warrior types..thay deal with different aspects of the game like killing monsters,doing guest,searching treasures,living and moveing at daylight or whatever..but I know that theves life is full of dangers and adventures...
Now..I myself work with the rule \"honor among thieves\"
I know it could make u very angry when some noob have just stole ur items...but that should be corrected with other laws like:
1) Only a high lvl thief can steal good items and vanish with them into the night
2)When thief is cought by the act of theft whe can be killed or thrown to jail ..and all the things got back for him+the items thief posessed
3)after u find something missing,u can place a bounty on the thief(even if u dont know who took it still the thief feels that there is been posted up a looking sign and then all these good and noble chars. can come and beat up the boor thief who was just makeing a living)
4)Now about the noob thing...I can play a master thief char. respecting the aspects of the danger and the players who I carefully look...Pickpocketing should only be done when the player is standing in one place(u cant take things while on moveing)..and thats hard when the char uses the 3D view from behind..
5)thiefing should be allowed everywhere but the rule of \"only thy who Is worthy on looking other mans pocket can take what is not his\" U have to work hard to be a good thief and have lot of exp with this kind of things

If the thiefing skill is not going to be in PS then I think theres no point for me to play...I can be very trustful guy ..and honorbul..I mean If I have that much luck that If I get to steal someones \"precious,loved,very hard work\"item..I would give it back..no,honeslty..
All im saying that thiefing should be allowed but it should be HARD...

Thank U and visit me at the http://www.swordofsilence.tk for the adventure and life of the thieves \"Honest and professional thieves\" :)
\"I have the power to take everything from you.. Including your life\"

Guild for Warriors and Thieves..Guild for adventurers of Strenght and Dexterity-- Portal to our realm http://www.swordofsilence.tk

Kiva

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2003, 06:29:42 am »
Why shouldn\'t it be possible to steal a belt that someone is wearing? You just need to cut it up in front. Then you can run away with money, belt, ingredient pouches, or maybe even a sheathed sword... However, you\'d bettr develop those running skills first, as I\'m sure anyone would notice if their belt suddenly disappears. :)

As for the pickpocketing in general. Maybe you could just recieve a message saying \"You suddenly feel lighter than usual\" or \"You feel someone is pulling your backpack\" etc, and then you\'d turn around and say \"Hey! Sto*cough* *eat a vics blue* STOP THE THIEF!\" and everyone would go like *swooosh* and the thief would be beaten down by someone holding a wooden log. :D

Edit: Or maybe just be beaten down by everyone watching. :P I\'m quite sure that anyone would love to have the chance of beating up some random thief for doing some random thieving.

But to whoever said something about Shadowbane. Shadowbane is bad. PlaneShift isn\'t Shadowbane, and PlaneShift doesn\'t have stickers that\'ll tell what class you\'re playing so in PlaneShift you can\'t see that some guy over there is a warrior or that guy by the fountain is a mage, unless you look at their clothes. But some warriors might dress as thieves, or thieves might even dress up as nobles. You never know. :)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2003, 06:32:11 am by Kiva »
\"Somewhere over the rainbow...\"

Tyriel

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2003, 11:13:14 am »
Good point...and now u see...thiefing can be very hard...but that is the reason that says \"PICK POCKETING should be allowed..everywhere\"
\"I have the power to take everything from you.. Including your life\"

Guild for Warriors and Thieves..Guild for adventurers of Strenght and Dexterity-- Portal to our realm http://www.swordofsilence.tk

Junilia

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2004, 10:54:50 pm »
Ive got a few ideas to counter all the pick pocketing stuff.

HOW can you keep your eyes open its not like you can feel the other people coming or have eyes at the back of your head :P.

Also how do you know hes pick pocketing you its not like you have your eye on your inventory every second and he is just moving close to you.

What happens if someone is choosing something in a shop and doesnt even know he is getting pick pocketed!

If someone took your belt how would you know it got stolen? Would you look ahead to see where you are going or look at your belt everywhere you go?

If there is pick pocketing then there will be no afking, choosing items from a shop and looking at your loot because you could be stolen from.

Even your friend could be stealing from you because you dont even know him/her. You could go and get something to eat and then he/she would try to pick pocket you and then when you come back and look at your inventory you see something gone and you tell your \"friend\" your friend then says \"oh i says a person walk by i think he was the person who stole it!\"  X(

We might make it that you cant steal when he is moving but The person might make it to run around in circles again and again. So they can steal from him so then everybody learns the idea of running around in circles.  the Thiefs cant learn a living any more. :P

I think that we should be able to steal any thing big like a weapon and steal small things like small amounts of gold(10 or more if more skilled) some food, maybe if your REALLY lucky some gems, rings and amulets. I think that IF you can steal from a person that person can only get stolen once a day so if a person is afking then get stolen by everybody.

I think that you should mostly be able to steal from NPCs like if its a black smith you get some pieces of metal and get gold from any NPC.

To make it fair for everybody, everybody can steal once on one person a day not the person get stolen from once a day. But there is another problem When does the day finish?! Remember we are everywhere around the world time is different. So you can steal from the NPC once after 12 hours and then it repeats.

PS: stealing from a REAL person should be once after 24 hours

These are my ideas  :] :D
« Last Edit: January 16, 2004, 11:05:02 pm by Junilia »
- Junilia says,\"Hello!\"
- Junilya grins and shouts,\"
Hey there!\" :D

Sunken

• Traveller
    • View Profile
SAY YES TO THE PICKING-PLAYER-POCKETS
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2004, 12:09:52 am »
Yeah, kill the stupid thief is right, and restrict the robberry only to the night, is a way to no be a \"allday\" \'grand theft auto\'
But have a pickingpocket without picking-players-pocket is so boring.

La zCoCoz

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2004, 04:30:48 pm »
i said yes if i can kill the thief
but it should work like this, if you get stolen from and cant get the thief well to bad you lost an item maybe it was good maybe it sucked if you catch the thief you get back what he/she stole and another random item he/she has