Author Topic: Open PKing  (Read 3497 times)

leuxast

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2004, 04:36:11 pm »
Im up for it everywhere this would add a great realism factor to planeshift \'\'final release\'\' (not that there will be one) yet it would have to be strongly discouraged by having something like a reputation factor (good idea ESB) or maybe that you could kill someone who you saw pkying and not be punished for the kill. is this idea possible?
\"Light a man a fire and you keep him warm for a night,
Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life!\"
Tybalt the Red Monk

Oriel

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2004, 06:51:50 pm »
I agree. I\'ve played many games where the atmosphere has been ruined by too much light. It sucks if you can see the scary things or monsters sneaking up on you from a mile away. Same thing for pvp.

I also love open player vs player combat. It adds a lot of depth to the game and a sense of danger at every corner. I think theiving also adds a spice of adventure to things. Put them both in! :)

Someone mentioned pk\'s camping the newbie zone. Well, just make the newbie zone pk-free, and possibly the path leading to the newbie zone pk-free. Problem solved.

Towns or cities should be guarded to prevent fighting in the towns, so people can have some safe haven. Maybe people who pk too much aren\'t allowed into most towns because of their bad reputation.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2004, 06:54:53 pm by Oriel »

Efflixi Aduro

• Veteran
  • O_o
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2004, 09:33:18 pm »
Well first off. Who brought back my old thread? Good job ;)

The best thing iv heard of as a solution top open PK is that once you are a certain distance from a city you are in a \"free land\" full of outlaws etc. with no rules  or laws :)
Kinda like taking a boat to the middle of the pacific...
But the devs already said there wouldnt be open Pk :( to bad I guess
Lol Internet

Bjorn

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2004, 10:34:40 am »
I personally would like some PKing, though not overwhelming. I think we should have some kind of \"outlaw village\" were laws don\'t abide and everyone can kill everyone that is a certain level around theirs. Like a level cap.
We should also keep the colliseum (It\'s kind of late to take it away now isn\'t it?)
If you see someone going around talking about their \'+1 silk underpants\', you would take it as a joke at first and later wonder about their mental status
- ZpTyZ

swift

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2004, 04:35:01 pm »
I would recommend that there should be areas in planeshift where player killing is possible.  (Outside of the arenas, fighing dens etc)

However people should not be allowed to kill others whenever they like (guess why).  So I suggest that there should be roads between the cities on which travellers are safe.  These roads should be patrolled by a police force to add realism.  

If travellers choose to stray from the roads they can be killed by other players, who should not lose reputation etc as nobody else saw the deed take place.  This avoids the need for an unrealistic \"Wilderness Level\" system.  If a weak player (note that i did not say noob) is caught in an uninhabited area by a malevolent stronger player the stronger player should be allowed to kill them.  New players / non combatant players / players carrying valuable goods can stay on the road and hence be safe.  

I would also suggest that there be \"bad districts\" in towns and villages where robbery, murder, mugging etc can take place without much chance of being caught.  Players caught should be dealt with harshly by the  (npc) catcher, who may fine, jail or kill them.
Ingame Names (CB) : Calcius Sakor, Timgiffney Calcior

Dauntless

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2004, 07:57:52 am »
I think swift and Bjorn have great ideas.
I like the idea of a \"outlaw village\", it will be like a pirate\'s island in the \"Pirates of the Caribbean\". Only creme de la creme of the thives will be there :P and every noob will be curious what\'s insite (but they will have to wait until they will be high level enough or try there luck now ;) ). And safe roads + danger outside from the road = nice PK :D

Efflixi Aduro

• Veteran
  • O_o
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2004, 07:18:35 pm »
I put an outlaw city thread on the wishlist a while back, I dont remember what ended up happening though...
Lol Internet

Toadhead

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2004, 02:01:42 pm »
Originally posted by Xordan
Open PVP isn\'t that good, seeing as there will always be people camping near newbie zones waiting to pick off the weaker people over and over again, griefing the other players, which isn\'t good.

The weaker people (for example the civilians who can\'t fight, but just earn money with jobs like blacksmith, miner etc.), should stay in the cities.

If this weaker people want to go out they should run as hard as they can when there bandits waiting for him :P

And ofcourse the best solution would be to hire a mercenary, I mean what the hell are we mercenaries supposed to do if there is no fighting in PS :S (Only duels were both players want to fight like in arena;s and special events).

You should be able to fight ANYWERE, noyl in cities there will be guards walking around. When someone is attacking you you should just typ \"guards\" in the chat and some guards will help you and kill/jail the crimiminal.

This is also a good solution for people that are afk that are blocking the road with solid models. If someone is blocking the road just kill him if he\'s afk, I mean if he is afk he cant call the guards so you wont get punished :)

Edited for language.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 09:50:52 pm by Karyuu »

Diamondcite

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2004, 03:17:19 pm »
Originally posted by Toadhead
Originally posted by Xordan
Open PVP isn\'t that good, seeing as there will always be people camping near newbie zones waiting to pick off the weaker people over and over again, griefing the other players, which isn\'t good.

The weaker people (for example the civilians who can\'t fight, but just earn money with jobs like blacksmith, miner etc.), should stay in the cities.

If this weaker people want to go out they should run as hard as they can when there bandits waiting for him :P

And ofcourse the best solution would be to hire a mercenary, I mean what the crap are we mercenaries supposed to do if there is no fighting in PS :S (Only duels were both players want to fight like in arena;s and special events).

You should be able to fight ANYWERE, noyl in cities there will be guards walking around. When someone is attacking you you should just typ \"guards\" in the chat and some guards will help you and kill/jail the crimiminal.

This is also a good solution for people that are afk that are blocking the road with solid models. If someone is blocking the road just kill him if he\'s afk, I mean if he is afk he cant call the guards so you wont get punished :)

I do believe that even new players and non-combatants would like to see the outside world. if you really wish for PKing to be allowed then maybe each destination can have two paths leading to it from one source, players will be encouraged to use the PK friendly path since it\'s shorter distance, while the path that forids PK will take longer.

The models(player characters) will not be solid from what I think I read.

Just to be user friendly I think that a small warning message telling you that you are entering a free PKing zone should be displayed whenever you enter such a zone and a similar message be given when leaving.

As for switch from PK to nonPK and vive versa.... I would like to recommend a mode switching time... say 30 seconds to a minute (or 5-10 turns) this way players can\'t be cheap and walk back into the non-PK zone whenever they are or are about to be hurt.
In this method, it gives people entering the PK zone a chance to get some distance between them and the harvesters, also allows players who are engaged in combat to chase their target into a non-pk area and finish them off(since the player seemed to have accepted it, he had his time to not enter the PK zone in the first place.)

Edited for language in original quote.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 09:50:29 pm by Karyuu »
I like taking things literally, going overboard is fun! Now... why do I keep getting odd looks?

swift

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2004, 04:13:34 pm »
Personally I don\'t think we will need a notice to tell players \"You are now entering a pvp zone.  Stay Safe\" The landscape, music and lack of people should convey that the area is not safe.  That way we don\'t ruin the realism.

Diamondcite

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2004, 06:37:52 pm »
Originally posted by swift
Personally I don\'t think we will need a notice to tell players \"You are now entering a pvp zone.  Stay Safe\" The landscape, music and lack of people should convey that the area is not safe.  That way we don\'t ruin the realism.

The notice does seem to be going overboard, I guess I just hoped for some sort of indication that a player can check at will.

Landscape and music can be learned and adapted to, but lack of people can often happen in obscure areas. It doesn\'t have to make a noticed as drastic as you claim. Maybe a simple icon or even a sign on the ground (can contain something like \"Bandits ahead\").
I like taking things literally, going overboard is fun! Now... why do I keep getting odd looks?

KougrA

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2004, 07:00:55 pm »
i both like PK and not... i think that PKing should be possible but a crime so that the one that got killed can go to the police office or whatever it is going to be called and report the crime and that way the police is placing a price for catching him.... and there should be a time limit on when you can kill a player maybe one new player a day walks out in the forest where a PK\'er/robber is waiting but he cant attack because the player needs to be at least a week old or something so that he can get familiar with the game before really begining every thing, so there will be no need for a sign where it reads Now entering PK area as everything is PK area but if a highly skilled player would walk out in the forest with his everyday clothes then it would even be risky for the PK\'er to attack, but he can of course not see that it is a highly skilled player so he attacks and dies and that would make it very risky for every one to be a PK\'er so if PS just could make PK\'ing so risky that not many would choose to PK except in Arenas and stuff like that then it would be cool for every one...so

------

PK\'ing is a crime
PK\'ing is very risky as you dont know who you are attacking
PK\'ing can happen anywhere except in cities
PK\'ing can only happen to players over a week old
PK\'ing is legal in Arenas and stuff
Kougra -

Efflixi Aduro

• Veteran
  • O_o
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2004, 01:11:07 am »
I think open Pk would be pretty much the biggest thing you could add to the Rp elements of ps.  People like mercants and stuff who need transport to another city with more open trade could hire a merc.  Assasins cpould be waiting around any corner for a PS politician (yes there will be those). There are endless possabilities of what it could do. Not just people running around killing anyone. The devs should really reconsider open PK. Maybe they could try it for a week or two and see how it goes or somthing.
Lol Internet

err... dunno

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2004, 04:08:01 pm »
I really don\'t agree with this.

It only seems that \'pkers\' are benifiting from this.

I think that some areas should be an area wher eyou can attack but not all. The area you want to be able to attack in is a raver large area. And when youi talking about the nightvision stuff, i highly disagree.

How are people who arnt bandits and thievs going to benfit from anything ike this?

This also sounds an awful lot like runescape, being restricted areas to pk in, being marked if you attack someone. I believe that it should sorta be like that, maybe not being marked and losing everything if you die, becasue that is how you make your living on this game :D But, restricted areas there should be.

swift

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2004, 05:54:32 pm »
How do you propose bringing in a system to restrict pking ?

I don\'t like the simple \"wildy level\" system in runescape at all - totally unrealistic.  

A \"maybe I\'ll be caught\" system could work though, but it might be hard to implement realistically.  

What do you suggest?