Author Topic: Open PKing  (Read 3498 times)

Diamondcite

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2004, 08:01:25 pm »
Maybe rules can be enforeced by a grand observer NPC, they can\'t be killed and observe a wide area.

A day is 24 hours, they take two 1 hour breaks a day, there by allowing for a thief/bandit/Pker to kill freely without being caught. Course to keep the risk up, the break times are entirely random and determined at the begining of the day. People who don\'t PvP will need some sort of protection... maybe those can see marked PKers after they visit a specific building (a police station like area where a list of killers are listed).

If you are caught by the observe to be PKing then you will automatically appear in the wanted list with an incremental bounty depending on how much you kill and how powerful a person tou have killed, this lets bounty hunters have fun and a valid job.
To not be marked by the observer as a PKer you must challenge that player for a formal duel, in such an event, neither side will be marked for PKing.

A rule should be placed so that it\'s the person who initiates the attack against another player first that ends up on the wanted poster. After all... it would suck if a merchant became wanted just because he killed a bandit in self defense.
The marker on a PKer can either dissapear after a set time (maybe 3 days to a week?) or assuming a set bounty deduction rate, when the bounty hits 0.

EDIT: PS. I have never played an MMORPG in full before, so I am making all this up and I don\'t know how well it would work... I tried to reason it out as best I could.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 08:02:25 pm by Diamondcite »
I like taking things literally, going overboard is fun! Now... why do I keep getting odd looks?

swift

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2004, 10:16:30 pm »
The problem with a \"Grand Observer\" npc is that, if implemented as you suggested, pking will only be allowed for an hour or two every day.  Aside from being incredibly unrealistic, this would have numerous problems for non-us/Europe players.  As the random times would have to coincide with popular playing times in the US and Europe, the \"pk-ok\" times would probably end up in the middle of my night.  

However I strongly support the idea of only marking players who are \"caught\".  This would make a new sort of bounty hunting that has never (to my knowledge) been implemented.
Ingame Names (CB) : Calcius Sakor, Timgiffney Calcior

Diamondcite

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2004, 12:08:48 am »
I was thinking of a planeshift hour...
1 PS day only lasts 24 minutes or so.
I suppose 1 minute isn\'t enough to make a kill? Though all that is required is that you START the attack while he is away.

The grand observer NPC doesn\'t actually exist, it\'s just story content, the actual monitoring will be done by the server.

This would give almost any player a chance during their short playing cycle...

I think the number of breaks he can take shouldn\'t exceed 5, since then it increases the chance of him not noticing by quite a bit.
I like taking things literally, going overboard is fun! Now... why do I keep getting odd looks?

Cybio Kingfist

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2004, 11:01:03 pm »
No PKing.
PKing is stupid.
Arguments will have my foot painfully introduced to their rhumps.
The steel priest is back and ready to start converting.

Spazztic2003

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2005, 09:51:20 am »
I like the open PvP idea, but then I get memories of playing ShadowBane.  Man, crazy times.  If you were under level 50, you\'d be the 1st guy they targeted.  The whole land was open PvP, and you\'d grow to hate the game if you weren\'t strong enough to defend yourself.  You ALWAYS had to be with a group or with your guild.  Traumatic and boring experience.

I\'m sure PlaneShift will have a different PvP engine from ShadowBane\'s, and I\'d be willing to give it a shot.

What I think should happen, is like this:

Keep the newbie areas closed PvP so the low levels can get some XP without dying every minute from bloodthirsty PKers.  Make pretty much everything open.

That would be pretty cool, because you have to watch your back for Thieves and Assassins, or a giant group of 20+ people stomping their way through the land.  Just thinking about it makes me drool for combat >=D

Black_rose

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • If I could I would, but I don't know how.
    • View Profile
    • My myspace is all I have
(No subject)
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2005, 05:57:07 pm »
well, how about servers that you assign your char to, you could swap servers with a decent reason (i miss my friend, we are on diferent servers) or (im sick of being pked) their could be 3 server types.

safe (no pvp)
mid (some outside of town)
true (anywhere, anytime)

of course their would be several places and then their is the huge world to come so that will make different player types (personallities) stick together with certain other types. i love being the protecter and the low level who saves an even lower lvl from a high lvl by jumping infront and attacking. i also love having the privilage to fight anyone at anytime and to be the one who joins in the fight against the mass pker. man i miss old tibia :P

but really think of that. open everything. also adding \"fast hands\" would be a fun game.

but b.o.t.
i would always love to be the defender. or the grunt in a huge clan (not guild since a guild is like a hq) that takes over planeshift.
that would be cool if plainshift was occupied by a player run army. it would be fun if the devs and gms would take no part in the fightin of that and let the players fight. think of it people would be angry
then they would fight off the occupation.. wars in ps
KABLUMMPPP!

MercenaryVII

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2005, 09:44:32 am »
i thought planeshift didnt want seperate servers so they could keep the community together?

Black_rose

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2005, 12:15:00 pm »
it would probably encourage people to rp in groups to, they would meet people in their skill range and lvl together..... and i said before it would be changeable
KABLUMMPPP!

MercenaryVII

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2005, 04:12:14 am »
the being able to change has nothin to do with it.

as moogie said in the tabocco thread:
Originally posted by Moogie
There won\'t be more than one server. The devs want to keep it one server = one community.

Black_rose

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2005, 09:26:57 pm »
well, if you add this along with their some day adding of real time combat, it would be awsome. a player might not be the one who would fight, it would encourage groups as i said before (like a raid on a caravan) it could encourage people to train on combat abilites like not just skills but their human interface abilities (like button control ect. ect.) think about these ;)
KABLUMMPPP!

Jakob

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2005, 07:36:32 pm »
Originally posted by FESFES
... whole area outside the city limits would be an open PK area.  This way we could have \"a land of the bandits\" and instead of PKing being a rare and horrable thing to do it would be a commen thing done by the bandits and theives.  This would encourage being in a party or staying with your guild outside the city walls.  I also reccomend that when you get PKed you lose like ten tria and the person who killed you gets it.  Also, to make the night a scary time.  To do this i reccomend to make it really dark (just barly enough to see) so PKers could hide in the shadows.  In other words i want to see the land out side the city to become a dangerous place.

I think this is a good idea, but I think a better way to do it would be for a \"Bounty\" system.  make it \"illegal\" to kill players outside the city but possible.  The killed player should lose *something,* but the PKer should gain a price on his head.  A bounty hunter who manages to kill the PKer should be able to go to a bounty office and get their money and be cleared of all charges of PKing.  As a PKer kills more people the price on their head should go up, and after the bounty is collected they should lose their weapon/glyphs as appropriate for the number of kills ie 1-3 kills nothing, 4-8 kills one weapon, 8-15 kills 2 weapons/glyphs, 16-20 kills 1/2 of all glyphs and weapons, 21+ kills all weapons/glyphs and 50% of total value after loss of weapons/glyphs deducted from Tria, without negative numbers.  My numbers are prolly low, but it would be hard to kill alot of people since there will be alot of bounty hunters under a system like this.  It would also make it almost imperative that a PKer have some stealth skill and be very observant...

EDIT: I missed the second page of this thread, so I have alot of ideas previously mentioned but also a few that haven\'t been.  BTW, I completely agree that the \"game that shall not be named\" *cough*RS*cough* has a riduculous pking system...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2005, 07:44:35 pm by Jakob »

I am Arew Silverwing, and one day I will rule the WORLD!:D
All y\'all stick yourselves onto the board.

Efflixi Aduro

• Veteran
  • O_o
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2005, 07:50:42 pm »
Ya tell me about it. The whole game is groups going around PKing eachother. And if thats what the devs are afraid of from open PK it can be easly avoided. We have had harder times in this community I think we can \"extract\" the RS-type players from here and have a great PK system.
Lol Internet

Black_rose

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2005, 12:46:31 am »
Originally posted by Cybio Kingfist
If it were to be open PvP, it would obviously only be in certain areas, otherwise it would be like I first imaged CB-constant noob slaughter covering the streets as mobs of desperate new players rush on for bloodshed.

thats where real time combat comes in! that way noobs would not just be something to kill!! but players with un-known skills....

sorry to bump, i just have been away for a really long time
KABLUMMPPP!

derwoodly

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2005, 01:24:02 am »
I would like to see some form of open PvP.  But just having a bounty hunter system will not solve the \"grieving\".  It is very hard to kill a player who is not online.   Most Pkers log off after a kill.  

Mercenarys will not protect you from Pkers.  Low level players   get killed very fast.  Having a guard, just means the Pkers will have to be high enough in level to kill or escape from the hired mercenaries after they have killed you.