Author Topic: Good start, here are some suggestions.  (Read 350 times)

Svetlana

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Good start, here are some suggestions.
« on: August 20, 2002, 01:03:51 am »
I know this only a very early alpha version, but here are a list of things I would like to see in the game and why.

1. 3rd perspective camera angle(like over the should and in the air a bit) Better than this would the ability to control the position of the camera anywhere within 20 clicks of your character model.

2.I know the chat system is still alpha too, but the Enter key isn\'t being used for anything currently and it would be very easy to hit enter once to activate chat modetype what you like, hit enter to send it to the console, then you are ready to type more, or if you like you can hit Enter again and return to normal game mode.  This will speed thigns up if the battles are fast-paced and you need to type something quickly to your partner, instead of having to click on the conole.

3. The ability within the client startup menu to change from Software mode to OpenGL mode after you have chosen one already.  I am stuck in OpenGL mode right now and can\'t figure out how to try out the SafeMode version.

4. The dwarf model looks pretty cool, but the way he is animated for walking makes it seem flat. I think if you speed up the walking animation by 100% or so and made the camera bounce ever so slightly when he took a step, this would increase the pleasantness of walking around.  Right now it is ok, but I feel like instead of walking I am just sliding my character around the town.

The building models are really nice, especially in the OpenGl mode I was in, as well as the general terrain.  I am interested in how you will implement the battle dynamics and animations.  I am always very curious if you will have to zone into buildings or will you redo the models so they will have an inside that you can walk into.  As it is now you cannot walking into buildings(though you know this).  Zoning is a bad idea, especially if you have too many zones, like with each building being its own zone I think this will be an intense strain on the CPU, though I admit I am just an intermediate programmer and I know very little about game programming.

Other than these points, you are off to a solid start and I hope you keep this dream alive because it is also a great interest to thousands of MMORPG gamers out there, though I do worry that if the project is open source then it could be increasingly easy to create cheats within the software or through hacks.  I onyl wonder how this will be handled.

Good Luck guys and I look forward to the next release...  Hopefully with some sort of bad guys to kill  =)

Lana

Mephisto

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2002, 06:25:33 am »
1. Isn\'t there already a third perspective camera angle?
As far as I know it is, or did you mean another kind of 3d person angle?

2. I think some while back I heard a moderator say that the chat system has been improved for the new version (pressing enter to access it)

3. To start game in software mode go start <- programs <- Planeshift <- safe (slow) mode
That should do it if you want to start in safe mode,
I think it would be more benefitial to start safe mode and opengl mode this way because if somebody tries to change to opengl (ingame) and it doesnt work so he can\'t start game anymore how would he be able to reset it`?
Thats why they have safe mode like this. (I think)

4. Yeah the dwarf kind looks like he has done something in his pants that acctually should have been done in the loo, Don\'t worry though I think they are fixing that animation of his.

The battle mode and stuff is what the development team are trying to figure out right now so I myself can\'t give you any information about it, neither do I know about the building system and how they are gonna do this but I\'m sure they will figure it out just fine.

Hope this answered some of your questions 8)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2002, 06:25:59 am by Mephisto »
-Mephisto

Fantasyfiend

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2002, 02:56:51 am »
Actually, I kind of like th chainmail pants on the dwarve, regardless of his diarrheatic problem, I can\'t seem to use mine in OpenGL, and I think it\'s the laptop.