Author Topic: My thoughts on enchanting&smithing  (Read 2802 times)

Falcon Eyes

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Actually...
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2002, 07:56:37 am »
Originally posted by Lenric
Mithril is spelled  M I T H R I L if you wont take my word for it read some of these books because reading is FUN.

The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien the creater.....of
along with the rest of the Lord of the Rings books.
The Shannara Series by Terry Brooks.
As well as in any AD&D texts,novels,by writers such as Margret Weis,Tracy Hickman,Gary Gygax,Ed Greenwood,R.A Salvatore to name a few.

I\'ve seen Mithril spelled both ways, and since it isn\'t a real substance, if the creaters of the game use it, they could spell it any way they choose.  Or they could have both and give each different properties.

(personally, I perfer the \"i\" spelling, but its just asthetics)

btw, which Shannara books used Mithril and what was the object, I can\'t remeber right now...?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2002, 07:59:58 am by Falcon Eyes »
~F~E~

me, i'm a thief
i'm a falling star
i'm a photograph taken
from where you are
-Sarah Slean

Aruneko

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2002, 03:25:04 pm »
Hmm...  I have a few ideas about mining.  Maybe by rooting through the dirt with a shovel and pick you could acquire some of the weaker materials, such as bronze, copper, iron, etc.  Maybe in some distant corner of the world you could mine and find mythril (a VERY distant corner in the world, and like in the Mines of Moria in Tolkien, it can easily be dangerous)

Also, perhaps you could go adventuring and find yourself battling something like an Adamantite Rock Golem, or something.  You could hack it to pieces and salvage the Adamantite and stick it in your blade.  Hey, maybe your mining skills could give you an advantage in this kind of fight  :)

You should have to search or do some other annoying task in order to find rare ores.  And to get the simpler ones you just have to hike to the mines and maybe defend yourself against any oncoming monsters until you get a full load, or until there\'s no more ores.  Then you would just wait until it re-spawned.