Author Topic: Transportation  (Read 1772 times)

RussianVodka

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Transportation
« on: September 05, 2003, 10:56:11 pm »
I have and idia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (its a miracle.... realy :D )

As the world of planeshift expands, horses (or some other animals of that nature) should be programed into the game. This will make travel over long distances alot faster and easier.

There should also be some dissadvantages to riding a horse in battle, like a minus on defence or something like that.

Q: How many Planeshifters does it take to expalin a simple concept to a newb?
A: Six. Five to argue on who\'s explanation is right, and Moogie to lock the thread.

Wedge

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2003, 12:25:22 am »
If they have any plans for land-based transportation animals, they haven\'t mentioned it yet.  However there is this from the setting section (you should read it if you haven\'t).

\"The fastest way of getting over remarkable distances in a short time is using flying animals: Pterosaurs and Megaras.\"

Also a pulley system for transport will apparentley exist, although I imagine this is more for transport between levels rather than over land, but who knows?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2003, 12:26:08 am by Wedge »
Ninjas have feelings too.  Mostly they feel like dancing.

Tepsu

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2003, 02:55:11 am »
Originally posted by RussianVodka
There should also be some dissadvantages to riding a horse in battle, like a minus on defence or something like that.

Why disadvantage? Wonder why knights etc. used horses so much if it gave them a disadvantage in battle at midages ;P Horses give you an advantage in battle. Horses are big animals and you are in an disadvantage when fighting against mounted enemy.

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2003, 03:05:33 am »
Lol, yeah. The footman has to worry about being trampled by a armoured horse as well as having his head sliced off. A rider should get a bonus of summin, not have a minus.

RussianVodka

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2003, 08:24:58 am »
Well what i meant was, it should be something like this, when on a horse you should be given bonuses in things like agility and maybe strength.....
 But because you have to be balanced on the horse this will take away from ur defence......

Originaly posted by Tepsu
Horses are big animals and you are in an disadvantage when fighting against mounted enemy.

Well technecly if you are an archer and are safly siting in a guard tower with your trusty crossbow...... THE BIGER THE TARGET THE BETTER.

(in short) A rider should get +bonuses for something and -bonuses for others.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2003, 08:26:30 am by RussianVodka »

A: Six. Five to argue on who\'s explanation is right, and Moogie to lock the thread.

Xordan

• Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2003, 12:28:56 pm »
No. lol, not really. U\'r not a bigger target at all. If u\'r horse gets hit u shouldnt take damage. Your horse will take alot of the hits. U stay the same size, and if anything, u move faster so the archer has less time to fire.

Wormtail_

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2003, 12:46:37 pm »
Last time I checked, horses didn\'t charge into a bristling wall of spears. So polearms have an effect on mounted opponents.

Also, if mounts are badly injured, they may throw their rider to the ground, which hurts, and then run off. Or they go mad with rage and start trampling everybdoy in the immediate vicinity to death.

I believe mounts have been discussed at an earlier point under a thread called \"Mounts,\" but still, carriages and chariots, among other things, can also be used for faster land transporation.
You pay the same price for doing something halfway as for doing it completely. So you might as well do it completely.
-Richard Nixon

Despise the enemy and you will lose.
-Li Tien (or Dian)

Join the BISM!

Xordan

• Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2003, 12:48:39 pm »
Yes, then that should be their penalties. lol didnt think of that.

\'Or they go mad with rage and start trampling everybdoy in the immediate vicinity to death.\'

lol, that\'d be funny to watch from a distance.

KwartzTheKran

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2003, 01:29:36 pm »
U r a \'better\' target as u are lifted high above the ground, this is an easier to hit, firing off a horse or mount is usually much much harder, and ground mounts would make u vulnerable to polearms as wormtail said.

This puts me in mind of the famous \'elephants\';
\'Elephants are good, Elephants are impressive, they usually go nuts and trample your own men, but theres no doubting that their impressive...\'

-----I\'LL LEAVE YOU ALL BEHIND-----      ( *hugs Moogie* - sorry )

RussianVodka

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2003, 02:55:06 pm »
Yeah!!!! Lets not use horses as mounts.............

I would much rather have an impressive elephant :D

lostprophet

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2003, 02:57:25 pm »
Hey if you used a confooz spell on an elephant maybe it could gore everyone around it. That would be funny.

derwoodly

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2003, 03:26:22 pm »
A war horse is generally a bunus to a mudane person or creature.  However most RPG characters are much stronger that a whimpy war horse.  Any mage worth his salt can vaporize a war horse out from under a ridder.  A druid class character should be able to charm the beast.

At high levels, or skill points, your mount should be more of a liability than an asset.  Unless your traveling.

Xordan

• Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2003, 03:49:18 pm »
Yes, thats a big disadvantage, but then a horse carrying a druid should have a certain immunaty to charm spells.

Zabulba

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2003, 05:06:07 pm »
I think horses should be used exclusively for transportation. They could be trained by animal trainers. If you want something to help in battles, get a bear or a wolf.
Welcome to Korova Milkbar

Wormtail_

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2003, 08:45:31 pm »
A war horse is generally a bunus to a mudane person or creature. However most RPG characters are much stronger that a whimpy war horse. Any mage worth his salt can vaporize a war horse out from under a ridder. A druid class character should be able to charm the  beast.

War horses aren\'t whimpy. I like horses, so that may explain a few things. Still, if a dark mage vaporized the warhorse, than why didn\'t he hit the rider? As for charming the beast, well, warhorses may become extremely loyal to their rider and become very resistant to outside control.

Anyway, this thread is based on transportation. I think that creatures should not be used exclusively for traveling, but only the rich would probably be able to own one, though. I agree, however, with the animal trainers training the animals for various purposes, though.

Perhaps the race of the character could contribute to whether he/she/it can ride an animal or not. I\'m not sure whether a Kran would be able to ride, say, a giant slug.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2003, 08:45:51 pm by Wormtail_ »
You pay the same price for doing something halfway as for doing it completely. So you might as well do it completely.
-Richard Nixon

Despise the enemy and you will lose.
-Li Tien (or Dian)

Join the BISM!