Author Topic: My thoughts on enchanting&smithing  (Read 2803 times)

Lenric

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2002, 01:34:35 pm »
Originally posted by ninkwi njadro
i couldn\'t care less about how the weapons are made. as long as i can use them.

i like the idea of a logo on your armor. the dragonhide armor is a good idea to but this should be very rare and super strong. U try takin the hide of a dragon without the beast noticing  :D  good luck.

and mithril isn\'t that the very light strong metal?? from lord of the rings?? great movie by the way  :D

Yes the hide of a dragon is most impressive,however they are immense in size unlike drakes thier cousins.
And from time to time need to shed a scale or two there be many ways to aquire what might be needed.

Tearlach t'an Ailech fin Leros

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2002, 01:55:33 pm »
Actually Dragons do not shed their skin, they are not lizards (they are magickal creatures) and if they do they eat their skins afterwards (to get all nutrients that they lost back) it is not known of which method that is true cause no one has ever got a look at a dragon sheding its skin and survived to tell about it.
Join The Order Of The Hand .
The rules are being updated, mail me if you are interested in knowing them.
\"Down in their hearts, wise men know this truth: the only way to help yourself is to help others.\"
Never take life seriously; nobody gets out alive anyway.

Lenric

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2002, 02:03:11 pm »
Well that would depend on the dragon that your speaking of I would think.
It is a well known at least in fantasy such as in the movie dragon slayer that dragons do drop and shed there scales.Now I do agree that they do not shed there skins in the conventional sense as a snake does.
 However just as you and I shed skin so might they.
also there are various different types of dragons based upon alternate cultures.

mistwalker

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2002, 11:04:40 pm »
Mythril is spelled with a y. Just FYI. It was bugging me. No biggie.

Diamond could not in reality be used for armor, because it is not strong, but hard. It is the hardest substance on earth, but it is also brittle (ie you can smash a diamond with a hammer, but id you rubbed a diamond against a piece of steel, it would scratch it)
Metal works for armor because metal dosent shatter, it bends (unless you fully tempered it).

And you can\'t say weather all dragons shed their skins or not, because there are many different versions of dragons. Some are magical, some are not. The dragon in your world maybe don\'t shed their skins, but perhaps in my world they do.
A fool and his head are soon parted.

Lenric

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2002, 12:59:09 am »
Mithril is spelled  M I T H R I L if you wont take my word for it read some of these books because reading is FUN.

The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien the creater.....of
along with the rest of the Lord of the Rings books.
The Shannara Series by Terry Brooks.
As well as in any AD&D texts,novels,by writers such as Margret Weis,Tracy Hickman,Gary Gygax,Ed Greenwood,R.A Salvatore to name a few.

In a Fantasy setting various things occur objects take on lives of their own.
Diamond could be worked into an Armor using enchantments...because enchantments are magic they could be used to alter the very substance of the diamond forming it to suit ones needs.
Using different forms of transmutation a type of magic,a skilled user could take any common stone and voila form it any way he or she chose to do so.
 I believe you are thinking more in a real life situation true diamond armor would be nearly if not impossible and ilogical to make in our world using normal means.
 But even using our methods you could make an diamond armor by simply setting the diamonds into various plates of armor already made.
You would create a diamond studded armor of whatever kind it was scale platemail and so on even without magic this could create problems for people.
In well light areas foes would be blinded even for a moment by the sparkling brightness.

Thank you for responding with what you thought was true .But in the future before you seek to instruct someone it might be wise if you collect your facts.
If you have any questions I am more than willing to answer them, if I cannot be of some help i\'ll point you where you need to go.

Len

BTW : Transmutation is the art of transformation taking one substance and making it into another.Lead to gold and so on.It often uses alchemy,potions,brews,philosophers stone,
Using Transmutation or similer magic one takes,the material and melds it redristrubting the very matter making it take other forms.It is very closely linked with what we call science today.
In a magical world
Enchanter

Reaching into a small pewter bowl on his altar Farion the transmuter pinches some pink sand like substance between his fingers.Then reaching into a small brazier holding burning hot rock diamonds.Putting his hands together he wiggles his fingers.
While muttering a strange incatation \"0yril nemobdi kyu pilo\"
His hands begin to glow with a bright blue radiance that seeps into the diamonds.Concentrating he forms the image of the diamonds becoming a soft pliable gooey substance within the brazier.

corsairk8

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2002, 06:55:10 am »
Edit: I dont really think mining will be part of the game due to the tedious and non-interesting gameplay associated with that role. Please note, its entirely possible for enchanting or smithing to appear in this game, depending on what we feel is best.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2002, 01:04:42 pm by corsairk8 »

Dwinney

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2002, 07:00:06 am »
Really?! Are you sure?! Then what will the dwarves do?? ?(  8o
When our hearts both beat in time,
There\'s magic in your smile,
It seems there\'s nothing we can\'t do.

And within your warm embrace,
My heart will find a place,
Even from afar,
Our love forever shall be, destiny.

Excerpt from L2EB  

Dumb Woob

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2002, 09:56:00 am »
no smithing wtf? grr... i am pissed as can be....

corsairk8

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2002, 10:41:33 am »
Hehe, calm down, I shouldnt have told you in the first place, but talad did suggest that he did not want mining to be part of the game. I dont know what abilities poeple will have to manipulate items, but I doubt you can create items from raw materials like \"that other game\". This is unofficial information, so please dont assume im speaking for planeshift.

I also havent played runescape, but ive heard quite alot about it. Ive visited the sites and several message boards, but I didnt find it interesting enough to play in the first place. Im sure whatever features this game will have will be interesting and addicting, but I personally cant find much enjoyment of roleplaying a smith that constantly creates items for others, simply by clicking.

Good day...

Holy_spike

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2002, 12:17:36 pm »
transmutation eh?  sounds new.

what do you people think of having lv or stat requirements for armor and eq?  Or both like d2?

btw isnt mithril(mythril ;) ) just another stronger version of silver?

EDIT: no mining?  then how do they get material for weapons and armor?  how about stone mining?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2002, 12:19:59 pm by Holy_spike »

:D WOOT! SPRING BREAK! WOOT! :D  

Dumb Woob

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2002, 07:04:42 pm »
well, corsair, i would find much fun in making a living on making and selling weapons... and the making raw materials to get would be better than buying the raw materials...

corsairk8

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2002, 09:35:42 am »
Yes, but the trouble is that a game economy will never work if you can simply create (or obtain for free) your own raw materials, and build weapons. If there is unlimited sources of metals then there would be either a situation like in RuneScape where one or two people dominates, or a massive surge of powerful items, which would devalue everything in the game, for trading. If there were few finite or limited amounts of raw materials in mines, then eventually people will run out and weapons will become too rare. In my opinion, mining hasnt worked in RuneScape, so why fall for the same trap?

Im sure you may have fun, but im not really the one to talk to about this. Im not the guy who decides this stuff. You really should just play the game when its out, and decide then if you enjoy it and wish to play it regularly. We are sure that our game will be appealing to alot of roleplayers.

Kiern

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2002, 09:44:53 am »
How about you have to complete certain quests to obtain a LIMITED amount of the items necessary for smithing, so the items are still rare and people will not control the whole game  :D  8)  8o

Holy_spike

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2002, 11:43:02 am »
You read my mind :))

Or have licencing rights on areas with ores but make it have an X amount so when u run out you run out

:D WOOT! SPRING BREAK! WOOT! :D  

Kiern

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2002, 04:14:35 pm »
oh, yea, i forgot to add something and i dont feel like finding the edit button SO.....if my idea above were to be implemented, the quest should be re-doable after a certain amount of time (a week, a month) :D  8)  8o