Author Topic: Even devs using DR as an exit?  (Read 1523 times)

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Even devs using DR as an exit?
« on: September 02, 2010, 11:14:06 am »
Every attempt will be made to not make this a spoiler....

My character happened upon an area where the developmental exit seems to be the Death Realm. Once in the area a character without a mount is trapped. There are two very nasty monsters there which one could sacrifice one too or simply die of hunger and/or lack of water after 1 rl day or so. As it turns out my character just happens to have a loaf of bread and a pouch of water so I suspect she could last a month of game time.

She is not foolish enough to throw herself at the agents of Dakkru.

My hope is that the message my companion left at the Hydlaa tavern will be received by the one it was left for and she shall get a rope and come to rescue my character. It is also my hope that there will be GM aid in seeing this RP to a happy outcome.

To present such a choice to a player is to suggest that the death realm is a great way to get out of an area that is difficult for you or perhaps you are lost in. My character's companion immediately suggested that approach. When it was explained that my character remains in the DR for 2 game days they were then open for the RP solution.

To achieve certain death; which this area seems to desire; it would be much better to have the monsters in the area being aggressive and attack characters that land there. If the monsters are defeated then there should be some way to exit the area short of a visit to Dakkru. Perhaps stepping on their dead corpses to climb out.

Being a wizard on a mud; where one guideline of coding is to not create any areas where characters become trapped without any solution; this area goes against my grain and for that reason this complaint is being logged.

- Nova

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
Re: Even devs using DR as an exit?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 11:25:27 am »
before 0.5 that map was a death trap now you should be able to get over

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 11:26:19 am »
Only if you have a mount.

- Nova

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 01:35:50 pm »
Allow me to translate the original post: "Character gets trapped at position x,x,x and must /die."  *laughs*

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 02:04:23 pm »
"Character gets trapped at position x,x,x and must /die."

It should be a good test to see if some GM wants to support RP; as opposed to using the DR as the ultimate exit.

-Nova

[Edit - One handy item on the map would be a rope. It could be dropped down from a height and used like a ladder. It should take into account ones climbing ability. It has been an item which has been RPed by my character a number of times to tie people up as well. It could have that use using some skill like lock pick to allow a character to become unbound. ]

« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 02:07:17 pm by novacadian »

RlyDontKnow

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 04:23:19 pm »
tbh I don't see that "trap" as bad thing, you shouldn't wander around in that cave, anyway.
I'm not sure what you searched down there, but I can only think of things that are *clearly* forbidden in Yliakum one could want in that area...

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 04:33:00 pm »
Allow me to translate the original post: "Character gets trapped at position x,x,x and must /die."  *laughs*

Thanks! That totally made it easier to comprehend.

There should be a way of getting out, or they should just make it deep enough for a char to die with the fall (if it's meant like a death trap.) It shouldn't depend on /die or /asking help from GMs.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 04:35:38 pm by Sangwa »
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 04:46:33 pm »
A) other characters could rescue the character. (if you are really stuck on the map and you are RPing getting unstuck, try the GM)
B) the character should get him/her/kraself out, eventually.
C) they starve/die of thirst rather than kill themselves.

If these three things happen and don't work, then a character would be likely to kill themselves.

-sig by sarras

Sarva

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 05:43:28 pm »
Sure you want a lot of attention being rescued form there Nova? Per the Octarchal Decree  just entering a burial well is punishable by banishment  ;D It just might be better to accept your self imposed 2 game day stay n the DR  ;)

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 06:23:45 pm »
Citizens found entering a burial well should be detained and brought before the Ochtarch. If they had mining tools with them at the time, then that should increase the penalty.

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 08:20:23 pm »
Why the mining tool increase penalty? Is the well ore rich? O.o

-sig by sarras

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 09:28:31 pm »
Its in the books, just a thought.

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 09:37:42 pm »
I got stuck in there as a player and RPed my way out (once, /die the others, GRRR!!!) with the help of a GM (GM's ROCK!!!), but now you can just use your springy mounts.

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 10:05:05 pm »
I'm not sure what you searched down there, but I can only think of things that are *clearly* forbidden in Yliakum one could want in that area...

Now you have my interest. :)

Citizens found entering a burial well should be detained and brought before the Ochtarch. If they had mining tools with them at the time, then that should increase the penalty.

Well considering my character has never had a pick axe wielded in her hands ever we will be making the lesser plea. :)

She had her companion leave a note for her friend to perform a rescue so we shall have to see how this RP goes. She has enough food and water to last for about a game month is my guess.

- Nova

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 12:47:44 am »
looks like something changed in collision detection again ... at 0.5 that map changed to fix this problem. will have to reopen the bug