Author Topic: Time compression  (Read 330 times)

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Time compression
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 01:58:25 pm »
Quest timeouts do not have to depend on in-game time, they can rely on real life time, and probably should. Dakkru's curse lasts 1/2 hour real time spent in the game, no?

Actually they don't, but in game time is used for example to schedule some NPC bahaviour and in the future perhaps to start game events or quests: for example a rogue related quest could be available only at night. Some in game events already use the calendar, for example invasions from BD only happens during some in-game months.

bilbous

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 03:51:07 pm »
The suggestion to eliminate game time completely wasn't meant to be taken seriously. Just because game time changed from faster to slower than real time wouldn't change much in regards to the things that rely on the game time. Your night time quests would still be available only at night and be more likely to be finished in the same night.

Let me see if I have this right  ... 1 minute real time is 6 minutes game time, 1 hour is 6, 4 hours is 1 day, 1 day is 6 days. Months are all pretty much 28 days so a month of game time is 4 days and 16 hours of real time. If you were to make a game day last two real life days you would be able to play a daylight character and a night-time character on alternate days and miss no days with either (if you log on at the same time every day.) As it stands now, how do you account for the game days between log-off and log-on? You have to gloss over them and mostly pretend they do not exist.

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 05:17:10 pm »
in theory you could track it via the calendar at the website or using the in game day/month system

bilbous

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 06:24:11 pm »
What I meant was, for example, I log in 20 hours from when I last logged out (the very next day of real time), 5 days are missing as I was not connected. I cannot reasonably refer to the last sessions activities as happening last night as they happened 5 game days ago. At this rate there is no continuity. Where was my character on those days?

Anyway I do not need to belabor this, it isn't earth shatteringly important.

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2014, 01:52:21 am »
bilbous, I think that was the reasoning behind the decision to have a 1:6 mapping for the time of the day, but a 1:1 mapping for the calendar.

bilbous

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2014, 03:36:24 am »
so the day repeats 6 times a calender day?