Author Topic: Pick pocketing  (Read 4429 times)

Jerslayer

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2004, 05:48:17 am »
the idea of \"catching\" some one is kinda useless because if they are stronger, they are just going to kill you anyway. you should only be able to pickpocket npc\'s. and most people thinking \"yah lets go, on with the looters\" will probably have an atitude change after they get looted silly.
~Jerslayer~

Socrates Demise

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2004, 02:42:27 pm »
I love the Idea of thieving and the idea of catching the thief.

I think the thief Icon would be great!

It could be tied to the thief?s selection screen.  The thief gets one second for each skill point he has in thieving, to inspect the target\'s inventory and decide what to take without the target knowing.  (Unless the target has taken a skill point in security for each point in security the they looses the use of? one point of thievery) Each item should have an overlay color depending on where it is placed and how much it weighs. Going from a green like an apple in the outside pocket of the pack (there could also be quick select amounts for gold) to more of a yellow for something like a pair of gloves in the main area of the pack.

I think the containers should have different security the most secure would be your hands because I doubt anyone would fail to notice that their giant mace was suddenly missing from their hand.  Followed by stuff that is worn...  like a belt or armor.

we could also have locked containers that the thief could not open while they are on you  and could be used to increase the weight if things like a ring by filling the container with rocks and placing the ring in it then locking it.  Or they could work as a diversion by placing one of these locked sacks with nothing but rocks inside.  The thief doesn?t know what\'s inside until he gets a chance to hide somewhere and pick the lock on it.

I also think there should be an instant fail for some items.  Like if a character with only one skill point in thieving wants to try to steal the armor off you back.

I would also make as if everything was in your hand if you are looking at you inventory.  at that time only the best of thieves could steal anything from you.

Edit: Spelling
« Last Edit: May 22, 2004, 02:47:15 pm by Socrates Demise »

Jerslayer

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2004, 05:06:52 pm »
pick pocketing should not be able to be done on real poeple..... why save hackers the trouble ;)
~Jerslayer~

Jerslayer

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2004, 05:07:30 pm »
wut u guys think?
~Jerslayer~

derwoodly

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2004, 06:34:13 am »
Why not? the game is in alfa right?  Add a pickpocket option and if it does not work take it out.

Jerslayer

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2004, 08:25:09 am »
ya, maybe we should try it for the beta, and then if it doesnt work, no harm done..... but a lot of people would be detered from the game seeing as people basically hack you and are sanctified by the ps people. if you were in a game and some one else takes your items.... isnt that hacking....?
~Jerslayer~

Skizzik

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2004, 07:07:01 am »
The devs will never implement PKing or thieving from other players, it has been decided a looong looong time ago. There already are enough ways for griefers to ruin the game for others, why give them even more?

Visit the Circle Of Legends at:
http://www.circleoflegends.tk

shangralah

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2004, 05:05:16 pm »
thank god too something as little as pick pocketing other players could make me not want to play

Aztec_Brave

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2004, 11:35:16 am »
I think that pickpocketing should be implemented, but restricted to deter griefers. Socrates\' idea for example was pretty good. Or you could have the stolen object be stolen totally randomly, with maybe the thief choosing wether he wants to steal gold or objects, and mybe at higher levels selecting from a few random objects. You could also make some kind of special compartment in backpacks or hidden under the clothes where some small objects could be stored and be totally immune from thieves.

What fun is the game without some risks? I\'ve read posts here where people refer to quest items being stolen (and the quest therefore being failed). That is stupid. You may have the item, but the quest isn\'t finished, and getting pickpocketed is no different from being killed by a monster. You just have to be carefull when handling quest items, consider it part of the quest to prevent the item being stolen.

HOW can you keep your eyes open its not like you can feel the other people coming or have eyes at the back of your head .

Actually, if you\'re in third-person view you do.

Also how do you know hes pick pocketing you its not like you have your eye on your inventory every second and he is just moving close to you.

What happens if someone is choosing something in a shop and doesnt even know he is getting pick pocketed!

Times when people are not paying attention to their belongings or distracted by something (like when they\'re buying stuff in a shop) are, even in RL, times when pickpocketing is most likely. Either be afriad to buy stuff, or risk that a thief is going to nick a for Tria (Just for the record, I am against thieving being so easy and so rewarding as to attract griefers).

[/quote]If someone took your belt how would you know it got stolen? Would you look ahead to see where you are going or look at your belt everywhere you go?
[/quote]
I reckon you would feel if somebody tugged your belt off, and this would be visually represented in some way, like a message saying \"Somebody ripped your belt off\"

If there is pick pocketing then there will be no afking, choosing items from a shop and looking at your loot because you could be stolen from.

Well if the game allows AFKing then I probably won\'t be playing it. Again, you just have to take the odd risk. Actually, this could be an excellent way to stop people AFKing.

Even your friend could be stealing from you because you dont even know him/her. You could go and get something to eat and then he/she would try to pick pocket you and then when you come back and look at your inventory you see something gone and you tell your \"friend\" your friend then says \"oh i says a person walk by i think he was the person who stole it!\"  

You just have to trust your friends, what would be the point of playing otherwise, if you didn\'t trust anyone.

-=Skyy=-

PVP pickpocketing
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2004, 03:39:26 pm »
it shouldn\'t be too bad to determine 1) if the thief succeeds in the act without being noticed 2) if anyone else say the thief do it.
and an easy way to stop thief players from looting low lvl PCs blind..a backstage infamy system. the morea  thief steals from PCs/gets caught steeling from PCs then gan points towards a %100 rating (the amount added determinded by the char level diff between the thief and the char being pickpocketed. once the thief reaches %100 infamy there could be a smallish side mission to escape capture...success would allow teh thie players Infamy rating to deminish over a preprescibed amount of time...thus giving them a life on the edge without robbing every PC blind and getting away with it... capture would result in them losing some of the loot they;ve stolen or maybe a thieving penalty for a set amount of time, to reflect the public knowledge of their misdeed?
Just some thought i had looking at the first post on this board.Hope it helps formulate some ideas

-=Skyy=-

-=Skyy=-

(No subject)
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2004, 04:41:34 pm »
Originally posted by Drilixer
high risk low reward/... bah humbug that is ridiculous - don\'t make the thief character a novelty so that you can list the numbers of characters in the game and amaze new players - if a thief class is to be implented it has to be a viable character and some way to steal from player characters is a MUST for a mmorpg

yes theiving is almost required for realizm, but whats the point of Developing a Story if the thieves can jsut steal all the high lvl items fom the players that busted tehre butts earning them? I honestly as  an avid Table top role player and fast addicted to MMORPG player se little gratification in swiping every major item i have, while ruing another players joy at earning that item through playing the Story aspect of the game.
all out theft would unbalnce the game terribly, everyone would play thieves except maybe Noobs and they\'d be chased around by thieves all day that are too lazy to work for there stuff... because they\'re too busy keeping other thieves from stealing it

-=Skyy=-

Tyriel

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2004, 04:55:46 am »
No pick Pocketing??? what?? that SUCKS.. Bardon me but really that sucks big time..

What is medival rpg without thieves.. make it extra hard then or almost impossible to pickpocket on real players but please just implent it in..

whats the point of loving thieves and having a noble honorable thieves guild..

I understand that some ppl are just who they are.. mean grief and phatetic little f***s whod do anything to just annoy another players and ... you know what I mean..but just leaving one of the greatest skills of thieves out... CMON

Think of something.. something ...
\"I have the power to take everything from you.. Including your life\"

Guild for Warriors and Thieves..Guild for adventurers of Strenght and Dexterity-- Portal to our realm http://www.swordofsilence.tk

kenyo

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2004, 01:56:46 pm »
i have an idea! (even tho it is to late couse i heard it
was going to be gone in next update)

there should be cop NPC\'s and if you hit a key you yell thief! and the cops come!
so if you know you are being robs you can turn, fight, and get him surruondedbye cops!
so you could steal but it is risky!
also, if you yell thief and there is none you get a warning
then if it happens agian you get a small fine for faking it!
but if he gets out of your sight and you steal don\'t know it happend then you lost it so all you g2 do is be aware!
and they can even make it so when they tri you steal from you it makes a hard, but noticable unique sound!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 01:57:21 pm by kenyo »
demonoid is best of the best!

Cyberchu

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2004, 02:18:14 pm »
Well If you allow pick pocketing you allow open PK
i.e
I am a high level warior and I decide to practice my thief skills on someone. If I fail then I will kill them, else I nick some of their stuff either way I don\'t get caught.
Under construction

It is through suggestions and critisisms that we improve our ideas

Remember to

FESFES

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2004, 06:09:53 pm »
Pickpocketing will cause a lot of hate. If there is wepons or armor shouldnt be able to be stolen.
I think special pickpocketing items shoud be made

It is easier to hate than it is to love.