Author Topic: DEP Compatiable Version?  (Read 702 times)

egads

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
DEP Compatiable Version?
« on: February 13, 2009, 10:34:06 pm »
Greetings,

I download PlaneShift-vo.4.03.exe torrent installed in and ran the update program.  Upon completion of this process

neither the psclient.exe or pssetup.exe would run properly.  I received the following errors:

error box 1
Something unexpedted happend in PlaneShift: Steel Blue Details: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION at 05267280 Would you

like to save a diagnostic file? (yes / no)

upon yes selection
error box 2
Failed to create dump file 'C:\Program Files\PlaneShift Steel Blue\PlaneShift_Version_Nov 30 2008_Addr05267280.dmp' (error 5)

Microsoft Windows error box
psclient.exe has stoped working (close program)

upon close program selection
psclient.exe was closed
to help protect your computer Data Execution prevention has closed psclient.exe

My system is:

Windows edition
Windows Vista Home Premium
Service Pack 1

System
Dell
AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60 2.0GHz
2.00 GB Ram
32-bit Operating System
ATI Radeon X1270 Graphics Card

I was able to cause the psclient.exe and pssetup.exe to launch by turning off DEP in the following manner:

To stop the DEP protection, launch an elevated command prompt shell with administrative priviledges and credentials
(log on to Windows Vista with a user account with administrator rights, and then right click on Command Prompt icon
and select “Run as Administrator, or turn off UAC). Then execute the following command:

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff

If you regret your decision and now wants to enable or turn back on the DEP protection for your Windows Vista,
simply use the following command instead:

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOn

Other Values are OptIn and OptOut
To retore to default select OptIn

However, I was not able to add the psclient.exe or pssetup.exe to the DEP list throught windows.  I have reenabled
the DEP protection and would like to know if there is another way to solve this issue?

Thank You

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
Re: DEP Compatiable Version?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 08:18:28 am »
this is the _only_ thread i have found about DEP http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=33306.msg383545;topicseen#msg383545 also try to run psclient as admin and see if that helps any.

Roberra

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 10:03:11 am »
For others looking for the resolution to this issue I am currently working on it. Hopefully I will have something in a few short days. I know your frustration and sorry we have no links available that help with this issue currently. I'll have something here soon.

P.S. Vista sucks

enderandrew

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • Caamasi Disciples
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 12:43:25 pm »
Vista is pretty terrible.  However, I got the game to run on Windows 7 x64, so I'm pretty sure it can run under Vista as well.

I installed the game to C:\Planeshift so that the updater wouldn't have issue writing to the directory (C:\Program Files\ is protected).  I also run the updater and client in administrator mode just in case.  DEP hasn't caused any issues for me personally.
http://caamasi-disciples.com - A SW:TOR Republic guild focused on casual players who want to play "the Good Guy."

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 01:43:43 pm »
These Directions are for the LAST release 0.4.01 NOT what is now available on the download page 0.4.02, Current Release for PlaneShift is 0.4.03 the following is here to help others if they have issues in the future.
WINDOWS
1. install  Planeshift like any other program
1.a if on Vista do _not_ install in program files folder

we have a sticky in this board that even suggests if on vista to NOT install install in Program Files due to issues. This is the easiest way to work around this issue. It would also seem that since most people have not posted that this fix works for most.

Lanarel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 05:52:40 pm »
I am running both the binary install and trunk clients in vista without a problem. The only time I see a DEP warning is sometimes after a crash. Since I am sure those crashes had nothing to do with DEP (I was testing a bug), I do not think you need to change anything to DEP settins.
ALso, DEP has a reason. Disabling it completely because of a vague hunch does not make sense. If you do need to disable it, there are more specific ways.