Author Topic: Another Smelly Access Violation..  (Read 645 times)

morbiddez

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Another Smelly Access Violation..
« on: March 24, 2009, 08:43:54 pm »
I feel like a total nub here due to the abundance of these...

But heres the specs

EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION at 05BDABC0

Windows Vista Home Premium
AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60
3.00 GB RAM
ATI Radeon X1270

I had plans to introduce someone to the game tonight, and this is their system, not mine which is having issues. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help out.

morbiddez

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Re: Another Smelly Access Violation..
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 11:16:01 pm »
Thanks for the reply!

Call me a noob, really, honestly.

Im just not understanding the procedure here.. at all..

And btw the setup options, where I would edit the VBO setting, stops working when I try to open it. Tried opening as admin with XP compatability, no such luck.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 11:23:32 pm by morbiddez »

Pizik

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 02:56:14 am »
Okie, that thread basically says you should edit an option in pssetup.exe to make things stop crashing. Your problem is more severe because you can't even open pssetup.exe. It also suggests you use the 8.4 Catalyst Drivers (the name for ATi Graphics Drivers). I am not sure if this will exactly help with you, considering pssetup.exe is not exactly a graphics intensive thing. Maybe it would work for you though.

Download the 8.4 Graphics Drivers from the ATi website and install them.
Or:
If you're running Vista or Windows 7, I recommend the new Catalyst 9.3 beta as it uses the new windows driver model.

Good Luck.
Proceeding through life like a cat without whiskers, perpetually stuck behind the refrigerator.

enderandrew

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • Caamasi Disciples
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 12:54:18 pm »
Right click on pssetup.exe and go to properties.

Go to the compatibility tab.

Try setting compatibility to XP, and running as administrator.

Also if you installed the game in C:\Program Files\Planeshift, I would uninstall and reinstall the game somewhere else like C:\Planeshift so that you don't run into issues with UAC telling you the app can't write to C:\Program Files.  That is only for Vista and Windows 7.

As for Catalyst, there was a problem that I believe was introduced with Catalyst 8.5, hence the recommendation to stay with 8.4.  Others have posted they no longer have the issue with newer Catalyst releases.  I run 9.3, and I don't have the problem.  So I would recommend Catalyst 9.2 on XP, and 9.3 beta on Vista or Windows 7.  That is just me.

Edit: Tuxide just noted in another thread that the game still crashes with VBO turned on, even with running the 9.3 drivers.  So you may still need to turn off VBO.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 12:56:44 pm by enderandrew »
http://caamasi-disciples.com - A SW:TOR Republic guild focused on casual players who want to play "the Good Guy."

Pizik

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 01:53:45 pm »
Tried opening as admin with XP compatability, no such luck.

As for uninstall/reinstall, I would suggest just copying the PlaneShift Steel Blue directory as a whole out of the Program Files directory. There is nothing that should break in the process.

@enderandrew: Please read the thread and not just the OP ;o)
Proceeding through life like a cat without whiskers, perpetually stuck behind the refrigerator.