Author Topic: Character creation and PSSetup  (Read 968 times)

Severance

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Character creation and PSSetup
« on: March 25, 2009, 06:13:56 pm »
I downloaded PlaneShift and started the game, the title screen loaded up perfectly. However, after logging in and going to the character creation screen, Some of the features would not load and for some reason, I would have to press enter after every single action to go anywhere at all. Not only that, but the character wouldn't load.

I thought that going to the PlaneShift setup would help, but the setup screen did virtually the same thing, the box was black and warping colors when I minimize-maximized.

I know that this can't be a problem with my graphics card because when I did see glimpses of my character during character creation, the character was moving seamlessly.

Can anybody please help, I'm anxious to play the game and get involved in the community.

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
Re: Character creation and PSSetup
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 06:43:37 pm »
system stats? also can you post a screenshot of the issue?

Severance

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 05:50:07 pm »
Here's the setup screen:

And here's the character creation screen"

neko kyouran

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 11:59:55 pm »
who makes your computers video card, and what opeating system are you running?

your graphics card drivers appear to be out of date and need to be updated.  but we can't help you withthat, unless you tell us what hardward/software you use.

:)

Severance

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 10:32:12 am »
Ahh, sorry

Here's my graphics card (I know it's pretty bad...):
Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family
Chip Type: Intel(R) GMA 950
DAC Type: Internal

enderandrew

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • Caamasi Disciples
http://caamasi-disciples.com - A SW:TOR Republic guild focused on casual players who want to play "the Good Guy."

Severance

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 03:05:20 pm »
Here's the message I get when Intel's driver update utility finishes running:
"A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver Update Utility is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact your computer manufacturer for the latest driver for your computer"

Should I still continue with the process?

enderandrew

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • Caamasi Disciples
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 03:54:25 pm »
Certain OEMs like Dell don't want you updating drivers per se, which makes little sense.  So they alter the original drivers and have a special manufacturer version.  They've even gone so far as to ask AMD/ATI to not allow people to upgrade ATI drivers on Dell laptops.  Installing the proper Intel drivers should be the way to go.  However, I am a little curious who your PC manufacturer is.
http://caamasi-disciples.com - A SW:TOR Republic guild focused on casual players who want to play "the Good Guy."

Prolix

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 04:22:47 pm »
You might want to check the laptop manufacturer's website for updated drivers instead.

Severance

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 09:43:45 pm »
I have a Vaio laptop (VGN-N365E/B model) and after a few minutes of searching around I came across the drivers specific to my laptop. I updated the driver for my graphics card but for some reason, the same buggy interface persists! Does anybody know why? Thank you all for the help you've given me so far though :)

enderandrew

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • Caamasi Disciples
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 10:19:58 pm »
Many (if not most) 3D games on Windows rely on DirectX.  PlaneShift, like many open source and multiplatform games utilizes OpenGL.  The OpenGL framework is provided by your video driver.

If the Sony provided driver does not work, you may want to try the Intel specific one.  You can always uninstall the Intel one and go back to the Sony provided one if you want later.

However, you may want to test if OpenGL functions are working.  You can try a benchmark app that uses OpenGL to see if it is working.

Or you can try loading another game that utilizes OpenGL.

Looking at Intel's website, it says the 945GM onboard graphics support OpenGL up to version 1.4.  If PlaneShift is utilizing OpenGL 2.0 calls these days, then your card isn't supported.  The hardware requirements listed on planeshift.it say you need a Geforce 3 or newer, which I believe is before OpenGL 2.0 came out, but I also don't know if those specs are up to date for what PlaneShift truly requires these days.  Someone else may be better equipped to answer that question.