Author Topic: timey wimey wibbly wobbly stuff  (Read 232 times)

Rirenil Masdo

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
timey wimey wibbly wobbly stuff
« on: December 30, 2013, 07:11:59 pm »
watch this when ever you get a free 10 minutes of time.  you can thank me later http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5wpm-gesOY

i'm glad i have long ago since retired.  i don't even have to take blood pressure medicine anymore.
"Jekkar really is Planeshift's very own Van Gogh - an iconoclastic rulebreaker, unheralded by his peers, who must await for history to recognise his talents at a later date." - Rinenud
"Jekkar is an old one-eared smelly elitist party-pooper jerkface."  - Neko K

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Re: timey wimey wibbly wobbly stuff
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 07:57:27 pm »

What's funny about dealing with computer time too is that computer clocks drift all over the place. Even if you use special hardware and clock synching software to keep more accurate time, there is always some variance.

Rirenil Masdo

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 09:22:26 pm »
i remember an article coming out a little while back that basically said because of the changes microsoft did to windows 8 and how it functions on mobile type devices to conserve battery life, they had to void all benchmarks scored on anything running that OS.  something along the lines that the OS saves power by forgoing the idea to keep the internal clock ticking correctly or something, thus allowing people to exploit it to make it look like the benchmark test took less time to do than what it really did.

i've personally never been all that interested in an epeen score, but there is apparently a very big audience that does.  don't know if that was resolved yet or not.

time is fun!
"Jekkar really is Planeshift's very own Van Gogh - an iconoclastic rulebreaker, unheralded by his peers, who must await for history to recognise his talents at a later date." - Rinenud
"Jekkar is an old one-eared smelly elitist party-pooper jerkface."  - Neko K

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 10:16:36 pm »
I was completely shocked when I first learned that Microsoft's clock synching software allowed the clock to drift by a matter of minutes ( 15 I think? ) before it tried to correct it.  This was for XP at the time.

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 11:06:22 pm »
Great video.

15 minutes is ridiculous. ntp wouldn't allow such huge shift.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 11:26:27 pm »
There are different things that skew the clock. Some PCs have clocks that run too fast or too slow. Sometimes the environment or source of power itself will influence the speed of the PC's clock. Changes in room or machine temperature will do this too. Ie. if your room swings from 70 degrees in the morning to 80 degrees at high noon, this will influence the clock's speed, likewise, a hot graphics card or cpu from heavy processing can do it too.

Even with NTP and a reliable external temperature controlled time source or connection to an atomic clock, if you correct the clock on your PC every second, or every 10th of a second, the time that your PC produces can look more like a jagged saw tooth pattern than a straight line.

The best solution I've seen so far for PCs was a third party application called "PresenTense Time Client" by Bytefusion that adjusted the algorithms for slowing and speeding the clock so that it produced a more sane representation of the current time.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 05:38:04 am »
You wouldn't believe how wrong a radio clock (DCF77) can go when the reception is not optimal: Only different daytime is luck; even a different year is possible. Mostly due to the lack of error detection in this low speed protocol (the time code is sent with one bit per second during a minute via longwave).

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 08:53:43 pm »
My microwave was about 15 minutes ahead of real time halfway into the last school semester. At least I was always early to class.
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows